Discovery of Wesnoth

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kiss

Re: Discovery of Wesnoth

Post by kiss »

@Jabie
I think that the community already spent a lot of time about how to help newcomers into the campaigns and fond it well enough at it is. In a way I can understand and it was my mistake to suppose they want TSG and AOI to be extended tutorials

@max_torch (and others about multiplayer)
I've had a few tries, and I have to say it is not the time for me to dive in!
I've played some local multiplayer with default settings and lost all of them really fast. In fact it is too much work (for me) at the same time because of random factions or again and again the same battle to master a faction.
I think I'll discover a large part of this, slowly, while playing the campaigns.

Heir to the Throne - 1. Elves Besieged

New campaign. As for the previous ones, I have no idea of what I will encounter.
I chose the safest way, but I trapped myself and couldn't do anything! I wonder if I could have made an other choice with a closer look (and better understood) on the map? I guess yes, but I clearly failed.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Heir to the Throne - 2. Blackwater Port

I've read somewhere that recall is cheaper than recruit (I don't remember where it was) and until now I used this rule without thinking too much. But starting this new scenario with nearly no xp from the previous makes me look at it closely. And, well, let's say it's not always true!
Whatever I also understand why we have a drop option.

So this campaign have tips. According previous posts above, it seems this point is not really clear for everyone. Maybe I don't understand what I was told? Nevermind, the subject about tutorial, let's wait what I'll have before any judgement ...

I don't know if this comes from the quality, my rising (not that much already) experience or both, but I spend a lot more time to study the maps in that campaign.
I also light on the grid, I've never used it before. I found it enlightening the structure of the map.

Something was wrong in my play.
I though every leader could recruit, but ... ho, yes the crown color? I do not find anything about that.

First time I think of that: does a leader can only recruit units under his own level?

When hover over an enemy, a pop up with the result ...
Well I mean some usefull result like attack windows and damage windows?
Ok, I still need some practice with the gameplay.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Recall is always 20 gold, which is more than most level-1 units cost to recruit. It's rarely worth it if they have no experience. You only have one leader: the one with the gold crown. A silver crown just means the unit is not allowed to die. The units that are available to recruit are entirely up to the campaign designer, but it is usually just level-0 and level-1 units.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kiss

Post by kiss »

Thank you for the explanations beetlenaut.

A little tip.
Some maps slow down my old laptop. And it's annoying for my side notes!
It looks like it is the animations. I know I can turn off from the preferences, but I like them for now.
Open a windows does the trick. Right click on the map for example, and CPU usage falls from 50% to 5%.
And, hooo ... it also prevents the off window mouse scrolling!

Heir to the Throne - 3. Isle of Alduin

Not that much to say here about this last one. I still discover new things, it's fine.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

You can turn off the off-window scrolling in the advanced preferences.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kiss

Post by kiss »

beetlenaut wrote:You can turn off the off-window scrolling in the advanced preferences.
It was only a handy side effect for me.

Talking about that, I think I've found and used most of the GUI features. From time to time I have ideas of implementations that could be usefull at that moment. I'm using 1.10.7 version and it is stable, but said pretty old.

Would it be a good idea to install a newer one?
Doing so, I'll have the latest features and perhaps it prevents me thinking about existing one. If I can still go on with campaigns without problems it's enough for me now.

For instance:
- recruit/recall panel: both lists side by side, a mini castle map, drag and drop units and validate.
- units list: add one with units that can be recalled.

Heir to the Throne - 4. Bay of Pearls

I'm going on with the campaign.
In this chapter, new concepts could have been explain a little, but, it is ok like that, undo is here.

Edit to add part 5

Heir to the Throne - 5b Isle of the Damned
Ho, it should be here from the beginning of the campaign, but only now, I notice it. We talk about that a while ago, the markers on the world map. It's really well done.

Isn't this scenario looks like multiplayer?

Far too much errors this time, I loose control. I'm afraid I miss the lesson from this scenario.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Heir to the Throne - 6. The Siege of Elensefar

I know the reputation of this one, but, before starting it seems easier than the previous one. I should be wrong one more time!

