Android 1.8/1.10 support thread

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Dreamer

Re: Android support thread

Post by Dreamer »

How about publishing on a different Appstore in the meantime?
The 2012 one has for example never been on the Amazon App Store thus there wouldn't be any such problems.
Plus that also would get Kinde-Users like me into your userbase - evil Google Play! ;)
Akumala

Post by Akumala »

Alep, is there a way to buy the game directly from you?
I would very gladly support Wesnoth on Android, (a professional version, not the crap on the google store) and would love to play it as well...
kaufman

Post by kaufman »

Dreamer wrote:How about publishing on a different Appstore in the meantime?
The 2012 one has for example never been on the Amazon App Store thus there wouldn't be any such problems.
As a google play purchaser, I would have no problem purchasing it again if you published it on the Amazon store. $1.70 was a criminally small amount to pay for it anyhow.
Insinuator

Post by Insinuator »

I just want to express my support for Alep and the continued effort to develop a working Android version. However this is distributed, I would love to buy or donate or whatever for it.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Well, thanks everybody, I really appreciate your support.

And yes, I know that if you did not bought my port on Google right now can't get it.
Don't lose hope :-) things will change. I was hoping to be a little faster but making 1.11.19 work was unexpectedly though since they changed some dependencies and so far I've spent all the time I have on that.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

In order to continue redistributing, I've created a new project on Source Forge named "wesnoth-on-android": http://wesnoth-on-android.sf.net/ (there's a redirect to my website, since I've already have a page there, but file download is fully hosted on Source Forge)

Real news is: 1.10.7 apk is available there for everybody, just follow the link to SourceForge file area.
It's the same package that was distributed on Google Play as the full (not-trial) application, except for the license checking code which is basically obsolete and was removed.
Sources are split into two packages: one for building libraries (boost, pango, etc...) and the other one for just wesnoth.
After 1.12 is out and I finish the porting work I will also put full sources there, so anybody can build the APK and play Wesnoth 1.12.

WARNING: all the apks I've distributed up until now use dropbox links to download data files. I will remove dropbox files by the end of the year. When this will happen you won't be able to add datafiles (campaigns, translation and music) to your installation (which will, however, continue working with what you have already installed). Also, fresh new installation will fail to download data and won't start.
SourceForge APKs, however, will use data downloads on SourceForge itself, which (I hope) will be there for a long time.
Akumala

Post by Akumala »

Wow, thats very generous from your side!
Thank you sou much!!!
johndh

Post by johndh »

To make it possibly more convenient for Android users, here's a QR code of the URL in case that's easier than typing it in.
Attachments
QR code for http://wesnoth-on-android.sf.net/
QR code for http://wesnoth-on-android.sf.net/
qrcode.26239688.png (466 Bytes) Viewed 7238 times
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

Finally, 1.12 is available for Android.
Right now, 1.12.0 sources are available on SourceForge.
Also, if you bought the app when it was available on Google Play and have a valid transaction ID, apk download is available too (so you won't need to build it from sources).
Being out from Google Play allowed me to give the 1.12 apk a different package name from the 1.10 one, so it's possible to install on the same device both 1.10.7 and 1.12.0.
Everything is here: http://wesnoth-on-android.sf.net/ (or you can use the QR code kindly provided by johndh in the previuos post)
wrenhal

Post by wrenhal »

Just saw this thread: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... id#p574882
The answer there to this guys question would make sense as to why the other port is allowed to stick around and not yours:
IIRC our legal counterpart gets a share from Androthsoft's sales,
wrenhal

Post by wrenhal »

alep wrote:Finally, 1.12 is available for Android.
Right now, 1.12.0 sources are available on SourceForge.
Also, if you bought the app when it was available on Google Play and have a valid transaction ID, apk download is available too (so you won't need to build it from sources).
Being out from Google Play allowed me to give the 1.12 apk a different package name from the 1.10 one, so it's possible to install on the same device both 1.10.7 and 1.12.0.
Everything is here: http://wesnoth-on-android.sf.net/ (or you can use the QR code kindly provided by johndh in the previuos post)
So, if I get the 1.12 apk, download all the data on my tablet. Can I then transfer all that data to my phone and have it work just fine?
alep
Android Port Maintainer

Post by alep »

wrenhal wrote:So, if I get the 1.12 apk, download all the data on my tablet. Can I then transfer all that data to my phone and have it work just fine?
Although the safest way is to download data again on the new device, yes, if you transfer the whole folder and then on first startup select it as data location it will work.
Also, if your device is not directly connected to internet you can get zip files from sourceforge and put them into /sdcard/. The game will then unpack those instead of downloading.
pentolino

Post by pentolino »

Alep really sorry to hear that... I noticed this today, when I tried to install what I believe to be the real Wesnoth on android on my shiny new Nvidia Shield Tablet; I just downloaded the 1.12 apk from your site and it's simply great that I can play it even before the linux version :-)

Thanks for your work, I really appreciate it.
Excalibur8277

Post by Excalibur8277 »

Alep thank you so much for your hard work, greatly appreciated. 1.12 looks and plays great, I love this game!!
elthamare

Post by elthamare »

Thank you for all your work. It looks really great.