1.18 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.10 and 1.11 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

1.6.9 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. I've revised the final scenarios a bit, so that Belleros gets a little bit better ending. The new scenario Death with Dignity is supposed to be hard to win, I'm not sure if it really is. There isn't really a strict defeat, but victory/defeat determines the enemy forces in the last scenario, and that aspect probably needs more balancing. The dialogue also needs work. But I think it basically works.

Unfortunately, the last scenario has AI problems. I'll try to get it fixed in the coming week, but I couldn't get it fixed now.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.0 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. This is part of an update to deal with migrating many of the terrains to Archaic Resources and the spinning off of sound files to a new dependency, Archaic Sounds. It's a new dependency, but I don't think it will be updated much, so it should cut down on data traffic. If there are any glitches with terrain (where I think new bugs are most likely to show up), please let me know.

This update also fixes many problems with the last two scenarios. I can't say it's totally polished and problem-free, but it's much better than it was, and it is playable through the end. The AI still doesn't quite behave like I wish it would in the last scenario, but that is very tedious to test, and will take some time.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Warlord_VWXZ

Post by Warlord_VWXZ »

Hey, I've been loving Crossfire having had few difficulties up until now with the other parts. On the level "Volcano" I have experienced the same issue that another member posted a whole back with the slow AI for the red team but also when I enter the Chimera room it is at the door. I evade it and for some reason when the dark herald is just leaving the room it displays the message referring to the "cat". Is this intentional or not? The slow AI is better if you don't see Bellaros before Ares kills him. Thanks.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for the report. I never was able to figure out the slowdown, but BfW 1.12 should be out soon, and then it won't matter.
As for the "cat" message, I'm not sure, was it someone speaking? If so, it was probably a badly triggered dialogue intended for color. I've deleted some of those in the more recent version. If it was an error message, I'm even more in the dark, I'd have to ask for more information.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

1.7.1 has been uploaded to the BfW 1.12 server. I've moved some more files around between here and Archaic Resources, mostly focused around the units.

Other changes:
1. animation updates to the unique character units
2. balancing updates to last scenario of Part 3
3. minor updates to Prologue of Part1 (I want to make it more clear what is going on, so the Khthon guard still needs a portrait)
4. minor changes to the map of the first real scenario of Part1
Drakilian

Post by Drakilian »

In the first scenario of the third part of the campaign, if I kill Valerion the scenario ends and my hero start at Gornath village instead of at the southern pass.

Not a biggie (since you can just not kill Valerion), just thought i'd mention it.
Last edited by Drakilian on September 28th, 2014, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks for letting me know, Drakilian. It's not supposed to be possible to kill him, I'll fix that for next time.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Hi,

Been having a lot of fun with the campaign but I had a question. In Huric visits, is it so that the blue commander is unkillable for a time? He moved from his castle so I blasted him with my 'mages' but after several reloads I was unable to damage him.
Second, is it just me or do some of the defence precentages shown not correspond with the actual percentages? I understand that in the end its all chance and anything is possible (like getting three successive hits on only 30% to hit chance) but I feel like (more than normal) I'm being somewhat cheated and my strategicaly placed commandos fo instance are getting slaugthered on otherwise solidly defensible castle tiles. Likewise, I feel like I'm not getting in the hits I should (like on ice where I generally have 80% to hit with only 40% on retalliation, good odds to say the least). I'm not a very able player I must admit, I generaly found the campaign quite difficult on normal settings so perhaps I just suck. But I thougth I'd mention it as it has come to the point where I'm scratching my head thinking 'really, with defence 70% this is happening?' a little too often.

Tenx for all the effort put in making this campaign.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

uddhava wrote: In Huric visits, is it so that the blue commander is unkillable for a time?
Yes. There are a few places in the campaign that are like that, I've been trying to limit and remove those instances, but it's hard to predict everything a lucky or save-loading player will do, or what stupid, suicidal moves the AI will come up with, so it will take a while yet.
uddhava wrote:Second, is it just me or do some of the defence precentages shown not correspond with the actual percentages? I understand that in the end its all chance and anything is possible (like getting three successive hits on only 30% to hit chance) but I feel like (more than normal) I'm being somewhat cheated and my strategicaly placed commandos fo instance are getting slaugthered on otherwise solidly defensible castle tiles. Likewise, I feel like I'm not getting in the hits I should (like on ice where I generally have 80% to hit with only 40% on retalliation, good odds to say the least). I'm not a very able player I must admit, I generaly found the campaign quite difficult on normal settings so perhaps I just suck. But I thougth I'd mention it as it has come to the point where I'm scratching my head thinking 'really, with defence 70% this is happening?' a little too often.
I can't speak to the accuracy of the odds, but if there is anything awry, it wasn't put there by me. Sometimes, the player just has bad luck. I did a search for the instances in the most recent version where I did screw with the odds, and this is what I got:

Code: Select all

scenarios2/1_02_Rescue.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=2,3 id=Peasant 100 (
scenarios2/1_02_Rescue.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=2,3 id=Peasant 100 (
scenarios2/1_02_Rescue.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT (type=Ukian Commando) id=Carusoe 0 (
scenarios2/1_07_Visit.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=1 id=Huric 10 ()}
scenarios2/1_07_Visit.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=1 (id="General Huston") 10 (
scenarios2/1_08_Rumble.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT (
scenarios2/1_09_Ruin.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=1 id="Knafa Skoro" 20 (
scenarios2/1_09_Ruin.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=4 id=Astreya 20 (
scenarios2/1_09_Ruin.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=5 id=Astreya 20 (
scenarios2/1_10_NewHome.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT (side=1) (id=Tank Skoro) 5 (
scenarios3/2_04_Legion.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=2 id=Astreya 10 ()}
scenarios3/2_04_Legion.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT side=1 id=Astreya 20 ()}
scenarios3/2_07_Salvation.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT race=khthon id=Athanta 10 (
scenarios3/2_07_Volcano.cfg:    {FORCE_CHANCE_TO_HIT race=khthon id=Athanta 0 (
A lot of those don't even involve the player, and those that do are usually to stop a too-clever assassination.

If you are having trouble, have you tried building up your forces a bit with the Worldmap skirmishes? It shouldn't take very many to get some experienced units and gold, without having to replay a previous real scenario.
uddhava

Post by uddhava »

Hi,

Tenx for the info. I finished the second part of the campaign now. The orc variations are nice btw. I don't really know what the ouput means you posted but it must the game itself that is producing the odd results. On a final note, in ruin the ai commander of the closest fort 'sallies' out a lot it seems. Managed to kill him off within 5 turns generally which makes the scenario a lot less daunting. Idk it this is intentional so I thought I'd mention it. I think it would be a lot harder if he didn't btw considering he has a lot of starting gold.

grtz
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

uddhava wrote: I don't really know what the ouput means you posted but it must the game itself that is producing the odd results.
Ah, yeah, I guess it's not so obvious. Each line is an instance of "cooking the books", the first column are the file-names of the scenarios and the rest of the stuff is who is getting screwed with and what the conditions are. It's not a perfect display, but it gives some hints at least, and each instance is pretty isolated - it's not governing the campaign mechanics.
uddhava wrote:On a final note, in ruin the ai commander of the closest fort 'sallies' out a lot it seems. Managed to kill him off within 5 turns generally which makes the scenario a lot less daunting. Idk it this is intentional so I thought I'd mention it. I think it would be a lot harder if he didn't btw considering he has a lot of starting gold.
I'll look at that again, thanks.
MerlinCross

Post by MerlinCross »

I guess this is the topic for it, hope I'm not necroing.

When I start up the campaign it says Easy(Less Balance) Normal, and Hard(Less Balance). What does that actually mean? That the easier difficulty is even easier or game breakingly easy because it was balanced for it? Or is it somehow harder than the normal due to this lack of balance?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

MerlinCross wrote: guess this is the topic for it, hope I'm not necroing.
It's fine, you're not necro'ing anything.
MerlinCross wrote:When I start up the campaign it says Easy(Less Balance) Normal, and Hard(Less Balance). What does that actually mean? That the easier difficulty is even easier or game breakingly easy because it was balanced for it? Or is it somehow harder than the normal due to this lack of balance?
It means it wasn't really balanced on those difficulties, like it says. I took my best guess at some places on what to do where it should be easier or harder than Normal, but I didn't test it much, so I make no guarantees. I'm just one person, and there's a limit on how much time I can spend on this, so I chose to spend my efforts on improving the campaign as a whole.
MerlinCross

Re: 1.10 and 1.12 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by MerlinCross »

Ah thanks. I thought it meant less balanced like it says on the tin, but wasn't sure which direction it would be in (Easy might be easier or harder).

Reason I ask is because I can barely make progress in the mainline campaigns, even on easy, so I've been a little worried about trying addons.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: 1.10 and 1.12 SP Campaign - Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

MerlinCross wrote:Ah thanks. I thought it meant less balanced like it says on the tin, but wasn't sure which direction it would be in (Easy might be easier or harder).

Reason I ask is because I can barely make progress in the mainline campaigns, even on easy, so I've been a little worried about trying addons.
In that case, this campaign will probably be frustrating in places. Add-ons can be all over the place, in terms of difficulty, so it's up to you whether you want to stick with mainline or not. I'm not the add-on connoisseur I once was, so I can't really offer recommendations for an easy add-on, unfortunately.
EDIT: though looking at this forum might help:
http://forum.wesnoth.org/viewforum.php?f=31