Where can I find explanation of xp color?
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

well, it goes from blue to white in 4 hues. completly white means you're one 8 or less xp from advancing, next one 16 xp to 9 xp from advancing, next one 24xp to 17 xp from advancing. The last one is for the rest. Units which have a purple xp bar do not advances anymore, they're on their maximum level. They only get a small AMLA (After Maximum Level Advancement) which normally grants +3 max hp and increases xp needed to amla another time by 20%
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
kiss

Post by kiss »

Thank you Paulomat4, I was searching in the wrong direction (%) and was totaly lost!

What's that? Why does Delurin lose all his moves after the fight?

Edit to the save
Attachments
loss_moves_HttT-Crossroads_Turn_8.gz
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 266 times
loss_move_HttT-Crossroads_replay.gz
(32.69 KiB) Downloaded 234 times
kiss

Post by kiss »

I watched again at Delurin and still don't understand why he lost all his moves.
About Ambush, wiki says only about forest.

Heir to the Throne - 7. Crossroads

Something comes to my mind, it's not perfectly clear, but I think every scenario is built to put players in front of something they should avoid. The most visible is "fight during night", if you don't go, most of the time the situation is worse after.
In this one we have Orcs in hills I've started to wait them outside the hills, but I've ended near a huge possible loss and have to recall more units.

There is so much little things to master!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

kiss wrote:I watched again at Delurin and still don't understand why he lost all his moves. About Ambush, wiki says only about forest.
The ambush ability normally only works on forest hexes, but the Crossroads scenario changes the rules to allow orcs to use ambush on hills. That's why your unit lost his movement. The two loyal elves that appear at the beginning tell you this, but their warnings may not have been clear enough. Campaign designers can and do change the rules sometimes, but they will usually tell you about it in the dialog.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kiss

Post by kiss »

Ambush? The unit was already visible, but, hooo, I've understood, it's ZoC. I'm so dumb!

Thank you beetlenaut.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Heir to the Throne - 8. Princess of Wesnoth

This time it's over! Konrad is dead. I try some reload, but, no way.
I know, I can reload, replay ... but I do not think it will change something! I'm still doing so much errors ... and I don't want to replay the whole campaign now, I want to forget a little.
This had to be a day, it's today!

So, I'll replay the campaigns in the same order in a more difficult mode.

If some of you follow more or less what I'm doing, any advice will be welcome.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

If you're starting over anyway, I recommend using 1.11. One of the nicest new features is the ability to change difficulties in the middle of the campaign if you are finding it too easy or too hard. The graphics are also improved a lot.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kiss

Post by kiss »

Ho, 1.11, sure, I've asked about that some days ago.

Until now I've used sofware shipped with my distribution and I do not remember if I've installed any package?
In case it will be usefull, here is what i've done.

Mint 17, up to date.

download 1.11.16
extract here (yes, in download for now!)
cd wesnoth-1.11.16

I've used scons, and updated my system after each error.

software manager scons, g++
Synaptic libboost-iostreams1.54-dev, libsdl1.2-dev
software manager libsdl-net1.2-dev
Synaptic libboost-system1.54-dev
software manager libpango1.0-dev
Synaptic libboost-program-option1.54-dev, libsdl-ttf2.0-dev, libsdl-mixer1.2-dev, libsdl-image1.2-dev

There are still 2 errors: fribidi and lboost_unit_test_framework. I'll fix that right after, I hate false errors!
The process run until the end and create the wesnoth executable file.
The compilation takes a little more than 1 hour.

Of course I run it!
I have music (it wasn't shipped with 1.10.7).
Image seems to be the same but with a better resolution, perhaps brighter?
It seems it kept my previous changes in preferences (show grid for example).
Some language are not aligned in the language window. Edit I understand that
When playing, I found that font scale is a little too small (under the avatar in the right panel: Elder Mage, neutral, ...)
I see the new options in the minimap but do not take time to test.
When chosing multiplayer I connect to a server but I'm alone.

In a few words, my first sight.

Version 1.10.7 still run fine.

Edit
I've fixed previous errors: Synaptic libfribidi-dev, libboost-test1.54.0
No more errors in the log file.

Edit to add install
sudo scons install (error: No repo or cache detected)
Reload user profile to have "Battle for Wesnoth" launcher in "Menu/Games".