Lets play: The Rise Of Wesnoth

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lezthar

Lets play: The Rise Of Wesnoth

Post by lezthar »

I'm going to play the campaign The Rise Of Wesnoth and post replays for each level, this is not my first time playing this campaign. I will be playing on Lord (Challenging) difficulty, due to the difficulty and the sheer amount of luck involved on this difficulty, the rules I have made for myself are: 1 level restart per scenario, and up to 3 reloads of save states per scenario, (It's a real b!tch when you really need to kill that 5hp orcish assassin with your mage and you miss 3/3 missiles :evil: ).

After completing each scenario I will give 2 ratings for the scenario based on difficulty and fun factor, as well as my recall unit list for the following scenario, and upload the replay file, time for scenario 1.

Expected losses: 0 - 1
lezthar

Re: Lets play: The Rise Of Wesnoth

Post by lezthar »

A Summer Of Storms

I got pretty lucky a few times attacking and defending, could have easily lost another spearman.

Time to completion: 35:40
Scenario restarts: 0
Save states loaded: 1
Units lost: 1 (spearman)
Recall list upon completion: 2 near promotion spearman/1 roughly halfway. 1 near promotion horseman/1 roughly halfway. 1 near promotion mage/1 roughly halfway.

Ratings

Fun Factor: 8
Pretty fun, Good amount of strategy involved, few casualties when done properly.
Difficulty: 6
Somewhat difficult but not crazy difficult when correct strategy is used, 0-1 losses were expected/inevitable.

Time for scenario 2.
Attachments
TRoW-A_Summer_of_Storms_replay1.gz
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
lezthar

Post by lezthar »

The Fall

Took more losses than intended, but had some good luck as well, the AI moved unexpectedly and allowed me to clear the scenario sooner than expected.

Time to completion: 52:05
Scenario restarts: 1 (messed up on recruitment)
Save states loaded: 3
Units lost: 3 (2 bowmen & 1 spearman)
Total lost: 4
Recall list upon completion: 2 white mages (important to have!), 2 spearmen near promotion/1 roughly halfway, 3 horsemen near promotion, 1 heavy infantryman halfway to promotion, and 4 other units

Ratings:

Fun Factor: 6
Not as fun as the first scenario, more of a focus on defending than attacking which isn't very fun.

Difficulty: 6
How well the outlaw forces can hold off the northerners is the biggest deciding factor.

Scenario 3 next.
Attachments
TRoW-The_Fall_replay.gz
(40.48 KiB) Downloaded 561 times
lezthar

Post by lezthar »

A Harrowing Escape

Went much better than expected, this level can be a real son of a bi.... I mean... black eye...

Time to completion: forgot to set stopwatch
Scenario restarts: 1
Save states loaded: first time: 4, second time: 0
Units lost: 2 (both footpads so no big loss)
Total lost: 6
Recall list upon completion: 1 Red mage, 2 White mages, 2 Pikemen, 2 Knights, 1 Bandit, 1 Trapper, 3 Shock troopers, 1 Poacher near promotion, 1 Horseman near promotion, 2 Spearmen near promotion, and one other unit

Ratings:

Fun Factor: 8
Great scenario for promoting units.

Difficulty: 8
A fair bit more challenging than the previous scenarios.

Scenario 4 next.
Attachments
TRoW-A_Harrowing_Escape_replay.gz
(51.99 KiB) Downloaded 438 times
lezthar

Post by lezthar »

The Midlands

This level was terrifying... Started with 290 gold.

Time to completion: I stopped doing this
Scenario restarts: 1 (first time was a massacre)
Save states loaded: first time: 4, second time: 3
Units lost: 3 (Wesfolk lady, Bandit, Bowman)
Total lost: 9
Recall list upon completion: 1 Paladin, 1 Halberdier, 1 Royal Guard, 2 Pikemen, 2 Trappers, 3 Shock Troopers, 1 Red Mage, 1 Swordsman, 2 Knights, 1 Bandit, 2 White Mages

Ratings:

Fun Factor: 9
Very fun, always like big battles
Difficulty: 9
Very difficult, one of the more difficult scenarios imo

Scenario 5...
Attachments
TRoW-The_Midlands_replay.gz
(57.88 KiB) Downloaded 466 times
lezthar

Post by lezthar »

The Old Wood

Recruited the wrong units the first time so had to restart once
Scenario restarts: 1
Save states loaded: 3
Units lost: 6 (4 footpads, 1 mage, 1 thug)
Total lost: 11 (?)
Recall list upon completion: 1 Paladin, 3 Halberdiers, 1 Royal Guard, 2 Trappers, 3 Shock Troopers, 2 Bandits, 2 Red Mages, 1 Swordsman, 3 Knights, 2 White Mages

Ratings:

Fun Factor: 4
A pain in the @ss keeping the wose leader alive
Difficulty: 5
Not hard with leveled units

Scenario 6...
Attachments
TRoW-The_Oldwood_replay.gz
(55.26 KiB) Downloaded 444 times
lezthar

Post by lezthar »

I'm gonna stop this thread i think unless someone wants me to continue?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Well, this is the sort of thing that probably garners little response at the time, but which might be of interest to people at some point later on. I don't think it'd be very fun for you to do the next 20 scenarios just because someone else wants you to, so I'd say keep at it only as long as you feel like it.
kiss

Post by kiss »

I'm far away from what you are doing but don't let it die. I'll jump in if I've got the level.
I know it is strange to find yourself alone, because no one says nothing ... like if you were the only one to fight against your goal, but ...
MRDNRA

Post by MRDNRA »

I'm actually running through the same campaign on normal difficulty and barely finished a few of the levels within the turn limit. Got to Clearwater Port which I'm on my second attempt (Haldric died the first time), and the 2nd time I lost one of my loyal Iron Maulers (I think that's what they're called at level 3). I've got a good recall list though as levelling units by now is easy enough with support from my many level 2s and 3s but I absolutely hate losing loyal units.

I took the Swamp of Esten route so I now have 3 white mages (including the loyal from that level) which prove very useful for defending on Clearwater (even if I wanted to push out there are simply too many orcs for me to do so without taking heavy losses).
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

I don't see the value added relative to posting in the scenario review threads in the The Rise of Wesnoth subforum under the Mainline Campaign Feedback forum. However, I am not the forum police.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

lezthar wrote:I'm gonna stop this thread i think unless someone wants me to continue?
I think it would have more value as a "Let's Play" guide if you went over the highlights in a youtube video. I'd certainly be interested to watch it if you did that.

However, as it is, you'd be better just posting this feedback in the scenario review threads, as Maiklas said, and then include a zip file with all your replays.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."