The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

regnak

Re: The Blind Sentinel [Feedback and development topic]

Post by regnak »

Try sending a PM to Whitewolf. I didn't have Gildread disappear like you did.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hello,

Sorry for abandoning my posts, but I have been without internet for a month.
I finally figured out the cause of the invalid saves, but I can't really solve it on my own, I opened a topic for it in the WML workshop.
I'm going to have to check on the disappearing Gildred, but I can't recall any bug like that.

The ship maps have been finished though, and I plan to finish the bonus map in a week, or exclude it until its finished.
The Stone of the North - the sequel to this story - is finished in the meantime, it is under only balancing now. It's first publishing, and the finished 1.2version from Blind Sentinel with ships, and the hopefully fixed saves&gildred, should be published on 21. August.

Best regards, sorry for the long waiting time
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

The Blind Sentinel - 1.2.0 alpha uploaded :)
Did a lot of things in the past 2 weeks:
- fixed 'corrupted files' alias invalid saves on map9, map 23 is in progress! complex bug...
- translation for Hungarian started, now available
- bonus map: excluded until finished
- finished ships, and included missing maps: all 29 maps playable now.
- all northern units significantly nerfed
- fixed and rebalanced Monks and Primates

Map9 is now clear from invalid saves, I couldn't solve map23 though...even if I exclude the capatults which seem to have caused it, it still exists! Just blows my mind.... :hmm: I will fix this as soon as I can, but I'm still looking for the source of the bug...
Otherwise, all known bugs fixed, all maps completed.

I checked on the disappearing Gildred on all difficulties, he never disappeared once...I'm sorry, I have absolutely no other idea what could have happened for you there.

The Stone of the North is now proudly published :) If you you liked this campaign, you are definitely going to like this sequel. For changes, see the description.

Thank you, stay tuned,
WhiteWolf
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Version 1.2.1 uploaded
- mostly unit AMLA bugfixes
GodlyDragon

Post by GodlyDragon »

Hi WhiteWolf, I have played your campaign for some time and there is one thing that bother me: When your leader get promoted, he don t get the upgrades for his rank, like increased HP, damage and improved leadership ( Gildred don t have the upgrades of a Grand Marshal either). Despite this problem, your campaign is most excellent and your promoting system is great. Continue your good work!
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Im glad you liked it :) Gildred and Vormund cannot be promoted on purpose: at that time I didn't see it logical that a leader could promote himself (I mean....lol :D ), and Gildred has higher rank, ergo you cannot over-promote him.
Yes I know, then why is it that you can promote a single soldier even above Gildred? Yes I know it's illogical, and the answer is: I didn't plan the system well :D
Maybe it will be reorganised/renamed in the future, but I don't know yet when, sorry.
Why don't they have their current improvement? I don't know that either. Maybe I can fix that soon with the next version.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Hi. This campaign is really fun! It's a very nice story!

But i met a corrupted save file issue in the last battle (on version 1.2.1).
Sandor disappears and won't back in the beginning of the last battle, this seems to cause a corruption of save files. Could you modify unstore_unit specification from id=executer to variable=executer? This modification fixes the corruption problem (and also Sandor returns) at least in my environment.
Discord: @tamanegi
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
A Group in a War: my first campaign, An Independence War: and the sequel
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Whoa man, if only you could see my face right now...
If you read back a couple of hundreds of posts, you can see that this is a long-known bug, that I wasn't able to fix....since an invalid save was also present at map9, caused by Catapults (which I could thankfully fix, yey) - I suspected the same stuff here. But no, I just couldn't locate the **** bug, I even opened a WML Workshop topic for it with no success.....all because of this little mistake??? :doh: :evil: :augh: Wow...

Well, loads of thanks, it fixes it here too. :) I'll upload a repair patch within a few days, because the code is gutted out (done while trying to locate the bug...) and it needs restoring.

Thanks again for the solution, glad you liked the campaign, if you'd like to, try the sequel to the story, the Stone of the North ;)
Regards,
WhiteWolf
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

Ah... i also never expect such a small mistake causes the terrible corruption. :cry:
Actually, such a too small mistake is difficult to find... anyway, I will try the sequel campaign.

btw, i found some buggy issues
- AMLA problem still remains (only?) for Princess
- i can recruit and recall ships after landing. Explicit set_recruit or calling disallow_recruit would be required? For recalling, not all the ships can be recalled. (Dragonslayer can, New Hopes cannot) i cannot understand what happens.
- duplicate Vormund on Return to Wesnoth mentioned in ancient posts still happens. i think unstoring him directly to x,y=8,5 instead of recall,recall will fix the problem.
-(silly request) pls make Deborah modest in battle
It is true that we cannot be free from bugs, but at least let our bugs not always the same...
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Thanks, fixed them all,

Duplicating Vormunds was on another map if I remember correctly, this was brought about by the introduced ships, and for some reason I forgot to test the returning scenario I suppose...
I couldn't recall ships, every type of ships are killed in the preload event. The whole side is stored in the previous scenario, and then the variable is deleted.
The disallow_recall was missing though, that's fixed now.

What do you mean by modest? :D She received a little attack-boost.

Version 1.2.3 uploaded - (what a mystical number... :shock: )

Regards,
WhiteWolf
tamanegi

Post by tamanegi »

No one cares about her death is very surprising for me... :shock:
Is she really the daughter of that guy? i'm afraid i misread something...

Oh, she is not a matter, my matter is about ships. ;)
i check my replay for ships in recall list. All ships in recall list are wrecked ones. Survived ones are removed correctly.

Ships are not killed when storing them into the variable "recall_list" in the end of scenario.
So these ships are also stored in the recall unit list. (i confirmed in save files)
Ships survived at least one scenario and wrecked before landing are not killed in preload event and thus remain in recall list.
I think killing ships when storing into "recall_list" will fix the problem. This is a guess of a noob.

...my poor English may not be enough to discuss such a compilcated matter, sorry... :(
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

No, killing them on the spot at the end is not an option, because then at the end of the scenario, in the linger mode, the map would be empty, which is a confusing sight to the player.
I can't use kill side=1 in the killing tag because that would kill all units, including standard veterans from before.
So instead I just added a kill tag into the prestart event that kills every ship (types are listed). This is supposed to go through the recall list too, and eliminates all these ghost-ships... ;)
There's no problem with your english, by the way. And don't call yourself noob, you solved a major corruption issue :D

Yes, Deborah is supposed to be Draghornos' doughter, and I forgot to give her a death event. You don't lose when she dies, that would be just cruel to the player - you have enough people to look after I think you don't need another one :D
There is now a short conversation, should she happen to die.

Uploaded 1.2.4.

Regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi everyone

Uploaded 1.2.5.
Worked over the soldier voices, they are starting to sound nice, but some files still need some remastering (there's still audiable distorsion in some cases...bad mic.)

1.2.6 with new remastered sounds should come soon.

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

General Announcement:
All campaigns will be upgraded to Wesnoth 1.12. With the extended possibilities, some earlier bugs will be fixed (like soldiers not speaking during movement, but at arrival - pretty annoying).
By Christmas, The Desolation of Karlag will supposedly be published too.

Regards,
WhiteWolf
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Re: The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Post by WhiteWolf »

1.4.0 is out to enjoy!
With BFW 1.12, fixing the soldier voices was only a few minutes. Many things were redesigned too, f.e. the journeys, and portraits.

Provide any feedback on bugs or stuff, or just a general description.
Thank you,
WhiteWolf