We are playing LoW coop!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

max_torch
Inactive Developer

We are playing LoW coop!

Post by max_torch »

Hi all! I and fellow forum member "kiss" are planning to play the multiplayer version of Legend of Wesmere sometime soon. Here is a question i asked which was answered by fabi:
fabi wrote:
max_torch wrote:I was just wondering, will the multiplayer version of Legend of Wesmere be fixed in the next release?
Yes, LoW MP will be fixed and shipped with 1.12.0 what does not necessarily mean that it will work perfectly.
Also, in the multiplayer version, how many players are meant to go through the campaign cooperatively?
Chapter1: 2 Players
Chapter2: 3 Players
Chapter3: 4 Players
Chapter4: 4 Players
Chapter5: 2 Players --- This chapter is not ready to be played in MP yet.
So far the rules I propose for the game are:
1. Restart to beginning of scenario allowed but no load/save
2. Be courteous
3. Whether you are a newcomer or veteran you are welcome, no insulting people for being dum

So I and kiss are all set for the first chapter but we need some more players to fill the slots for the other chapters, so if you would like to join us please tell us here!
Also, we will report bugs and feedback for each chapter to help with the playtesting. I propose that we use this thread to schedule the games
fabi
Inactive Developer

Re: We are playing LoW coop!

Post by fabi »

max_torch wrote:Hi all! I and fellow forum member "kiss" are planning to play the multiplayer version of Legend of Wesmere sometime soon.
Nice to hear that you organize a LoW coop party.
Also, we will report bugs and feedback for each chapter to help with the playtesting.
May I ask you and your fellow team mates to use the newest version of the campaign from the git repository?
This does not mean that you need to compile Wesnoth yourself.

That way I can fix errors on the fly and you can just resync the git repo afterwards.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

fabi wrote:May I ask you and your fellow team mates to use the newest version of the campaign from the git repository?
I think git repository is not very friendly to normal players. Think of creating add-on for this case.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

Xudo wrote:
fabi wrote:May I ask you and your fellow team mates to use the newest version of the campaign from the git repository?
I think git repository is not very friendly to normal players. Think of creating add-on for this case.
I don't mind as long as fabi explains how to do it..
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

max_torch wrote:
Xudo wrote:I think git repository is not very friendly to normal players. Think of creating add-on for this case.
I don't mind as long as fabi explains how to do it..
I really thought about offering an add-on for testing purposes and I still might do so if the git thing turns out to be too complicated.

The playtester needs the latest released version of Wesnoth installed (1.11.17 iirc).
Any client of the git version control system.
This client then needs to be told to fetch https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth in read only mode.
Then the git client needs to be told to switch to the 1.12 branch.

Wesnoth must then be started with the location of the fetched repository as first argument thus it takes the data directory from there.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

fabi wrote: The playtester needs the latest released version of Wesnoth installed (1.11.17 iirc).
Any client of the git version control system.
This client then needs to be told to fetch https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth in read only mode.
Then the git client needs to be told to switch to the 1.12 branch.

Wesnoth must then be started with the location of the fetched repository as first argument thus it takes the data directory from there.
Only the host of the game needs the git client? where do i get the git client? how do i make the location of the repository as the first argument?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

max_torch wrote:Only the host of the game needs the git client?
Yes, iirc this is true. Hopefully.
Where do I get the git client?
Depends on the operating system you use. For MS Windows the https://windows.github.com/ might be a good choice. I don't really know, I am more of a linux user.
How do I make the location of the repository as the first argument?
Windows might require a right click on the icon and then something like properties iirc.

Are you on Windows?
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

yeah im on windows.. So when I fetch wesnoth in read-only mode, is that like a download of the whole wesnoth?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

max_torch wrote:yeah im on windows.. So when I fetch wesnoth in read-only mode, is that like a download of the whole wesnoth?
Yes, it is like downloading a database that can reproduce every state Wesnoth was in during its past development.

