Shadows of Deception 0.5.3 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

osaridsaris

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.1 [Wesnoth 1.11.6]

Post by osaridsaris »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: Pursuit

There is something wrong here. The scenario doesn't end. I worked my way through debug's :n command.
I'm stuck at the same place for the same reason and don't really want to force my way passed via debug.. promising campaign though, I'll revisit it when the next release happens :)
vultraz
Developer

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.1 [Wesnoth 1.11.6]

Post by vultraz »

osaridsaris wrote:
Lord-Knightmare wrote: Pursuit

There is something wrong here. The scenario doesn't end. I worked my way through debug's :n command.
I'm stuck at the same place for the same reason and don't really want to force my way passed via debug.. promising campaign though, I'll revisit it when the next release happens :)
I'm currently working on restructuring this scenario, since I'm not really satisfied with it. The new version will be in the next release :)
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Gridman

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.2 [Wesnoth 1.12 and later]

Post by Gridman »

I cannot get the Mind control spell to work. Can someone explain how it's supposed to work? I might just be dumb.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Gridman wrote:I cannot get the Mind control spell to work. Can someone explain how it's supposed to work? I might just be dumb.
Hey, sorry for taking forever to reply.

It's supposed to make any adjacent, non-leader, non-mechanical unit turn to your side for one turn. On your next turn after you cast it, it will return to the enemy
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Naron

Post by Naron »

I have a problem with the scenario "Gathering Storm", every time the following error occurs when I use the binding spell:

Code: Select all

error scripting/lua: G:/Wesnoth/data/ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:917: bad argument #2 to 'find_path' (invalid location)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'find_path'
	G:/Wesnoth/data/ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:917: in function 'next_hop'
	G:/Wesnoth/data/ai/micro_ais/cas/ca_messenger_move.lua:31: in function 'execution'
	[string "wesnoth.require("ai/micro_ais/cas/ca_messenge..."]:1: in main chunk
Also, how it's supposed to stop the messenger? I've used the binding spell, but when the turns run out, I lose.
Shadows of Deception 0.5.2, Wesnoth 1.11.18 (portable version, I installed it on an USB stick).
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Naron wrote:I have a problem with the scenario "Gathering Storm", every time the following error occurs when I use the binding spell:

error scripting/lua: G:/Wesnoth/data/ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:917: bad argument #2 to 'find_path' (invalid location)
stack traceback:
	[C]: in function 'find_path'
	G:/Wesnoth/data/ai/lua/ai_helper.lua:917: in function 'next_hop'
	G:/Wesnoth/data/ai/micro_ais/cas/ca_messenger_move.lua:31: in function 'execution'
	[string "wesnoth.require("ai/micro_ais/cas/ca_messenge..."]:1: in main chunk
Also, how it's supposed to stop the messenger? I've used the binding spell, but when the turns run out, I lose.
Shadows of Deception 0.5.2, Wesnoth 1.11.18 (portable version, I installed it on an USB stick).
Thanks for the bug report. That looks like a mainline issue, but I'll look into it.

As for the bind, you're supposed to do it multiple times. I'll make that clearer.

I am, however, revamping that scenario, and the next one, with new maps and improved gameplay in the next release, which should be released this week. Hopefully it will provide a greatly improved experience. There were several issues with almost all the scenarios that I didn't notice when I initially developed them.

Watch out for 0.5.3 sometime this week, and thanks for playing :)
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Update: I expected to release 0.5.3 last week, but I discovered several gameplay issues in E1S2 that I spent some extra time working on. The release will be this week instead. :)
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
vultraz
Developer

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.3 [Wesnoth 1.12 and later]

Post by vultraz »

Version 0.5.3 is out!

It's been approximately 15 months since 0.5.0, when I released the first big batch of scenarios. Since then, there's been only two interim releases, neither of which constituted much. In the meantime, however, I have realized several things about map design, scenario design, and gameplay. I wasn't satisfied with most of the last in regards to several of the scenarios I released in 0.5.0, specifically Gathering Storm (E1S3) and Pursuit (E1S4). A few scenarios also had maps which were direct or semi-direct frankens of maps taken from other add-ons.

