ANNOUNCEMENT: 4player Map Contest and Overhaul!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yuas

Re: ANNOUNCEMENT: 4player Map Contest and Overhaul!

Post by Yuas »

The Emerald Island, the definitive version of The Sapphire Lake, is here. :eng:
Eisland.Jpg
The Emerald Island.zip
(3.05 KiB) Downloaded 305 times
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Here are my maps, ready to go.
Horus2maps.zip
4p_Geothermal, 4p_Wetworks, 4p_Bath_of_Glory
(6.49 KiB) Downloaded 377 times
However, i have a severe issue with the config file of 4p_Wetworks. This map features an unique scenario objective: to win, you must reduce the number of villages to 4 for one of your opponents. I was unable to make it work, and without it, it does not really worth too much of an attention.
What is the exact deadline in hours, at what GMT? If i can have the whole 1st of August as overtime, maybe i can breathe life into it.

EDIT: Updated the pack, Wetworks has objective as it should be. Also fixed another glaring error in Geothermal as well while i was there. These are ready!
Last edited by Horus2 on August 6th, 2014, 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

TBH, I'm not going to be too picky. Just get it in before I can get people together for judging.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
ezysquire

Post by ezysquire »

Here's a late entry I've fired up. It's a 2v2 fought in a rotting setting. Players will need to respond to ToD changes to be successful. Be prepared to retreat/advance your line!
Attachments
Murkrot.zip
(1.45 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Can one volunteer for testing these?
sylph

Post by sylph »

canal dispute.png
Attachments
canal dispute.map
(7.67 KiB) Downloaded 268 times
If I spoke the truth, they would put me in a straitjacket. So, I left the society.
H-Hour

Post by H-Hour »

I was hoping to make a further revision before the deadline, but I was unable to do so and will not get a chance until at least next week. Please consider the version in this post my entry.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Funny how being sick sometimes ends up giving you time to catch up on things.

I have finally turned all of the submitted maps into an add-on. Due to the fact that some maps use terrain that is only available in the development version, it is only available on the development version.

Some of the maps were submitted without .cfgs. Because I was sick and had nothing better to do I made .cfgs for these maps. Normally, I don't think I'd even accept such submissions. If I made any mistakes on the .cfgs, tell me and I'll fix them. If you had a map to submit and I missed it, then feel free to remind me where to find it.

There are some maps in there that have not been mentioned elsewhere in this thread. It should serve as a decent map-pack as much for maps that don't win the contest as maps that do.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Any progress in the judging process? Or every piece of information is being held back until winner has been announced? Hopefully not because your illness is/was so chronic... get better soon (or sooner next time), if that applies.

I'm a bit sad that we won't see a stable edition, i would already advertised the hell out of it. Maybe late with the idea, but i would happily convert the incompatible maps if you give permission.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I definitely am willing to give permission. That would help a lot.

As for the rest: The judging period is technically till the end of August. I've been (and it's looking to be even more so) very busy the past month and the few times I have tried testing I haven't gotten any competent takers. Nobody else has volenteered to be a full judge. I have however gone through the maps and evaluated them by personal preference and I have not informed the winners.

I would rather not make a final decision without giving it more effort but since I picked up a new job and am getting more training (and apparently am going to have family around for the next week or so) I don't anticipate spending a lot of time on Wesnoth. In general I'd be happy to extend the judging period until it can get the attention it needs but I don't know when that would be and I don't like extending things indefinitely.

I think what I'll likely do, unless I can get some good help, is use the release of the new stable version as a timer of sorts. Ideally I should make a decision before it's released but if it's released before I can buckle down I'll use it as a sign that I need to make a decision.

Hopefully, regardless of what happens, things will calm down for me and I'll be able to work with the maps in the pool. Once maps get mainlined they tend to get more testing and problems will become easier to spot.
Horus2

Post by Horus2 »

Velensk wrote:I think what I'll likely do, unless I can get some good help, is use the release of the new stable version as a timer of sorts. Ideally I should make a decision before it's released but if it's released before I can buckle down I'll use it as a sign that I need to make a decision.
Hear hear. :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

My schedule is lightening up slightly and I should be getting back to his pretty soon. As 1.12 was just released it seems my timing was decent.
NanRage

Post by NanRage »

error
Attachments
error.png
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Turns out to be a simple capitalization issue. New version is up where it should be fixed. If you have anymore issues just report back.