Dawn of Thunder [SP campaign for 1.16.x]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Re: The Rising [SP campaign for 1.11.10 and later]

Post by Paulomat4 »

Scenario 1+2: The placement of the villages is fine now. You changed the the trait of the loyal fencer into resilient. Wouldn't it be a better idea to choose strong? No unit type gets a higher profit from this trait than this one and it might improve your low damage against the undead in scenario 2+3, but I'm not shure about the latter one.
changed as you say

Scenario 3: It's more interesting now, but in my eyes you went a bit over the top.
There are to many flying units with high movement rates. You get easiely attacked at to many places, which makes defending pretty difficult. I think you should remove the bats. They don't fit into the scenario anyway, because it is a about undead and they aren't even if they are part of the undead faction in the standard game. By the way, Naia talks about fighting 'skeletons' in the starting dialog. This is a bit irritating because it's not just skeletons.

The coincidental apearance of enemies together with attacking in the same turn is to much of a gambling game. You get easily surrounded out of nothing at appropriate places like the villages in the northeast. If you remove the bats, it might be okay that way, but you should concider to not let them move/attack in the same turn they appear.

The biggest problem is 'Sucidal Limwen'. It was okay to defend her in the previous version after reaching her. Now the enemy is a lot stronger and you won't have enough units to build a defence line out of her reach. If the only choice for a leader is suicide behaviour and pinning the unit, you should go for the latter one with Limwen. She is to fragile to let her fight.

Increasing the diffculty in this scenario undermined the main goal of it. You won't be able to move Fiannon towards the sign post before the last wave, because there are too many enemies on the map and you can't give him enough protection, which is needed to keep Limwen alive. It doesn't really matter, because people are likely to get the bonus, but at the current state it ends up as a sort of nonsens option.
You are surely right aboput the scenario being too hard. As already stated, the unit spawning system still needs work. How many units do you feel would be appropriate per level?
for now we have

Code: Select all

10 units for easy
15 for normal
17 for hard
Next version will also include that the number of enemies ismore random, so you might get 9 on easy, but you might also get 11.

for comparison: previously we had 10 units for all difficulties, and I felt that it was too easy. Perhaps 15 would be fine for hard?
and something like 12 for normal?
I think you should remove the bats. They don't fit into the scenario anyway
you are right. they were meant to bring some diversity, but they don't really fit.
Scenario 7: I think there is a bug in this one. I didn't meet any fallen faerie apart from Maeblie. If I occupied a teleport tree before Oenoch is called none appeared and later on they didn't appear as well.
I haven't touched this one since a while (except some story events). Did this happen on your first play through too? I'll have a look at it.
Scenario 8: I was a bit astonished after finishing the scenario, because it was a lot more relaxed than my attempts with the previous version. The northern enemies attacked me only twice at the castle front and in the end their leader was killed by the allied elves not me. It was a bit crowded at the southern front but managable. The time limit of 30 rounds is fine.
Well, everything I did was giving the enemies more gold. Must have been good luck or something.
Just out of curiousity, when are the traits of the woodchoppers defined? I finshed the previous scenario at different rounds, but thy always got the same traits.
line 888-920 of the scenario
exact code:
the important thing is the key

random_traits=no
which is missing, which equals

random_traits=yes
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Paulomat4 wrote:You are surely right aboput the scenario being too hard. As already stated, the unit spawning system still needs work. How many units do you feel would be appropriate per level?
for now we have

10 units for easy
15 for normal
17 for hard
Next version will also include that the number of enemies ismore random, so you might get 9 on easy, but you might also get 11.

for comparison: previously we had 10 units for all difficulties, and I felt that it was too easy. Perhaps 15 would be fine for hard?
and something like 12 for normal?
From a defence point of view the many high movment units are the bigger problem than the total number, but a reduction of the latter one is still a good idea, especially if want to have a realistic chance to move Fiannon to the signpost. 12 units sounds good and if you remove the the bats it will be okay.

