Legend of the Invincibles

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which of these units you find worth advancing and gearing heavily? Unpopular ones will be reworked.

Prophet
21%
Reaper
12%
Scythemaster
8%
Shadowalker
7%
Shadow Prince
8%
Siege Troll
5%
Sky Goblin
2%
Snow Hunter
8%
Soul Shooter
2%
Swordmaster
11%
Troll Boulderlobber
1%
Warlock
10%
Werewolf Rider
2%
Zombie Rider
3%

Total votes: 244

Dugi

Re: Legend of the Invincibles

Post by Dugi »

Well, it looked the same also for me back in the day when I was writing it. But the difference is that filter_adjacent finds units around unit on the given coordinates, and filter_location finds units around the location on the given coordinates. As a result, filter_adjacent fails to find anything if there is no unit on the coordinates given, regardless of the units next to the location.
dabber

Post by dabber »

I only find one piece of code that matches your snippet exactly, and replacing just that only that fixes half the problem - 2 guys still get missed. When I attempted to apply the same logic to replace the existing filter_adjacent for pierce_target_hex as well, it hits all the right guys. BUT it does extra damage to the first target if the second target is missing. Did you catch this one, or did I mess up extra?

Correct if everyone is present.
hackalltargetsokay.jpg
hackalltargetsokay.jpg (44.43 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
But if one is missing, somehow I hurt the initial target more.
hackmissinguyhurtsmore.jpg
hackmissinguyhurtsmore.jpg (46.4 KiB) Viewed 4589 times
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

2 guys still get missed. When I attempted to apply the same logic to replace the existing filter_adjacent for pierce_target_hex as well, it hits all the right guys. BUT it does extra damage to the first target if the second target is missing. Did you catch this one, or did I mess up extra?
This was my mistake. I forgot that while filter_adjacent picks units next to the given unit, filter_location with radius=1 picks all units adjacent to the location and also the unit on the location. So some units were picked and damaged more than once. Also, you can safely use filter_adjacent when picking around $x1,$y1 or $x2,$y2, because these are the coordinates of attacker and defender, which must exist (this event fires before attacker or defender dies if a killing blow is dealt).
Replace the whole event by this code:
Thanks for cooperation.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Syntax error in that version, and it still has an extra damage bug. I think the below version is correct. At least it passes the tests I've tried.
Dugi, I never would have gotten anywhere with understanding how to fix it without your explanations in the last few posts. Thanks again for all your effort.
Spoiler:
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Thanks for fixing it, I always fail to remember to check for syntax errors.
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

Dugi, three questions about the campaign:

1- Is there a reason of why Efraim's starting sword of Krux is stronger during the first equip? The bonuses are reduced to +3 melee damage and +20% magic damage once it's unequipped and equipped again. The resists are also lost.

2- On chapter 1 scenario 14 the prologue says about argan being destroyed and etc, but he's still around at the start of the scenario during 3 turns. I suppose something changed between versions, but the prologue wasn't updated if that's the case. Or am I missing something?

3- On the final chapters demons start appearing as enemies, and I noticed there were demon lords and demon overlords among them, but aren't the ranks backwards? Shouldn't overlords be the stronger ones? Or is there another meaning to the word I'm not aware?
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

1) No. It was my mistake, the tutorial menu isn't doing the same operations as other menus and when I was reducing the stats of the Sword of Krux (it was too strong before), I forgot to edit some versions that appeared in the tutorial.
2) He wasn't destroyed, he just swapped bodies. He doesn't have the new look, right?
3) Well, in Invasion from the Unknown (really amazing campaign, btw), Demon Lords were the absolutely greatest of demonkind. Overlord does indeed sound superior, I will consider changing their name.
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

Dugi wrote:2) He wasn't destroyed, he just swapped bodies. He doesn't have the new look, right?
Yes, he still retains his old death knight/advancement class, that's why I asked.

The prologue says they crushed his body - I believe to allow the soul to travel to the general's body.

By the way, I think I messed up - I meant scenario 15, not 14.
Attachments
scenario 15 first turn
scenario 15 first turn
scenario 15 prologue
scenario 15 prologue
wuxiangjinxing

Post by wuxiangjinxing »

I'll suggest forget this. It's of no reason to create a unit that will leave your party in 3 turns. When Argan comes back in the next scenerio, you'll see his lich form. You can just imagine that Argan could not find so fancy clothes and armors until he went back to his own emperor.

By the way, although I'm not a native English speaker at all, I guess the sentence shown in this figure should be:

I shall be leaving you very soon, the duties in my valley are waiting for me. If I am borrowing any items you need, take them. I do not want to owe you even more than I already did.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Zolm wrote:Yes, he still retains his old death knight/advancement class, that's why I asked.
wuxiangjinxing wrote:I'll suggest forget this. It's of no reason to create a unit that will leave your party in 3 turns.
I don't have to create a new unit type for that. I can change his unit type to the type he has later in the campaign, it's not too hard.
wuxiangjinxing wrote:I shall be leaving you very soon, the duties in my valley are waiting for me. If I am borrowing any items you need, take them. I do not want to owe you even more than I already did.
I don't think so. We need somebody who speaks English natively to tell who's right.
dabber

Post by dabber »

On do vs did in that quote, Dugi's version is correct ("do"). Although it reads decently either way.

