Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Telchin

Re: Inky's Quest - The Cuttlefish Campaign

Post by Telchin »

Rise up thread! Rise from the depths of the forum! After Inky's Quest got over 8500 downloads on the 1.10 server, I've updated the campaign for the new stable branch (1.12.0)! This version of Inky's Quest is labeled 1.4.0 and has 12 playable scenarios (just like the last version for 1.10 branch). Enjoy!
Speaking of Wesnoth's new version, 1.11 and later allows lifting fog on a part of the map (instead of just fog on/ fog off in previous versions), so now in "Changing of the Guard" killing each Saurian Conconctionist reveals cca one quarter of the map. Other than that this first version for 1.12 branch is pretty much same gameplay-wise as the last release for 1.10 branch (I've corrected some typos in the Czech translation though).
Frequent readers of this thread might remember, that I'm finishing my law studies , hence my long absence. I haven't finished the university yet (I'm close though ;) ), so don't expect any big changes in cca next six months. That said, if you find any bugs (or want to stroke my ego :oops: ) feel free to comment. :D
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

Thanks for doing this. Looks like there's plenty to keep me occupied at Christmas.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Thanks for doing this. Looks like there's plenty to keep me occupied at Christmas.
You're welcome. It has less with Christmas and more with 1.12.0 being released recently and me trying to update the campaign as soon as possible.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Gaaa!

I love this campaign and so I'm happy it is available on 1.12 :D
and this love makes me to translate this campaign into Japanese. :)

This is the Japanese (ja) translation. Could you add it to the next release?

Actually, this tranlation is originally created for the previous version.
but I only need to add just two sentences for this latest one, fortunately ;)

and two Minor issues:
-Globster's melee does not have swarm special. Is it intentional?
-typo on initial gold for scenario 9 (Old Lich...). 2000 gold for the hardest difficulty is too much...

Edited: attachment is removed since updated one is available in my comment below
Last edited by tamanegi on November 29th, 2014, 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

and this love makes me to translate this campaign into Japanese. :)

This is the Japanese (ja) translation. Could you add it to the next release?
Thanks! I'll update it when I'll have the time (as mentioned above I have constant lack of time due to my study).
typo on initial gold for scenario 9 (Old Lich...). 2000 gold for the hardest difficulty is too much...
:shock: Thanks for pointing it out. Yes it's a typo. I didn't noticed because I actually play my campaing only on the lowest difficulty (to make sure there aren't bugs) and rely on other players for balance suggestions (as I'm a rather weak player.)
-Globster's melee does not have swarm special. Is it intentional?
Yes, it is. This was the original desing intention of the unit - weaker than its alternative (Kraken), but without that drawback. The plague special was added later, because players felt that despite the lack of swarm it was still inferior to the Kraken.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Version 1.4.1 released! It's same as 1.4.0, except now also with Japanese translation. Congratulations, tamanegi! Your translation seems to work and I've added you to the campaign's credits. That said, I've noticed that you leave names of characters in English. I suppose that transliterating made-up names (Ravyan, Sosarix, etc.) to Japanese script might be hard (or impossible - I don't speak or write Japanese), but some names (Master Sea Head, Inky, etc.) are meaningful and are intended to be translated (e.g "Master Sea Head" becomes "Mistr Mořská hlava" in Czech and "Meister Meereskopf" in German).
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

We usually don't translate names such as Sosarix and Ravyan simply because it's difficult. (your guess is completely right :) ) Even in mainline campaigns, character names are usually kept unchanged; "Konrad" is still "Konrad" in Japanese. Thanks to this tradition, japanese players including me are familiar with those non-japanese names. (Some players might even feel some kinds of uncomfortable in japanized names :shock: ) So I think original English names are better than not-so-good japanese names. That's why I left names such as Inky, Beaky, Flamy unchanged. (Their names are meaningful, but corresponding japanese names are completely unsuitable for this fantasy world) For Master Sea Head, actually I tried to think up a good japanese name for him, ... i finally decided not to tranlate his name. :cry: In contrast, Eternal Slave, one of my favorite characters, can be easy translated. :)
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Thanks for the explanation. In Czech (or English, etc.) we transliterate Japanese (or other non-Latin script using language) into the Latin script, so I was baffled that Japanese leaves the English names not only not translated, but also not transliterated. However, you're correct that the Japanese translations of mainline Wesnoth campaigns uses this convention. It's bit unfortunate that you couldn't translate Master Sea Head, as the opening narration describes why he is called that. (Maybe at least the "Master" could be replaced by a honorific? Once again I don't speak Japanese, so I'll trust your judgement.) I should also mention that I might be without computer access for cca two days, so I might not be able to respond for some time.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Honestly, I am not so for sure about my decision.
There is a kind of forum place for japanese people (though it's unofficial). I should get a feedback from those people. So far i don't get such kinds of requests... (I made ja translation for version 1.33 available for them before submitting here :) )

The word "Master" itself appears in the japanese conversation in almost the same meaning and the same pronounciation, so i guess people understand what you wanna mean in "Master Sea Head" (even if it's not transliterated). If translteration or something is required or requested, I would ask you to replace the translation.

Thank you for your kind attention.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Don't worry, I don't want to boss you. As I've mentioned above I don't know much about Japanese, so if you think it's OK for japanese players, I'll have to believe you. That said, while looking into the .po file, I've noticed that you've also not translated "Niuhi the Shark" and "Magister Teonyc". While Niuhi and Teonyc are made up names, "the shark" is meant to be species (i. e. this is a shark named Niuhi) and "magister" is an academic title, so the translations should probably be [Japanese word for a shark] Niuhi and [Japanese academic title/honorific] Teonyc.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Ah, Niuhi the Shark (and Mud Boss) should be translated.
I was not sure about the meaning of Magister, thank you for your suggestion. (it corresponds to master's degree in my understanding) Now his title is also translated.

I update the translation. Please update it when you have time or on the next release.
Inky_Quest_ja.zip
updated Japanese (ja) translation
(70.51 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

As mentioned above, I was without my computer for two days, so I wasn't able to update the campaign until now. Version 1.4.2 released - it's same gameplay-wise as 1.4.1, only tamanegi's Japanese translation was updated.
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Thank you for the quick update. :)
caoraivoso3

Post by caoraivoso3 »

well i finished playing it on 1.11 and i really like the story and the campaign battles, you should make a story of the cephalopodes conquering the seas using not just power but diplomacy with other monster sea races creating a big riot against nagas and mermaids. and next chapter the whole world would be conquered first boats then islands putting despair on the hearts of the land dwellers.

jsut a rough opinion of mine, and it will be fun
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

@caoraivoso3 -Thanks for your kind words. I' m glad that you enjoyed my campaign and I like your idea of adding more sea monsters (note that you already get Giant clams in the campaign). Unfortunately adding new scenarios (let alone a whole sequel campaign) is pretty much out of question right now. As mentioned numerous time in this thread, I'm finishing my law study and while I have only a few exams left, they're going to be the hardest ones (that's like with boss battles in videogames ;) ). I'll have enough time for small updates (like fixing bugs or adding new translations), but probably not for implementing any bigger changes. While I have some ideas for further Wesnoth related projects (not necessarily involving cephalopodes), they'll have to waith until I get my master's degree.