SDL Version

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

booner

SDL Version

Post by booner »

Hello all. Working on getting a development environment to compile Wesnoth. In http://wiki.wesnoth.org/CompilingWesnoth#Prerequisites it is suggested that there is a known bug with SDL 1.2.14 that can be solved by downgrading to 1.2.13. With SDL-1.2.15 now available would anyone know if that bug is no longer an issue?

- Booner

[edit: typo]
iceiceice

Re: SDL Version

Post by iceiceice »

I'm not actually sure what the bug is, but for what it's worth I have often compiled with SDL 1.2.15 and had no problem.
Also it seems the official windows library deps collection comes with SDL 1.2.15.
booner

Post by booner »

iceiceice wrote:I'm not actually sure what the bug is, but for what it's worth I have often compiled with SDL 1.2.15 and had no problem.
Also it seems the official windows library deps collection comes with SDL 1.2.15.
Thanks iceiceice. I will go with *.15 and see how it goes then.

- Booner
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

iceiceice wrote:I'm not actually sure what the bug is, but for what it's worth I have often compiled with SDL 1.2.15 and had no problem.
Out of curiosity, where are the official dependencies for Wesnoth for Windows? According to the file details, the SDL.dll from the Code::Blocks dependencies download, the 1.11.19 download on the main page, and the one I got from loonycyborg are all 1.2.14.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Uh oh, that might be a bug then.

When I go to the source forge > wesnoth > SDK section and download the 1.11 deps collection:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/wesnoth ... p/download

if I go to include/SDL/SDL_version.h, I see that it defines the version as 1.2.15.

Maybe a header vs .dll mismatch?
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Maybe? It sounds right, but that's a bit above my level of knowledge of c++.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Just to follow up on this:

- The header vs dll mismatch is indeed a minor bug but unless the headers for 1.2.14 and 1.2.15 are actually different, and we use one of the functions that is different, it's not a problem. If it were a problem there would probably be many reports of crashes which backtrace into SDL, since there aren't this is low priority.

- The original bug related to SDL 1.2.14 was here: https://gna.org/bugs/?14770
I stumbled across mention of this in the wiki, on an unrelated purpose...

It seems to be mainly GNU linux related. If there are mouse clicking bugs in windows releases then the outdated SDL version might be the culprit, but if this isn't reported then it's probably not an issue for windows.
techtonik

Post by techtonik »

I was about to ask the same thing, so it is nice to see this thread with all the links.

Note that Wesnoth bug is specifically fixed in SDL 1.2.15 by Sam Lantinga here.

The only confusing place is INSTALL instruction - https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/pull/348