I haven't touched this one since a while (except some story events). Did this happen on your first play through too? I'll have a look at it.
In my first run it happend. This time I tried to occupy the lowest three trees as fast as possible, but the left one still needed three turns and I'm sure they came out of the tree earlier in the first run.
Well, everything I did was giving the enemies more gold. Must have been good luck or something.
I add the replay, so you can have look at it on your own.

Does Fiannon get an improvement of the movement rate to six at some point of his advancement?
Attachments
Grand_Meeting_Wiederholung_anzeigen.gz
(105.26 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I add the replay, so you can have look at it on your own.
Somehow it is broken. I was unable to open it.
Does Fiannon get an improvement of the movement rate to six at some point of his advancement?
Yes, at level 2 one of his additional advancements gets him six mp. I hate units with less than six movepoints ;)

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
RainerT

Post by RainerT »

Paulomat4 wrote:Somehow it is broken. I was unable to open it.
I works for me, but it doesn't really matter. I might have been really luckey.
I hate units with less than six movepoints ;)
I don't like them either. ;)
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

Spawnevents_scenario3.cfg

In scenario 3 the following message showed up:

text= _ "Still $waves_to_go clan members to defeat!"

I don't think that clan members is intended.

id=05_lake_aelin

Just a minor issue, but for me it sounds unfitting when the following message (second_unit) is spoken by an troll.
Better make sure that it is an orc who speaks it.
You can add a race=orc to the [filter_second]

[event]
	    name=attack_end
		[filter]
		    side=1
		[/filter]
		[filter_second]
		    side=3
		[/filter_second]
		[message]
		    speaker=second_unit
			message= _ "Boss, I recognize these reinforcements. These are the Elves who have slain your Brother!"
		[/message]
		[message]
		    speaker=Orc
			message= _ "Very good! This way I will Revenge my brother without even needing to find these worms!"
		[/message]
	[/event]
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Spawnevents_scenario3.cfg

In scenario 3 the following message showed up:

text= _ "Still $waves_to_go clan members to defeat!"

I don't think that clan members is intended.
of course, simple copy and pasting error. fixed.
id=05_lake_aelin

Just a minor issue, but for me it sounds unfitting when the following message (second_unit) is spoken by an troll.
Better make sure that it is an orc who speaks it.
You can add a race=orc to the [filter_second]
seems logical. fixed too.

