A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: A Song of Fire: SP Campaign Feedback and Reviews

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Ok I am more than a bit gun shy on replaying this scenario so I cheated to make sure it worked. I used debug to kill all the dragons and advanced the turn to 18 then killed the Sky Dragon. I have the same 6 units as before. No troops at all.
:augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh: :augh:
The hell is happening... Though there's still one thing I haven't tried out; I'll try this, and then I'll upload the new version, probably tonight (in my country's time :-P ).
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok, if it doesn't work then I will have to copy my recall list from Sky Dragon go to my Blood of the Steppes save and add them with debug mode.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Well, I've just uploaded version 0.5.3 with yet another attempt to solve that bug, if it doesn't work, then I shall have to pay the WML Workshop another visit... :whistle:

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok, I did the same test as before and it looks like it worked! I have what looks like my entire recall list surrounding my heroes! :D

Now to replay Sky Dragon which will probably take me the rest of the weekend.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:Ok, I did the same test as before and it looks like it worked! I have what looks like my entire recall list surrounding my heroes! :D

Now to replay Sky Dragon which will probably take me the rest of the weekend.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
At long [censored] last!!! :P

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

I just cheated my way through Besieged. I tried the hunter army strategy I saw earlier but they die too fast. Most were gone by turn 5 due to L2 chariots. When you have 60% defense and they have 2 attacks well you don't last long. They only survived a hit when the chariot had been slowed. You should change the difficulty rating on the campaign to expert. It's harder than Northern Rebirth which has that rating. I am not starting over but really wish I had started on easy.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:I just cheated my way through Besieged. I tried the hunter army strategy I saw earlier but they die too fast. Most were gone by turn 5 due to L2 chariots. When you have 60% defense and they have 2 attacks well you don't last long. They only survived a hit when the chariot had been slowed. You should change the difficulty rating on the campaign to expert. It's harder than Northern Rebirth which has that rating. I am not starting over but really wish I had started on easy.
It's not that ASoF is difficult, it just that, unlike many campaigns, it forces you to sacrifice many veteran units, and consequently to train as many new veterans as possible. In Besieged, for example, I could never win without sacrificing at least three Dwarvish Lords to block the south-western leader. And blocking is the gist of that scenario: block aforesaid leader, block the enemy side in the little island by placing high-level water elementals and/or a Lava Giant on the bridge, and then charge at the two leaders you must kill. By that scenario - and the next one - you should have plenty of veterans from Part I, The Last War, so such strategy should be possible. From scenario 20 onwards, the battles won't be so harsh, so it will be easier to train new veterans (though Blood of the Steppes and Ashes of the War were good for that as well).

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

None of that changes my opinion in the slightest degree. I tried Besieged again and by turn 9 the drakes were on my back and I was running out of gold and troops. So I go on to Fires of Hope I am barely holding the line at the river my allies are doing nothing useful and they get reinforcements. Are they drakes or a swarm of ants??? This is FAR harder than Northern Rebirth and it should have been labeled as such.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:None of that changes my opinion in the slightest degree. I tried Besieged again and by turn 9 the drakes were on my back and I was running out of gold and troops. So I go on to Fires of Hope I am barely holding the line at the river my allies are doing nothing useful and they get reinforcements. Are they drakes or a swarm of ants??? This is FAR harder than Northern Rebirth and it should have been labeled as such.
Did you send water elementals to help in the water defence? They're pretty effective there, as well as Aragwaithi Spearmen, specially with Ravyan's lvl 4 leadership.
If that serves as comfort, this will be the last time you'll see drakes in this campaign ^_^

;-)
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

regnak wrote:I just cheated my way through Besieged. I tried the hunter army strategy I saw earlier but they die too fast. Most were gone by turn 5 due to L2 chariots. When you have 60% defense and they have 2 attacks well you don't last long. They only survived a hit when the chariot had been slowed. You should change the difficulty rating on the campaign to expert. It's harder than Northern Rebirth which has that rating. I am not starting over but really wish I had started on easy.
You can change the difficulty version when loading a game in the newer releases, load>pick the scenario and check change difficulty, a menu will pop up when you proceed.
regnak

Post by regnak »

revansurik wrote:
regnak wrote:None of that changes my opinion in the slightest degree. I tried Besieged again and by turn 9 the drakes were on my back and I was running out of gold and troops. So I go on to Fires of Hope I am barely holding the line at the river my allies are doing nothing useful and they get reinforcements. Are they drakes or a swarm of ants??? This is FAR harder than Northern Rebirth and it should have been labeled as such.
Did you send water elementals to help in the water defence? They're pretty effective there, as well as Aragwaithi Spearmen, specially with Ravyan's lvl 4 leadership.
If that serves as comfort, this will be the last time you'll see drakes in this campaign ^_^

Yes I had 6 of them 4 Nymphs and 2 Udines. As of turn 11 I have 2 nymphs left. To get them in the water in time I had to move to the keep by the river but since that only has 3 spaces the drakes recruit 6x as fast as I! And it is the number of drakes, it was also bad when there were so many kamikaze chariots coming at me in the Hannuk scenarios.
regnak

Post by regnak »

Crow_T wrote:
You can change the difficulty version when loading a game in the newer releases, load>pick the scenario and check change difficulty, a menu will pop up when you proceed.
I tried that before but just discovered it works when you use the gz save thanks. But I still have only 40% gold carryover after doing that. That takes the biggest help away.
regnak

Post by regnak »

I just discovered that the water elementals aquatic body no longer works. I just tested it in a Fires of Hope save although I am on the Will of the Naiad now.

Editing to add: Started Where the Sun is born and:

Only Ravyan and Tarkyn are with Myra.

The recall list is empty.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

regnak wrote:I just discovered that the water elementals aquatic body no longer works. I just tested it in a Fires of Hope save although I am on the Will of the Naiad now.

Editing to add: Started Where the Sun is born and:

Only Ravyan and Tarkyn are with Myra.

The recall list is empty.
The Aquatic Body issue is related to the War of Legends era; I thought Knightmare had solved this bug already, do you have the latest version of that era?
As for the empty recall list... (sigh) I know what caused it, it's the same reason your recall list was empty at Farewell I: at the end of Will of the Naiad, I store Myra, which caused side 1 to be leaderless at the beginning of the following scenario. Summing it up, at the start of Where the Sun is Born, it's as if side 1 had been resetted. Such issue did not happen in WEsnoth 1.11, it must be related to the 1.12 version, even though I had no such problem when I played it myself in this version... Anyway, I'll put a modified version of scenarios Will of the Naiad and Where the Sun is Born here as attachments, but you'll have to wait a few hours, as I'm in in the middle of class right now :-P

EDIT: Managed to find some time, it wasn't hard to correct the bug anyway... I've uploaded the files of scenario Will of the Naiad, just paste them in the scenarios folder, and replay the scenario (from the first part, where you're in the caves) from the start. It's an easy scenario, so I hope it won't be much of a trouble :-P
Attachments
21_The_Will_Of_The_Naiad_b.cfg
(5.93 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
21_The_Will_Of_The_Naiad.cfg
(16.17 KiB) Downloaded 220 times

;-)
regnak

Post by regnak »

Ok now that I went back to the previous WoL version things work fine with the new scenario file and I like the Will of the Naiad just fine. :D