This release features no new scenarios, but fixes many issues instead. Brand new, hand-drawn maps for E1S0, E1S3, and E1S4 are complemented by updated gameplay and presentation. E1S1 and E1S2 have had their maps improved as well. Dialog has been improved across all scenarios and storytext screens.

Unfortunately, I haven't gotten to improving Ambush in Wesmere (E1S5.1) yet. I am aware of the critique of it being too short, and I personally don't know what I was thinking when I made the map. It will be fixed in 0.5.4.

IMPORTANT: two changes were made in this release relating to saved games:
  • The Dark Castle and Keep (Ydc/Ydk) have been removed. This breaks any existing mid-scenario saved games of Awakening - Part I (E1S6). I'm sorry for this, but I expect the number of players with affected saves is small enough.
  • Three game-crucial campaign-specific WML tags have been renamed. This will eventually break all current and start-of-scenario save games. However, I have added a compatibility layer for this and several future releases, which will allow all your current saved games to function normally for now.
The full changelog for this version is as follows:

Version 0.5.3
-------------
* Scenarios
  * Rhaen has been renamed Dravar
  * Fixed a border case where Mind Controlled unit wouldn't be able to attack
  * Improved storytext for all playable scenarios
  * E1S0 - Descry
    * New original map
    * Various dialog and presentation improvements
  * E1S1 - Seer and Outlaw:
    * Various aesthetic and presentation improvements
    * Balancing changes
      * Reduced size of all keeps for fewer recruits per turn
      * Reduced enemy AI gold
  * E1S2 - Dwarvish Trail
    * Reworked several areas to alleviate bottleneck and drudgery
    * Removed final objective to move Anathryis and Dalen to the bridge, which
      more often than not involves trudging mindlessly across 3/4 of the map
    * Improved presentation of the final cutscene
    * Fixed player not getting bonus carryover gold
  * E1S3 - Gathering Storm
    * New map
    * Some gameplay changes were made to go along with the new map, the most
      drastic being side 3 is now comprised of orcs as opposed to trolls, and
      side allegiances have been changed somewhat
	* Improved dialog and presentation
    * Fixed player not getting bonus carryover gold
  * E1S4 - Pursuit
    * New map
    * Completely revamped gameplay and dialog
  * E1S5.2 - Change of Plans
    * Improved presentation

* Lua
  * Imported new lua-based spawner code from AtS
  * Renamed several custom WML tags for clarity
  * [take_item] no longer needs an 'event' key. The item id will be used in absentia
  * Fixed 'Cast: [spell]' menus showing up on invalid locations

* Graphics
  * Removed terrains: Dark Tiled Floor, Dark Castle, Dark Keep
  * New terrains: Lamppost
  * New or updated unit graphics: Northguard Nightshaft
  * Removed many unused images

* Units
  * Use human names for the Northguard
  * Fixed Northguard Silverbow advancing to itself
  * Added 'Northguard' prefix to all applicable units type names
  * Port balancing changes for the Leech from AtS

* User interface
  * Custom terrain editor group name displayed as 'Shadows of Deception'
    instead of 'NX-RPG'
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
nathanson1947

Re: Shadows of Deception 0.5.3 [Wesnoth 1.12]

Post by nathanson1947 »

I am still confused about what the binding spell is in The Gathering Storm scenario. As far as I can tell, the three options available to Niryone are Staff, Ensnare, and Faerie Fire, but neither seems to have any effect on Grand Marshal Dravar, even when used multiple times. Or have I misunderstood something?
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Try right clicking on Niryone while adjacent to the target unit; you should see a Spells entry in the context menu. In the Spellcasting dialog you can choose a spell and click on Cast, then right click on the target and choose Cast Spell in the menu.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
nathanson1947

Post by nathanson1947 »

Thanks for the help. I managed to complete the scenario.
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Hey,

played the first 6 scenarios and absolutely loved it. I was a sucker for IftU and AtS and played them mostly for the story. Your campaign has the same potential.

I am playing BfW for a very long time, but when I took a brake the last time I decided, when I started playing again, I would take notes on the campaigns I play and give feedback about bugs an other stuff.