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

So, I played this campaign on Wesnoth 1.11.15, Hard difficulty.
First of all, let me tell you that I really like the intro text effect (the one made with [interim_text]). It may need some cleanup, but... do you mind if I commit it (when I can) in the Wesnoth Lua Pack?
Another thing that I really liked is the newcamp.png icon that you use in story screens. How did you make it?
Anyway, now let's start with the various issues that I found:
  • In several scenarios, the early finish bonus isn't awarded. This is due to the fact that you used bonus=no in [endlevel]. Is this intentional?
  • It seems to me like Alasar's XP requirement is too high. I get that this is kind of the purpose of the egoistic trait, but maybe you can tame it a bit? Let's say, how about replacing increase=100% with 50% or 75%?
  • I noticed that both Fiannon and Naia have two or three additional AMLAs for each level, besides the normal advancement. Maybe it should be modified, so the player must get all the AMLAs for a certain level, before advancing to the next level? Otherwise it's be possible to miss, for example, the two advancements that Fiannon can get at L1.
  • In the second scenario I attempted an absurd strategy: I recalled a Druid, a Sorceress and a Captain, then started recruiting ONLY Shamans. As weird as it may seem, it worked! :D Needless to say, I leveled up a few of them, and some other were about to level up. This was really important in later scenarios: can you imagine having an assault team made of four Sylphs? 8)
  • In the third and fifth scenarios, my allies behaved suicidally. I tried my best to defend them, but it wasn't enough. In fact, I was forced to undroid their sides to win the scenarios. :evil: Now, you have three options to solve the problem: you can alter the AI to be more careful, you can add the AI_CONTROLLER macro, or you can give the player the option take control of the side.
  • While checking for clues on a possible bug, I noticed the nested [else] [if] structure that you have in {SPAWN_UNIT_RAND}. Since you're using a list of numbers, this structure should be modified to use a [switch] [case], because right now is almost unreadable.
  • Once again in the third scenario, I spent too much time defeating an enemy wave. Well, on turn 32 I got another wave (despite Limwen telling me a few turns ago that the waves ended) and, more important, a message appeared stating that I had "Still -1 clan members to defeat!".
  • In the sixth scenario, I managed to kill the green leader. Well, one of my Sylphs climbed on the carriage and got destroyed forever, because she was stored inside the killing_unit variable, but she was never unstored! :augh:
  • In the seventh scenario, I attempted another absurd strategy: on my second play, I faced it only with the auto-recalled units. I triggered (by advancing carefully) the Wose summoning on turn 3, and destroyed it three turns later. It wasn't easy, but the gold bonus was well worth this attempt.
  • The eighth scenarios seems largely unbalanced to me. After a failed first attempt (and this is why I played twice the former scenario), I recalled my loyal Hunters, my loyal Mage, four Sylphs and some other units. Then I went North, on a mission to kill the blue Orc.
    On turn 6, I managed to do what I thought was an impossible feat; however, doing so freed one of my sides from the siege, so I was able to defend better. Meanwhile, my leader wandered on the right side of the map, killing stray units and gaining XP.
    After turn 15, the Sylphs, the Mage and the Hunters dispatched a lot of purple units, thus freeing a corridor for my leader.
    I ended on turn 20/25, with a deep negative gold. However, as it is currently, I suspect that most players won't be able to pass this scenario on Hard difficult.
    I'd suggest you to set the player's gold as {GOLD 250 225 200} with {INCOME 2 1 0}, and give less reinforcements to the Orcs (like, 75 GP instead of 100); or maybe, lower the reinforcement frequency to one every three or four turns instead of every two turns. And once again, it wasn't helpful the fact that my ally didn't really try to defend the castle, instead attempting to kill every enemy unit that it could, and getting beaten in the process...
  • Finally, here there is a bunch of stderr errors that I got. As soon as I can I'll try to be more precise about where I got them (especially for the cannot show message and event with empty id errors).

error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=Fallen Faerie encountered.
    error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=Fallen Sprite encountered.
    error general: Square bracket lengths do not match up: units/elves/elvish-thunderer/elvish-thunderer-magic[1,2,1].png:[100*2,200,100,50]
    warning unit: Unknown attribute 'attack_depth' discarded.
    error display: could not open image 'portraits/M'Brin.png'
    error gui/draw: Image: 'portraits/M'Brin.png' not found and won't be drawn.
    warning engine: attempt to add an [event] with empty id=, ignoring 
    warning engine: cannot show message
    error display: could not open image '0'
    warning unit: Unknown attribute 'slowed' discarded.
    error audio: cannot open track 'everlasting_night.ogg'; disabled in this playlist.
    error audio: cannot open track 'lunar_cage.ogg'; disabled in this playlist.
    error audio: cannot open track 'zhaytee-tragedy.ogg'; disabled in this playlist.
    error display: Tile at 0,0 isn't on the map, can't scroll to the tile.
    error display: could not open image 'units/wose-shaman-attack-1.png'
    error display: could not open image 'units/wose-shaman-attack-2.png'
    error display: could not open image 'units/wose-shaman.png'
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