On the Dragon Rider and Drakilian
Do you agree that his movement should roughly match that of a fire dragon, instead of being based on a horse?

Yes, resistances are generally much better than defense. Not sure what I meant back there.

In chapter 7, my dragon rider is doing better than I remember from chapter 5. He now has Lightbringer's Trident, which is much better generally than The Impaler. He has better body armour, better other armour, and a Helm of Paladins. Physical resistances are 72/57/60, he has suck 4 with the lance and drain with the bite. He does not like ranged combat much here, but he has a couple bonuses to arcane and cold resist, so the Corrupted stuff doesn't wreck him.
Is there any equipment that can improve his fire breath? I need to spend more AMLAs on it certainly, but is there anything else possible?
wuxiangjinxing

Post by wuxiangjinxing »

I personally think resistance is NOT better than defense in LOTI because: (1) there are lots of items which increase resistance, but not so many which can increase defense (2) the more resistance you have, the less bonus you get from an item.
xuanquang

Post by xuanquang »

@dabber: a good set for dragon rider:
- Dark sword of destruction (should be equipped from he was a grand knight), Lightbringer trident
- Dark glove of destruction, Dark helm of destruction, Mystic armor of untouchable, deflector of light (boots) (for offense)/Dugi's ward (boots)(for defense)
- gloomy set (best for offense)/ pale rider set (best for defense)
So he has 11 lance strikes and 9 bite strikes with suck 4, 7+ breath-fire strikes with incinerate (i think it's 9), btw, good enough!
@wuxiangjinxing:
In part II, most of enemies has super-strong magical attacks, so magical resistances are very important while defense is useless.
dabber

Post by dabber »

Thanks for the advice xuanquang, but I don't have a lot of that!
I'm annoyed I didn't leave my Dragon Rider with Deathwhirl (for penetrate) from being a Grand Knight, but I messed up there. The only Dark set I've seen in part II is the gloves (twice). He is wearing something like the Mystic Armour, but I forget exactly what item. I have a ton of awesome armours in part II that are vastly beyond anything seen in part I. I don't have the complete Pale Rider set. Still short a couple gems to make Dugi's Ward. I hadn't thought about Deflector of Light boots, but I'll look into it. I am considering crafting him Murderlust boots (because his boots are uninteresting now) for bonus healing and penetrate.

@wuxiangjinxing
Even in part I, I was not a fan of defense. Only rarely was I worried about attacks that paid attention to defense - the scary stuff is usually magical. I mostly used plus defense items to make sure the bad defense guys (heavy infantry, Dwarfs in flat/forest) were less bad, and only rarely to make high defense. In part II, I barely pay attention to bonus defense.
Drakilian

Post by Drakilian »

dabber wrote:On do vs did in that quote, Dugi's version is correct ("do"). Although it reads decently either way.

On the Dragon Rider and Drakilian
Do you agree that his movement should roughly match that of a fire dragon, instead of being based on a horse?

Yes, resistances are generally much better than defense. Not sure what I meant back there.

In chapter 7, my dragon rider is doing better than I remember from chapter 5. He now has Lightbringer's Trident, which is much better generally than The Impaler. He has better body armour, better other armour, and a Helm of Paladins. Physical resistances are 72/57/60, he has suck 4 with the lance and drain with the bite. He does not like ranged combat much here, but he has a couple bonuses to arcane and cold resist, so the Corrupted stuff doesn't wreck him.
Is there any equipment that can improve his fire breath? I need to spend more AMLAs on it certainly, but is there anything else possible?
Yeah, Dugi's right.

Oh yeah, it definitely makes way more sense, just defending the awesome dragon rider :D

Lightbringer's is awesome.
xuanquang wrote:@dabber: a good set for dragon rider:
- Dark sword of destruction (should be equipped from he was a grand knight), Lightbringer trident
- Dark glove of destruction, Dark helm of destruction, Mystic armor of untouchable, deflector of light (boots) (for offense)/Dugi's ward (boots)(for defense)
- gloomy set (best for offense)/ pale rider set (best for defense)
So he has 11 lance strikes and 9 bite strikes with suck 4, 7+ breath-fire strikes with incinerate (i think it's 9), btw, good enough!
@wuxiangjinxing:
In part II, most of enemies has super-strong magical attacks, so magical resistances are very important while defense is useless.
What wonderful world do you live in where you get anywhere near the amount of gems needed for anything from the dugi set?

The only complete set i've gotten in the game is the Rhaerant set, which I had on Efraim in Lotl 1 (I was so sad when he lost it all. I was expecting it, but I was still sad. It took such a long time to get it).

I've only seen dark stuff in the second and of those i've only seen the gloves (no helms or swords).

Ice armour is better than Mystic if you can get it (it counteracts the dragon rider's biggest weakness and has some pretty awesome resistances)