First of all: I love your item system. Its fun, but subtle and not completely over the top. It feels like a nice upgrade to Wesnoth, not something completely new.
The story is also quite promising and i´m excited how it will further develope. :)

Most of all I probably liked the Intro, that was pure awesomeness for a fan of IftU and AtS, a successful hommage!

Here is my feedback to the gameplay:

- I played on easy difficulty, since I just wanted to see the story. It was pretty easy so I can´t say much about balancing, but it felt ok for easy difficulty.

- The scenarios "Dwarvish Trail" and "Ambush in Wesmere" lack an option to continue the fight against the leaders after the other objective (gathering the ore/defeating the direwolves) is achived.

- In the third scenario "Gathering Storm" Delenethor (the ghost) started a crazy suicide attack after recruiting the first time, because the units of the pink player got in range. He was surrounded and did not get the chance to recruit a second time.
- After I captured the transport wagon the trap door vanished. Since I killed the leaders anyway it didn´t matter, but if I had (e.g. because of a higher difficulty) decided to use the door, I would have had to search for the correct hex and I don´t know if just the animation vanished or if it wouldn´t have worked at all.

- In the forth scenario "Pursuit" the Skeleton Archers attacked all my units without a ranged attack (dwarves...) with meele attacks. Is that a feature of easy difficulty?

- The effect of the "Potion of Curious Taste" remains curious, since it had no effect at all (tried it on different units). Is that intentionally?

After the first scenario I started to take extensive notes on the textpassages since I play the game for the story and while the story behind it was quite interesting, the language seemed a bit rough. Some of it are corrections of actual grammatical mistakes, but most is just my own opinion of a better wording or thoughts on some inconsistencies of the narrative.
  • Narrative between scenario one and two:
    Spoiler:
  • Dialogue at the end of scenario two and narration between scenario two and three:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Additional note: This was the only part that I was really dissatisfied with, because the narrative is very weak here. I hope I helpfully pointed out, where it is inconsistent/needs some polishing.
  • At the start of the third scenario:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • When the map is revealed:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • When the caravan leader is successfully bound:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Between the third and forth scenario I got a black screen but no between-scenario narrative.
  • Forth scenario after the appearance of the multiplied human boss:
    Spoiler:
  • Journal of Arch Mage Valthur:
    Spoiler:
  • Narrative between scenarios four and five:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Start of scenario 5:
    Spoiler:
  • Meeting of the Kaalian ("Change of Plans"):
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • Meanwhile ("Change of Plans")
    Spoiler:
  • Opening Dialogue of Scenario 6:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
  • After releasing Galamor:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
PS: Sorry for the wall of text, sadly the forum doesn´t allow stacked spoilers and I didn´t want to reformat it all...

PPS: Are you from Germany? Your comma placement, use of semicolons and some of the wording reminded me so much of myself a couple years ago... :D
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Hey, Whiskeyjack. Thanks for the review :) I like a lot of your suggestions and will work on committing them to github ASAP.

The Potion of Curious Taste boosts your hp by 7. At least, it's supposed to. I'll check.

A couple notes on the text:
Spoiler:
And no, I'm not from Germany :P I'm from California, and as far as I know, don't have German relatives.

Once again, thanks for the comprehensive review. It's stuff like that that motivates me to keep writing this :D If you have any more suggestions, please feel free to give them. I've really run dry on critique recently.
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
Whiskeyjack

Post by Whiskeyjack »

Spoiler:
The Potion of Curious Taste boosts your hp by 7. At least, it's supposed to. I'll check.
Just checked my replay, the hp didn´t go up.

Perhaps I will try to play the campaign for the gameplay on a harder difficulty to give you feedback about that in the future :)
Under blood-red skies, an old man sits
In the ruins of Carthage - contemplating prophecy.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Whiskeyjack wrote:Just checked my replay, the hp didn´t go up.
Just checked in-game, and it does make your HP go up by 7, but doesn't boost it past your max HP, which is intended.

I also revised the text at the end of E1S2 to give S3 a better backstory. Commit 7217ed3b524f
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!