How did you find out about Wesnoth?

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

booner

Re: How did you find out about Wesnoth?

Post by booner »

Introduced by a friend around 2007-2008. Have kicked then fallen off recovery a number of times. Back on the Wesnoth High of late. ;)
firefox

Post by firefox »

when my father discovered linux, we all had Open Suse 10.2 as additional system to our old windows xp.
because linux was much more comfortable than windows we used it as our main system.
one day my father searched the package list for interesting software and installed BfW 1.2.6,
because he knew that i liked strategy games and fantasy.
he said: "look, this is a strategy game that works similar to chess and it looks like 'Lord of the Rings'."
from this moment i started playing wesnoth.

Now we have linux Mint (well, i have ubuntu on my notebook, but it comes from the same tree) and i consider
wesnoth as my favorite game.
altough i haven't played for over year my oppinion did not change.
may the source be with you
=(^.^)= nyan~
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

As I was going over some mountains, on my way to kill heretics, I was struck by a blinding light. As I lay helpless by the roadside, I saw a vision of a "Dave", and he spoke in a strange tongue, and I understood it not. But then he provided unto me some tags, which he called WML, and there was light.

Or something like that. I found it on a SUSE linux CD, mid-2000's, not sure when. It was in a much more crude state then than it is now, though most of the mechanics were the same. It was one of the few time-wasters that wasn't broken crap. The others were FreeCiv, GL-117, and Chromium BSU. I wonder whatever happened those others...
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
caoraivoso3

Post by caoraivoso3 »

Freeciv is still kickin i guess.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Like many others, I discovered BfW in one of my early voyages into the land of Linux, where I found it in my software manager. This was probably around 2008 or so, before I had completely ditched proprietary operating systems.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Xudo

Post by Xudo »

Lurking on our wiki, I have found this page: http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Voting
I want to point out, that Freshmeat.net (one of the voting resources) still alive and even allow you to download the Battle for Wesnoth 1.6.4 (!).
Drakilian

Post by Drakilian »

I was browsing apps on my phone and I saw the one for Battle of Wesnoth a few years back (the one by kyle, not the current one). It looked pretty interesting so I got it. Never disappointed :)
sreek

Post by sreek »

I also got it from opensuse 10.2. I should thank the suse people, i think for the discovery of this great game
dorf

Post by dorf »

I was playing a lot of Age of Wonders then, so I scoured the net for similar games... Enter BfW!
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

I knew that BfW existed, since I was browsing open source
games for quite a while.

Tried it a few time in SP, but I was really discouraged by the
difficulty of the SP campaigns, and also the graphics style,
which differs a bit from classic fantasy, in my opinion.

Over all I think it took me over two years to like it. It's
really it's own thing, and the qualities of it are not really
obvious.
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

I actually came across this gem through a website. Rock Paper Shotgun did an article about this, and I followed. Really glad I did.
Qirin

Post by Qirin »

Chewan wrote:Another reference to BfW on Wikipedia: the Lich portrait!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lich
This is actually how I came across the game. Thought the lich portrait looked pretty good so I had a read up on what BfW was.

I can't quite recall how I 'rediscovered' Wesnoth. I think a friend was talking about turn-based games and I remembered Wesnoth and introduced them to it. Just in time for the new version release as well.
Istarian

Post by Istarian »

A long time ago, relative to now. I first discovered Wesnoth as one of the games included with the install disc of a Linux distribution back when I was in middle school (between 2004 - 2006). It may well have been openSUSE as some of the other commenters have noted. I was playing around with Linux and going through the package manager looking for stuff to try out and it was decidedly the better of most of the games provided. It was a good and quite playable game even then.
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

I apologize if this counts as thread necromancy, but I've already explained how I've found Wesnoth in an older incarnation of this thread. The reason I had the urge to mention it is that the website where I've found about Wesnoth has recently posted a review (Czech language) of Wesnoth's new version, where they gave it 100% :D Given that most reviews linked on the homepage are from older versions I think that the developers might be interested in it.
sanii

Post by sanii »

My moms programmer friend had it on his computer. Whenever he came over to my house, I got like 5-6 hours of sweet, sweet battle o'Wesnoth.