Chaos Campaign Ideas

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Implementor37

Chaos Campaign Ideas

Post by Implementor37 »

So I've been thinking about writing a campaign and here's what I've come up with so far: the campaign will use War of Legends (I enjoy the additional tactical opportunities presented by chaos, aragwaithi, vampires, windsong, etc.) and star a band of renegade Chaos Empire/Legion soldiers--forced recruits from a recently conquered village. Contrary to most WoL campaigns, the Chaos will ally with the vampires and attempt to defeat Windsong, Aragwaith, normal Chaos, Orcs, Elves, etc. so that they may earn a plot of land on the vampire's borders (near the Aragwaith) and peace with the vampires as well. I haven't seen a campaign feature the chaos soldiers yet, so this would provide players with a new take on a UMC era. However, while I can write plot text, I have a horrible time inventing names. As a result I'm looking for:
1) Name of Protagonist (Chaos Lieutenant)
2) Name of Protagonist's Home Village
3) Name of Vampire Lord
4) Name of a Vampiric Converter unit (idea I had for a unit gifted by the vampires with bloodborn-creating plague, drain, marksman (at L3), and a low-number of strikes (10-2 L2, 12-2 L3)
5) NPC Names for random Windsong/Aragwaith/Chaos characters.
6) Name of the Campaign in general (Easier once I know names of main characters, but I'd love suggestions)
Also wanted:
-feedback on whether it would be better to stick with WoL's "Legion" faction or PM shadowm for permission to use his Chaos faction.
-Any other feedback at all while I'm still drafting the idea (before I actually starting writing the scenarios, etc) would be wonderful.
-Ideas as to how I can make sure that this campaign stays within the timeline of Arkenova/Irdya presented by IftU/AtS, The Legend Begins, and the War of the Jewel trilogy if at all possible.
Thanks for your input! It's greatly appreciated!
Author of End of the Legion, available now on the 1.12 and 1.13 servers!
Supporter of the addition of the Aragwaithi into mainline.
Eagle_11

Re: Chaos Campaign Ideas

Post by Eagle_11 »

1. Open a skirmish round with War of Legends
2. Be desired faction and recruit a random unit
3. Give name the unit got to character in story.
4. ???
5. Profit!
:lol:
Implementor37

Post by Implementor37 »

Eagle_11 wrote:
3. Give name the unit got to character in story.
:lol:
I thought about doing this, but I was afraid that the random-name-generator would (somehow) generate another unit with the same name. Then I'd have a hero and a soldier with the same name :augh: . Is this something I should worry about at all, or is the name-generator random enough that it would never show up twice (especially if I limited the number of scenarios possible to recruit new Chaos units to ~4 scenarios)
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Well, the namelists are usually long enough to get the same name twice in a round is rare, and then even if it happent you can simply pretend your hero got famous enough that parents started to name their children after him(or smth like that).
Implementor37

Post by Implementor37 »

Ok. Thanks for the advice!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Implementor37 wrote:-Ideas as to how I can make sure that this campaign stays within the timeline of Arkenova/Irdya presented by IftU/AtS, The Legend Begins, and the War of the Jewel trilogy if at all possible.
I believe a good first step would be to exclude IftU and AtS from that list, seeing as how TLB is incompatible with them story-wise (no idea about WotJ).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Implementor37

Post by Implementor37 »

Good to know. I guess I should stick with TLB as I don't see a possible way to get Vampires and Windsong mixed with Shaxthals story-wise... Mostly I was wanting advice on how best to avoid conflicts. I'm thinking I should set my campaign either before or after TLB, whichever is easier (probably before). Then at least its semi-plausible that both could occur without contradicting each other...
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Implementor37 wrote: Mostly I was wanting advice on how best to avoid conflicts.
If you make the story happen off in some outpost or backwater, you could get away with some vague references to the things you are trying to be compatible with, and then not worry about it too much. It might make sense; more likely your Chaos faction could rebel from the rest of the Chaos faction if they weren't at the heart of everything, and had some isolation to get their own ideas. They capture local districts of the other factions, overthrow governors rather than empires, and get the land they desired.

(I don't know TLB, so maybe it doesn't work. But for something like the mainline universe, I think it works.)
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Hello there :D

As the author of The Legend Begins, I will offer my suggestions and comment on this new campaign-in-the-works.
Contrary to most WoL campaigns, the Chaos will ally with the vampires and attempt to defeat Windsong, Aragwaith, normal Chaos, Orcs, Elves, etc. so that they may earn a plot of land on the vampire's borders (near the Aragwaith) and peace with the vampires as well

Most WOL campaigns? There are only 4 (revansurik made 3 of them :P ). I greatly favour the idea of playing as the antagonistic factions for a change.
Hmm, however, there were some changes made to the initial storyline of TLB and you might have to take them into account if you wish to have your campaign added to the WOL-storyline.
I believe a good first step would be to exclude IftU and AtS from that list, seeing as how TLB is incompatible with them story-wise (no idea about WotJ).
TLB and the Dragon Trilogy are no longer part of the same storyline due to some complications and mutual disagreement for explaining the events of the possible storyline of the third and final campaign of the Jahin Trilogy. War of the Jewel was supposed to feature Arkenova, but it was changed to another continent due to this issue.

As for IftU and AtS, I agree with the fact that I went 'overboard' with the inclusion of the Chaos Empire in TLB. It significantly ruined the plans I had for the sequel (Hero of Irdya) and hence, I decided to not include the great Shadowmaster's campaigns in my storyline (even though he didn't make the sequel for AtS, I still address him as 'the great' since his campaigns are just too awesome! :P )
-Ideas as to how I can make sure that this campaign stays within the timeline of Arkenova/Irdya presented by IftU/AtS, The Legend Begins, and the War of the Jewel trilogy if at all possible.
The best advice would be PM the author...Oh wait, that's me.... :hmm:

I have made many more significant changes to the storyline for TLB (which is being remade) and here are some of them:
1. The Aragwaithi no longer make an appearance in TLB. They will make their appearance in the sequel: HoI.
2. Minotaurs have a more significant role to play.
3. Jalin is now around 30 years older than Jahin and he becomes Jahin's mentor.
4. The Desert Elves are now the last antagonist in TLB
5. The map of Arkenova has been changed completely.

However, please send me your drafts/ideas via PM and I will help you fit it into the current timeline.
(if you need the new plot and timeline of TLB for reference, I can send them to you)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Implementor37

Post by Implementor37 »

Here's a copy of my current Ideas.txt file containing the sum of my current plans for this Campaign (I'm leaning towards the name Out of Chaos, comes Order) If you have any comments/suggestions on this, I'd be glad to hear them!
Attachments
Ideas.txt
Current Plan for OoCcO--18 Scenarios
(5 KiB) Downloaded 583 times