hey,
thanks for the feedback. I'm not on my home computer right now, so I not able to address the bugs, but i'll get to it in two weeks.
First of all, let me tell you that I really like the intro text effect (the one made with [interim_text]). It may need some cleanup, but... do you mind if I commit it (when I can) in the Wesnoth Lua Pack?
I'm not the author of the code, rather I "stole´" it from vultraz's add-on. (it was called nx-rpg, but I don't recall it's actual name)
Another thing that I really liked is the newcamp.png icon that you use in story screens. How did you make it?
I'm not good at all at art, so I searched the entire art workshop. I found this image on page 5 or 6 I believe.
In several scenarios, the early finish bonus isn't awarded. This is due to the fact that you used bonus=no in [endlevel]. Is this intentional?
no, it's not and I believe it is already fixed on the newest version which i'm still holding back
It seems to me like Alasar's XP requirement is too high. I get that this is kind of the purpose of the egoistic trait, but maybe you can tame it a bit? Let's say, how about replacing increase=100% with 50% or 75%?
To be honest, i haven't really put it much thought into when I increased it. You might be right, 75% might be more appropiate.
I noticed that both Fiannon and Naia have two or three additional AMLAs for each level, besides the normal advancement. Maybe it should be modified, so the player must get all the AMLAs for a certain level, before advancing to the next level? Otherwise it's be possible to miss, for example, the two advancements that Fiannon can get at L1.
What I wanted to achieve is to give the player the choice: Do you want a powerful leader quick, or do you want to max out your leader. Perhaps you are only interested in the movement point bonus at level 2, but not on the resistance increase?

I might add a note about the unuasal advancements though when you first select both units.
In the second scenario I attempted an absurd strategy: I recalled a Druid, a Sorceress and a Captain, then started recruiting ONLY Shamans. As weird as it may seem, it worked! :D Needless to say, I leveled up a few of them, and some other were about to level up. This was really important in later scenarios: can you imagine having an assault team made of four Sylphs? 8)
That is mostly the same strategy I'm using when I play this scenario.
Spoiler:
In the third and fifth scenarios, my allies behaved suicidally. I tried my best to defend them, but it wasn't enough. In fact, I was forced to undroid their sides to win the scenarios. :evil: Now, you have three options to solve the problem: you can alter the AI to be more careful, you can add the AI_CONTROLLER macro, or you can give the player the option take control of the side.
I thought I had already altered the ally to be able to survive. I think I'll just use the AI_CONTROLLER macro. I just have to add it to the side definition, right? I never found anything on it in the wiki, thought I haven't really searched neither :oops:
While checking for clues on a possible bug, I noticed the nested [else] [if] structure that you have in {SPAWN_UNIT_RAND}. Since you're using a list of numbers, this structure should be modified to use a [switch] [case], because right now is almost unreadable.
I have never really been bothered by such structures, but if it makes it easier to read for others I will changed. (and there's also the possibility that some wml-beginner tries to use my code and gets bad habits)
Once again in the third scenario, I spent too much time defeating an enemy wave. Well, on turn 32 I got another wave (despite Limwen telling me a few turns ago that the waves ended) and, more important, a message appeared stating that I had "Still -1 clan members to defeat!".
That's also most likely fixed on the newest version. I believe it was already reported and that i fixed it. I'll check again though.

