[mainline] Red mages naming

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Ranger

[mainline] Red mages naming

Post by Ranger »

"Great Mage"? What kind of a name for unit is that? Think about it: Then why dont we call previous level a "Not Quite Great Mage"? :P
It is my belief that 4'th level should be named Archmage, as Arch- is supposted to mean "Supreme", while 3lvl would have to go by a new naming.
Your thoughts?
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: [mainline] Red mages naming

Post by Velensk »

TBH, I have always felt that the lvl 4 should be arcmage. Not sure what the lvl 3 form should be called.

On the other hand, I don't know how anyone could care enough to worry about it much.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I remain skeptical on this topic.

A possible new form could like this:
Red Mage -->Inferno Mage --> Supreme Mage

However, I doubt the developers would agree to this since this change would require the adjustment of almost all mainline campaigns (HttT, AToTB, TSG, AOI, EI, THoT, NR) as well as a considerable percentage of all available UMC to feature the unit-line.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord-Knightmare wrote:However, I doubt the developers would agree to this since this change would require the adjustment of almost all mainline campaigns (HttT, AToTB, TSG, AOI, EI, THoT, NR) as well as a considerable percentage of all available UMC to feature the unit-line.
If a proper argument was made for the new naming convention, it would only be a matter of someone taking the time to do so.

As far as UMCs, it would be something that could be announced earlier in 1.13 so that UMC authors have plenty of months (years) to adapt for 1.14.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Before just changing names because we think the top level Mage deserves a cooler name, I think it makes sense to think about it in terms of "lore." What do the different levels of the Mage represent? Level 1 is your Student, or like a Padawan in Star Wars (for those who speak a different Geek dialect). The second level is the Master/Graduate level Mage who might begin taking on apprentices. Level three is where you get "Jedi Council" level, and that's the top for most everyone. Going any higher is extremely rare, and the territory of legend. Is Archmage the best title for someone this awesome? Could be, but it seems reasonable for the level three as well. I suggest either something like Archmage/Legendary Mage for levels 3 and 4 respectively, or maybe something like
Master Mage/Archmage. Then again, it could be nice to change things up from always using a term with "Mage" in it somewhere, and use more fantasical terms like "Arcannister."
I will now resume lurking silently.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I've always thought these two names were backwards too, so I would be in favor of a change. I think "supreme", "arch, and "great" are all a little inappropriate though because the Great Mage is not supreme at anything except throwing fire. For that reason, I would prefer Inferno Mage for level 4. For level 3, Mage of Flame would make it sound similar to the corresponding White Mage. (For that matter, the Silver Mage could be made to match the set better by being called the Mage of Reach or something. That would give all the lines some continuity: a color at level 2, and a specialty at level 3.)
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

beetlenaut wrote:Great Mage is not supreme at anything except throwing fire.
This :lol:

I mean, we have a mage who can teleport as well as throw fire. Even necromancers appear to have more skills as they can cast two different spells and raise dead. Also there are white mages, who can heal and cure people. Never thought about it this way before, but it appears that the "Great Mage" has pretty weak magic skills compared to the others...
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

First: thank you for your replies. Its good to see that Wesnoth community is still somewhat alive. :mrgreen:

I see that there are more challeges here than I thought.
If we are to change the name of a unit it's semblance should still comfort it's name.
An Archmage, in most fantasy settings, is supposed to be deeply knowleggeable of magic and sorcery should have next to none other beign that could challenge him in his art.
What we have is a slow and fragile glass cannon that honestly is hard to compare to other 4lvl spellcasters: A Sylph and Ancient Lich.
And while both of them clearly had had more time to perfect their skills it was said somewhere in the forums that humans are more inventive and driven because of their short lives and thus sometimes can be a proper match for them.
I suppose we can accept that this is true also for magic skill and thus, I believe, ArchMage(4th-lvl human-mage line advancement) should have similar power and versatility.

