Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Coffee
Inactive Developer

Re: New animations

Post by Coffee »

Homunculus's Tentacle of the Deep is very nice indeed. I've taken the trouble to tweak the WML so that the offsets work for the different directions of attack. I've attached a video which should play with VLC after unzipping below and the WML file I used that will work on wesnoth 1.11.x.

The thing that is the hardest is making the north, northeast, and northwest animations look convincing. This is why I suggest this modification to the offsets to make the impact area align more with the target unit.
Attachments
Tentacle.cfg
(3.65 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
tentacle attack video.ogg.zip
(359.55 KiB) Downloaded 543 times
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

While I like your efforts, I feel you going in some wrong direction.

An animation going from north to south in on stroke is just to much. I would like 2 different animations SE/S and N/NE would do the job. About the point where the tentacle gets out of the water: Consider keeping it exactly at the same spot and let the regular attack animation movement give a slight shift toward the target.

The animation you have would do nicely for the SE/S animation.
Hadar

Post by Hadar »

Hello folks!

Today I had some time and tampered around with the spectre. I have done this so far.
spectre-anim-blocked-first.gif
spectre-anim-blocked-first.gif (6.87 KiB) Viewed 8805 times
It is only 5 frames so far (and sorry about lines [dis]appearing, they just help me lots when redrawing the armor). Any cool ideas for the backswing?

Cheers!
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Your animation has potential, but there is a problem: The spectre is already animated in 1.11! If you want to work on animations, you should download 1.11.16 so you can see the latest state of the game and what is missing.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

There's also this page: http://www.wesnoth.org/units/trunk/animations.html
although it doesn't tell the whole story, for instance we don't really have a "gryphon" walking corpse variation sprite, although it is checked off on the list.

Also, I don't know how that thing is updated, I assume it's automatically generated somehow but I don't know that for a fact.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

beetlenaut wrote: The spectre is already animated in 1.11!
*I just want to add that it looks amazing*
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

homunculus wrote:Image
I'm pleased to announce that the sprite as well as the animations are finally in. :mrgreen: [1] [2]
Gyra_Solune

Post by Gyra_Solune »

Oh, and here I was thinking on asking about that! It looks really neat!
Eagle_11

Post by Eagle_11 »

Outside of the fact that it's an tendril and not an tentacle it looks good.
Sudipta

Post by Sudipta »

Eagle_11 wrote:Outside of the fact that it's an tendril and not an tentacle it looks good.
I think its okay. It is supposed to be thinner at the edge than on the inside, that's how tentacles are IRL.
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Playing Wesnoth since 2010, still there is so much left to play
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

Sudipta wrote:
Eagle_11 wrote:Outside of the fact that it's an tendril and not an tentacle it looks good.
I think its okay. It is supposed to be thinner at the edge than on the inside, that's how tentacles are IRL.
Where are the suckers? An earth animal has a tail to keep equilibrium and scare flies, but what is the point for an acuatic being have an appendix without suckers?
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

tekelili wrote:I think its okay. It is supposed to be thinner at the edge than on the inside, that's how tentacles are IRL.
Where are the suckers? An earth animal has a tail to keep equilibrium and scare flies, but what is the point for an acuatic being have an appendix without suckers?[/quote]

Reproduction? :eng:

Having suckers or not depend mostly on the purpose the appendix has overall, you don't even know if its an antennae or it have luminous glowing to attract something to its waiting jaws. it could even be like a tongue with saliva...

Also it doesn't even need to have suckers, the Colossal squid Had pointy things on the suckers to grab better at its target. Evolution is rather misterious.
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

tekelili wrote:[About the tentacle of the depth]
Where are the suckers? An earth animal has a tail to keep equilibrium and scare flies, but what is the point for an acuatic being have an appendix without suckers?
As we can see from the attacks, the hidden monster is using the tentacle not for pulling things under water, but just for smashing them. Therefore it doesn't need suckers.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

pauxlo wrote:
tekelili wrote:[About the tentacle of the depth]
As we can see from the attacks, the hidden monster is using the tentacle not for pulling things under water, but just for smashing them. Therefore it doesn't need suckers.
What kind of argument is point animation? Animation could show a tentacle programing Windows95 and still would have not biological sense. Do you seriously think an acuatic living being would develope appendix to smash stuff out of water? (kinda hard smash anything into water)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I mean it could be like a boa or something. Like it smacks the prey, then it pulls into water and constricts it. Doesn't need suckers for that. I would still classify that as "impact" damage :)

Another question is, if it is anatomically correct, then the body that the tentacle is attached must be very heavy, or very firmly attached to the surface underwater. Presumably it has other tentacles as well? Why do we only ever see the one?

I think the tentacle of the deep is inherently fantastical -- like, it's not really an animal, just a malevolent force of magic, or an animal that was changed by malevolent magic. There must be some dark sorcerer somewhere who is lord of the tentacles.