In the sixth scenario, I managed to kill the green leader. Well, one of my Sylphs climbed on the carriage and got destroyed forever, because she was stored inside the killing_unit variable, but she was never unstored! :augh:
I'm so so sorry for your loss. I hope she rests in peace :cry:
Humor aside, I really thought it worked. I've tested it a few times, but I'll look into it.
In the seventh scenario, I attempted another absurd strategy: on my second play, I faced it only with the auto-recalled units. I triggered (by advancing carefully) the Wose summoning on turn 3, and destroyed it three turns later. It wasn't easy, but the gold bonus was well worth this attempt.
Such bravery should be rewarded! :D I'll think about making that impossible though. Haven't you been swarmed with fallen faeries?
The eighth scenarios seems largely unbalanced to me. After a failed first attempt (and this is why I played twice the former scenario), I recalled my loyal Hunters, my loyal Mage, four Sylphs and some other units. Then I went North, on a mission to kill the blue Orc.
On turn 6, I managed to do what I thought was an impossible feat; however, doing so freed one of my sides from the siege, so I was able to defend better. Meanwhile, my leader wandered on the right side of the map, killing stray units and gaining XP.
After turn 15, the Sylphs, the Mage and the Hunters dispatched a lot of purple units, thus freeing a corridor for my leader.
I ended on turn 20/25, with a deep negative gold. However, as it is currently, I suspect that most players won't be able to pass this scenario on Hard difficult.
I'd suggest you to set the player's gold as {GOLD 250 225 200} with {INCOME 2 1 0}, and give less reinforcements to the Orcs (like, 75 GP instead of 100); or maybe, lower the reinforcement frequency to one every three or four turns instead of every two turns. And once again, it wasn't helpful the fact that my ally didn't really try to defend the castle, instead attempting to kill every enemy unit that it could, and getting beaten in the process...
So I'll add the AI_CONTROLLER macro too and balance it as you suggested. I will also balance it as you say, as I don't play on hard.
Finally, here there is a bunch of stderr errors that I got. As soon as I can I'll try to be more precise about where I got them (especially for the cannot show message and event with empty id errors).

That would be very helpful, as I see no other possibility then to go through every scenario file for these two errors. I'll look into the other ones.

Thanks for all of the feedback.
also for everyone else who might watch this thread: After I fixed these bugs i'll release a new version in approximately 3 weeks. So if you're just playing scenario 8 I suggest to wait for the new version to play it as you'll have to replay it otherwise for scnario 9.

Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

Paulomat4 wrote:I'm not the author of the code, rather I "stole´" it from vultraz's add-on. (it was called nx-rpg, but I don't recall it's actual name)
Paulomat4 wrote:I'm not good at all at art, so I searched the entire art workshop. I found this image on page 5 or 6 I believe.
Thanks for the informations. :) I found the thread about the map icon: it's this one.
Paulomat4 wrote:I have never really been bothered by such structures, but if it makes it easier to read for others I will changed. (and there's also the possibility that some wml-beginner tries to use my code and gets bad habits)
It isn't only to make it easier to read, but to make it easier for you to maintain. I converted for you the first lines of the block, so you can see how it will look:

[switch]
	variable=unitnumber
	[case]
		value=1
		[set_variable]
			name=unittype
			value="Elvish Warrior Spirit"
		[/set_variable]
	[/case]
	[case]
		value=2
		[set_variable]
			name=unittype
			value="Elvish Ancestor"
		[/set_variable]
	[/case]
	[case]
		value=3
		[set_variable]
			name=unittype
			value="Soulless"
		[/set_variable]
	[/case]
	# ... continue this way up to value 13
[/switch]
Much better, isn't it? 8)
Paulomat4 wrote:Such bravery should be rewarded! :D I'll think about making that impossible though. Haven't you been swarmed with fallen faeries?
Maybe I was just lucky, but they attacked my ally more than me. It's easier to kill a L1 Spearman, after all.
Paulomat4 wrote:That would be very helpful, as I see no other possibility then to go through every scenario file for these two errors. I'll look into the other ones.
Here you go.
This error:

error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=Fallen Faerie encountered.
error config: Multiple [unit_type]s with id=Fallen Sprite encountered.
is caused by the fact that you're including {~add-ons/The_Rising/units/faeries} thrice: in _main.cfg, in units/faeries.cfg and in humans-northguard.cfg. Remove two of them.
The errors

error display: could not open image 'units/elves/elvish-halberdier/elvish-halberdier-leading.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/wose-shaman-attack-1.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/wose-shaman-attack-2.png'
error display: could not open image 'units/wose-shaman.png'
happen in every scenario, because you're pointing to the wrong file names. The correct ones are:

units/elves/elvish-halberdier/animation-leading.png
units/woses/wose-shaman-attack-1.png
units/woses/wose-shaman-attack-2.png
units/woses/wose-shaman.png
This one:

error general: Square bracket lengths do not match up: units/elves/elvish-thunderer/elvish-thunderer-magic[1,2,1].png:[100*2,200,100,50]
is caused by the compact animation syntax. Let's try to expand the two square brackets:

[0] First: 1 Second: 100 -> elvish-thunderer-magic1.png:100
[1] First: 2 Second: 100 -> elvish-thunderer-magic2.png:100
[2] First: 1 Second: 200 -> elvish-thunderer-magic1.png:200
[3] First: ? Second: 100 ->
[4] First: ? Second: 50 ->
Now you can see what the engine means with that message.
Scenario 2, side 2: this line:

{ATTACK_DEPTH 2 4 6}
causes this error, because it's outside of the [ai] tag:

warning unit: Unknown attribute 'attack_depth' discarded.
According to AiWML, that key doesn't work any more, so you can just delete it.
Scenario 3: here there are two errors:

error display: could not open image 'portraits/M'Brin.png'
error gui/draw: Image: 'portraits/M'Brin.png' not found and won't be drawn.
This is caused by the fact that you have this line:

profile=portraits/M'Brin.png
The problem is that I played on Linux, which is case sensitive: for me, M'Brin.png is not the same thing as M'brin.png, that indeed exists. This is the kind of errors that can be pointed by a pass through the Python maintenance tools: do you want me to run them?
Scenario 6: the error

error display: could not open image 0
is caused by these line:

{HIGHLIGHT_IMAGE 15 16 items/gohere.png 0}
{HIGHLIGHT_IMAGE 29 24 (scenery/caravan.png) 0}
The macro's signature is:

#define HIGHLIGHT_IMAGE X Y IMAGE BACKGROUND_VALUE
where BACKGROUND_VALUE must be an image file. The interface-utils.cfg says:
[...] If there's an existing [item] on the
# location, specify it as the BACKGROUND_VALUE or else it'll get lost
# during the blinking.
It's clear that 0 isn't a valid value. You'll just have to replace 0 with empty quotes: "".
This error:

warning unit: Unknown attribute 'slowed' discarded.
is caused by this block:

[set_variable]
			name=captured_Duron_Bleil.slowed
			value=no
		[/set_variable]
because the variable to set is captured_Duron_Bleil.status.slowed.
Scenario 7:
Here I got these messages:

error audio: cannot open track 'everlasting_night.ogg'; disabled in this playlist.
error audio: cannot open track 'lunar_cage.ogg'; disabled in this playlist.
error audio: cannot open track 'zhaytee-tragedy.ogg'; disabled in this playlist.
The point here is that you don't have such music tracks in your add-on.
Finally, a really nasty bug:

In scenario 3, you have the following block:

[modify_unit]
		    [filter]
		        id=Limwen
		    [/filter]
	    	side=1
		    {TRAIT_LOYAL}
		    {IS_LOYAL}
		    canrecruit=no
		    [event]
	            name=post advance
	            [modify_unit]
	                [filter]
	                    id=Limwen
	                [/filter]
	                profile=portraits/Limwen_wings.png
	            [/modify_unit]
				[message]
				    speaker=Limwen
				    message= _ "I thought I would never reach the status of being a Faery due to my old age but I achieved the aim in life of every shaman. One can not be nearer to Eloh than I am. "
				[/message]
            [/event]
		[/modify_unit]
In fact, you're attaching an event to Limwen. I had to spend about one hour, and I was forced to add this line to handlers.cpp:

WRN_NG << "event name: " << new_ev["name"] << "\n";
in the hope to find some clues. That's right: I had to modify the C++ source and recompile to find a clue! But at least that worked, as the game answered me by writing Event name: post advance. And it's confirmed by running wesnoth with --log-info=all:

info unit: Generating a trait for unit type Elvish Druid with musthaveonly 1
where our Druid should be Limwen. That said, I'm not sure what exactly causes this. But from what I can gather from unit.cpp, maybe we hit a borderline case here (it's the first time ever that I see [modify_unit] being used to attach events).
So, I suggest you to move the event to a file in utils, maybe call it events.cfg, create a GLOBAL_EVENTS macro, and call this macro in every scenario.
However, I wasn't able to check for the cannot show message errors. :(
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Thanks for all of the troubleshootimg. I will adress all of these things as soon as possible.
Thanks for all of the time invested in helping me. :)

Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

So, i'm back to a computer again and now addressing all of the issues you pointed out.
In the sixth scenario, I managed to kill the green leader. Well, one of my Sylphs climbed on the carriage and got destroyed forever, because she was stored inside the killing_unit variable, but she was never unstored! :augh:
I'm so so sorry for your loss. I hope she rests in peace :cry:
Humor aside, I really thought it worked. I've tested it a few times, but I'll look into it.
I just tested this again, but was not able to reproduce this one. My unit got unstored at the end of the scenario during the discussion with commander Raief. Are you sure you didn't overlook this?

I think caravan_unit was unstored. It is only in rare cases (when you kill the bandit captain with a hero like naia or Fiannon) that caravan_unit and killing_unit are different from each other.
The problem is that I played on Linux, which is case sensitive: for me, M'Brin.png is not the same thing as M'brin.png, that indeed exists. This is the kind of errors that can be pointed by a pass through the Python maintenance tools: do you want me to run them?
Yes, that would be great. I tried once to get them, but didn't get them to work.

krzysioolek

Post by krzysioolek »

Hi! first of all: thanks for the campaign! It's been fun to play it. I like the way the leaders advance and other ideas. As Elvish Hunter had an assault team of Sylphs I got a grey mage, so after capturing a village i could send two strong units instantly and have them evacuated in case their HP got to low.

Maybe the loyal human units you get should get more "elvish" if they advance among the elves? Elves are said to have some magic and influence on the world around them don't they? And if a unit goes from lvl 0 to 3 it might have happened. It could be just a little things like movement cost in forest or so. Maybe just like the leaders we could decide if we want the unit to get +5resistance in a forest or -1 movement instead of getting lvl?

I think the Grand Meeting was too easy. I played it on average difficulty, but still it was easier than previous scenarios. I managed (with a huge help of AI side actually) to get rid of all enemy leaders. From the storytelling point of view, it would be a big thing among "bad guys" circles if the Wesmere forest was under such an attac, so maybe some reinforcements from the North? This way it would still be possible to get to the tunnels.

Can't wait for more scenerios. Cheers!
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