If I have forgot anything important or misunderstood Wesnoth game/world mecchanics I would like you to include that in your replies.
Calling a spear a spoon and then saying "our spoons are different, WINR," is kind of unsatisfying, isn't it?
Telchin

Post by Telchin »

Add me to the list of people who think that "Archmage" sounds like a higher rank than "Great Mage". While the titles mean essentially the same thing, "great" is an everyday word, while "arch-" is a greek prefix, so it sounds more arcane. I'm not sure if I would just swap those names or make up a new one for either level. I don't like the suggestion "Inferno Mage", because "Inferno" means "Hell" and while I'm aware it's meant in the meaning of "he cast hellish flames", I feel it would be too sinister name for a unit that usually appears on the side of the designated good guys.
Speaking of Infernos, for the same reason I don't like the names for Inferno and Armageddon Drake. These are the Drakes that have mastered their inner dragon fire. They should be paragons of their race, so I think they should have more positive sounding names. (If there is such thing as Drake hell, I would expect it to be cold and clammy :) ) I guess you could reason that they're supposed to be names given by their human enemies.
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

I have a name for 3rd lvl RedMage:
Magister

Ma*gis"ter\, n. [L. See Master.] Master; sir; -- a title of the Middle Ages, given to a person in authority, or to one having a license from a university to teach philosophy and the liberal arts.
So maybe it could go like this:
Apprentice mage -> Mage -> Magister ->ArchMage :hmm:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Ranger wrote:Apprentice mage
This seems too generic, I would try Initiate.

Initiate -> Magus -> Magister -> Arch Mage

StandYourGround wrote:Then again, it could be nice to change things up from always using a term with "Mage" in it somewhere, and use more fantasical terms like "Arcannister."
The dwarves beat the humans to it...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
James_The_Invisible

Post by James_The_Invisible »

Turuk wrote:I would try Initiate.
Initiate is used for (level 1) necromancy practitioners in Dark Hordes and War of Legends (it may be used somewhere else too but I cannot remember it right now). It could cause some confusion, I think.
Turuk wrote:The dwarves beat the humans to it...
We already have (human) Ranger and Elvish Ranger ...
Ranger

Post by Ranger »

Turuk
What about: neophyte; acolyte; savant;? I'm leaning towards acolyte.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Well, I don't think we should change the first two level name. I like to think of the first mage as kind of student who already got his bachelor. He is a mage, but not a pro. So don't call him initiate or apprentice.
Red mage fits together with the white mage and the dark sorcerer. So that shouldn't be changed too.
The third and fourth lvl advancements are the ones who cause confusion, so lets focus on them. I personaly lrefer beetlenauts "mage of flame" and for the fourth level "archmage"
And while both of them clearly had had more time to perfect their skills it was said somewhere in the forums that humans are more inventive and driven because of their short lives and thus sometimes can be a proper match for them. I suppose we can accept that this is true also for magic skill and thus, I believe, ArchMage(4th-lvl human-mage line advancement) should have similar power and versatility.
Let's not go overboard here. A 16x4 fire attack is one of the strongest ingame. So no need to be changed
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Xalzar

Post by Xalzar »

Ranger wrote:Apprentice mage
Turuk wrote:... I would try Initiate.
Ranger wrote:neophyte; acolyte; savant
When did we shift the topic from the 3rd and 4th leves of the Mage line?

Slightly ninja'd by Paulomat4, I agree with him: I honestly prefer leaving the first two levels their current denomination.
So:

Mage -> Red Mage (this in particular, don't change: it's a nice parallel with the White Mage and is so characteristic of the game...) -> ...
Ranger wrote:Magister:
This, for the level 3, and promote "Archmage" to the 4th.

... -> Magister -> Archmage

Good name magister, it has "magi" in it and it has the right meaning I think. Mages who got so expert in their discipline and who now are teachers at a Magic Academy on Alduin or somewhere else. :eng:

Otoh, I shiver thinking of the magnificent term "Magister" translated in the various languages. Who knows what crazyness could come out :doh: (I have hope on translators, do a good job!). ;)