The checkout is therefore around ~ 1.5GiB iirc.
DarkPhoenix

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Hi I am a total beginner but I would be interested in joining (if it is allowed)

I have all day Wednesday after 2 pm (UTC-10) to play. Hopefully by then I will have some idea what to do.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

DarkPhoenix wrote:Hi I am a total beginner but I would be interested in joining (if it is allowed)

I have all day Wednesday after 2 pm (UTC-10) to play. Hopefully by then I will have some idea what to do.
Okay well anyway I am UTC(+8)
Actually the only thing I have discussed with kiss is that I asked him if we could play LoW together after he finishes his HtTT campaign (Last post he made he is now in Scenario 16 of HtTT), then he suggested that we wait for the stable version 1.12 so that we get the stable LoW multiplayer campaign but now fabi has offered to teach us how to run the wesnoth build from the gitrepo(don't worry if you don't know what this means, but basically this is kinda like the wesnoth main database for the entire project) which in turn will enable him to fix bugs as we progress through the game so it will be like we are playing the most stable version of the campaign plus with the support of the developer so I guess we still have to decide when we really will start. Personally I am willing to be flexible and patient. By the way DarkPhoenix congrats on your first post.

@kiss
could you post your timezone here?

By the way here are the player slots:
Chapter1: 2 Players - max_torch, kiss (2 elves faction)
Chapter2: 3 Players - max_torch, kiss, DarkPhoenix (3 elves faction)
Chapter3: 4 Players - max_torch, kiss, DarkPhoenix, ______ (3 elves and one dwarf faction)
Chapter4: 4 Players - max_torch, kiss, DarkPhoenix, ______ (3 elves and one dwarf faction)
Chapter5: 2 Players - max_torch, kiss (2 elves faction) This chapter is not ready to be played in MP yet.

@fabi
Spoiler:
For everyone: Well I guess since this will be our first experience playing coop multiplayer campaign, and among the three of us there relatively seems to be no seasoned veteran (if i made a mistake and you disagree, well, sorry) I suggest we play this on the easiest difficulty..
DarkPhoenix

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Thanks I am glad to have found BfW. It tickles a very particular part of my hypothalamus which mainstream games fail to engage. Ok take your time it sounds good 8)
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

max_torch wrote:How did you envision a playthrough of the whole campaign? Is a different player supposed to play each character? For instance in Chapter 1 it is just Kalenz and Landar, then on Chapter 2 it is Kalenz, Landar, and Cleodil, then after it is Kalenz, Landar, Cleodil, and Olurf.... So I will assign each member of the group to a character?
From time to time there is a scenario in which each player controls 2 sides.
A feature implemented not long ago is used to make sure that those mappings are always the same,
meaning that player One controls always Kalenz and Galtrid.
Player Two controls always Landar and El'Isomithir.
Player Three controls always Cleodil and Eradion.

All those sides are meant to be persistent and therefore each of them can recall units.
Testing if the recruit lists and gold setup propagates properly from scenario to the next and from chapter end to the next is very valuable for me.
Although it is uncertain if the side to player system works correctly.

I think it makes much sense if a player keeps playing with "his" recruit and gold.
But if you want to exchange this from chapter to chapter it shouldn't hurt.
max_torch
Inactive Developer

Post by max_torch »

fabi wrote:
max_torch wrote:How did you envision a playthrough of the whole campaign? Is a different player supposed to play each character? For instance in Chapter 1 it is just Kalenz and Landar, then on Chapter 2 it is Kalenz, Landar, and Cleodil, then after it is Kalenz, Landar, Cleodil, and Olurf.... So I will assign each member of the group to a character?
From time to time there is a scenario in which each player controls 2 sides.
A feature implemented not long ago is used to make sure that those mappings are always the same,
meaning that player One controls always Kalenz and Galtrid.
Player Two controls always Landar and El'Isomithir.
Player Three controls always Cleodil and Eradion.

All those sides are meant to be persistent and therefore each of them can recall units.
Testing if the recruit lists and gold setup propagates properly from scenario to the next and from chapter end to the next is very valuable for me.
Although it is uncertain if the side to player system works correctly.

I think it makes much sense if a player keeps playing with "his" recruit and gold.
But if you want to exchange this from chapter to chapter it shouldn't hurt.
But for "side 1" Kalenz is always present. "side 2" Landar is always present, "side 3" Cleodil is always present, "side 4" Olurf is always present. Correct?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

yes