Hey, thanks for the feedback.
krzysioolek wrote:Hi! first of all: thanks for the campaign! It's been fun to play it. I like the way the leaders advance and other ideas. As Elvish Hunter had an assault team of Sylphs I got a grey mage, so after capturing a village i could send two strong units instantly and have them evacuated in case their HP got to low.
I suppose you mean a silver mage? I hope so, because else that would be a bugreport ;)
Maybe the loyal human units you get should get more "elvish" if they advance among the elves? Elves are said to have some magic and influence on the world around them don't they? And if a unit goes from lvl 0 to 3 it might have happened. It could be just a little things like movement cost in forest or so. Maybe just like the leaders we could decide if we want the unit to get +5resistance in a forest or -1 movement instead of getting lvl?
When I designed this campaign I could have decided this way, but I didn't. I like RPG-elements in campaigns as much as everyone else. I'm a big fan of campaigns like "Legend of the Invincibles". But I also like classical campaigns, just as well. That why I wanted to keep the "classical" part of campaigns. I rather decided to implement RPG-fragments. Thus, leaders advance specially, but normal units don't. Thus, there are some special items hidden all around the campaign but I don't have a real inventory system. If I allowed all units to get improvements players would tend to play only with a small group of units which would be overpowered. This is not my intention for the campaign.
Also, I understand why you want such advancements, as most of the Campaign has been playing in forest, or at least heavily forested areas. But don't worry, this will change soon. Be aware that most of the next chapter will take place underground. I also plan to add humans to your recruit list and dwarves. So it won't be as forest-(and elf) heavy.
I think the Grand Meeting was too easy. I played it on average difficulty, but still it was easier than previous scenarios. I managed (with a huge help of AI side actually) to get rid of all enemy leaders. From the storytelling point of view, it would be a big thing among "bad guys" circles if the Wesmere forest was under such an attac, so maybe some reinforcements from the North? This way it would still be possible to get to the tunnels.
I begin to feel really confused about this scenario. I have received all different kinds of feedback. Recently I made it easier again (should be released soon)
Can you send me a reply of this scenario. I would gladly see your strategy for this scenario.
Can't wait for more scenerios. Cheers!
The next scenario is nearly finished. Check the add-on server for updates after next weekend, when I will hopefully have it finished.
Greetings,
Paulomat4

krzysioolek

Post by krzysioolek »

Here you go!

Of course this was a Silver Mage!
Attachments
Grand_Meeting_replay.gz
(100.96 KiB) Downloaded 393 times
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

!!!UPDATE!!!
The biggest update until now! Greatest new feature is the new scenario #9. But this version also brings various other features, so have a look at the changelog!
In scenario 8 it is now impossible to beat the big bad orc. Instead he says quite few (more or less) funny things. Each time it will be something else. Have you heard all possible things he can say? I'm also open for other stuff for him to say.

-added death dialogue for maeblie in scenario 7
-changed the egoist trait to increase the experience need by only 70%
-formatted the spawnevents for scenario 3 to use the [switch] [case] syntax
-added messages for the first selection of Fiannon and Naia, explaining their unusual advancements
-Gave the player control of allied sides
-renamed chapter 2 to: "Of stones and beards"
-balancing of scenario 8 especially for hard difficulty
-fixed smaller bugs appearing in the stderr.txt (multiple unit types with the same id, wrong linked images, wrong animation syntax, deprecated ai code, capitalized letters that shouldn't be, setting 0 as empty value instead of "", wrongly accessed variables, referring to music not existing, hitting a borderline case for wml)
-undead spawns in scenario 3 are now completely random
-switched from LOYAL_UNDEAD_UNIT to GENERIC_UNIT as both give the unit the undead trait but the latter doesn't makes them loyal
-fixed the timing of events in scenario 3
-removed bats from the spawnlist of scenario 3 as they don't fit the mood of the scenario
-victory in scenario 2 and 3 now fires directly after the last unit was killed instead of after clicking on "end turn"
-gave the naga in scenario 5 the effects of the ring too, as he is supposed to wear it (that should also give a little hint)
-proper notification when there is only 1 wave left (also change to [switch][case] syntax) for scenario 3
-fixed a bug where the unit taking the caravan for one of your leaders wasn't unstored
-balanced Oenoch to have 50 hitpoints more, which should make rushes harder
-made it impossible to attack the big bad Orc in scenario 8 (he says funny things when you try it! [anybody's welcome to submit more funny things for him to say!]))
-When you (try to) kill them in scenario 8 Bodo and Urhuga are now fleeing (again!)
-modified the Intro screens to each scenario
I just tested this again, but was not able to reproduce this one. My unit got unstored at the end of the scenario during the discussion with commander Raief. Are you sure you didn't overlook this?

I think caravan_unit was unstored. It is only in rare cases (when you kill the bandit captain with a hero like naia or Fiannon) that caravan_unit and killing_unit are different from each other
I have been able to replicate the bug, and corrected it. thx for notifying me of it.