General discussion about Era and Modification compatibility

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

pyrophorus

Re: General discussion about Era and Modification compatibil

Post by pyrophorus »

Sapient wrote:This may be a personal preference thing, but I'd rather have a choice like "More Menu items" rather than trying to manipulate a slider after a right-click. Such a choice could be added automatically when the screen is out of space to show the menu items.

I'm probably not going to code it myself, but I would approve of such a solution. ;)
I second this.
I think it would be fine to raise the limit, say to 20. Since most special menus have a show_if condition, it's very improbable they could be displayed all together. Most often, only a little subset shows.
tekelili wrote:Btw Pentarctagon remembered something worried me for years: REPEAT macro.
No idea if this could be implemented easily, but it would fine to have restricted scope variables not overriding the global, like automatic variables in many languages. Their scope could be the parent tag or at least the scenario, and they could be prefixed in some way to identify them easily.
Then the REPEAT macro problem (and other of the like) could be fixed without breaking the older versions compatibility.

Friendly,
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

i thought the wml menu item limit only applies on visible items ?
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Sapient wrote:I'm probably not going to code it myself, but I would approve of such a solution. ;)
You can stop working now, I beat you to the punch ;) it's now on master, awaiting approval.

Here's what it looks like:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I guess the next iteration would be to allow a preference so you can pick how many items appear at most, but idk how to add preferences that let you select a number, so that's on hold for now.

Commit was here: http://git.io/oaTYHg

Edit: Note that, in case of less than 7 visible items, the behavior is exactly the same as before and it doesn't add any "more / earlier" items.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

iceiceice wrote:You can stop working now, I beat you to the punch ;) it's now on master, awaiting approval.

I think it looks like like the best solution for just a small chance of "bug" (better solution than slider and far better than my idea). Good job :D
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Andrettin

Post by Andrettin »

iceiceice wrote:
Sapient wrote:I'm probably not going to code it myself, but I would approve of such a solution. ;)
You can stop working now, I beat you to the punch ;) it's now on master, awaiting approval.

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
I guess the next iteration would be to allow a preference so you can pick how many items appear at most, but idk how to add preferences that let you select a number, so that's on hold for now.

Commit was here: http://git.io/oaTYHg

Edit: Note that, in case of less than 7 visible items, the behavior is exactly the same as before and it doesn't add any "more / earlier" items.
Looks good :) I would only replace the "Earlier Items" string with "Previous Items".
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

iceiceice wrote: You can stop working now, I beat you to the punch ;) it's now on master, awaiting approval.
I can't view the images for some reason, but I looked at the code and it looks nice. Well done, and thank you.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Andrettin wrote:Looks good :) I would only replace the "Earlier Items" string with "Previous Items".
Good idea, committed here: http://git.io/8iHn0w
Sapient wrote:Well done, and thank you.
:)
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I dont know if I am asking for something impossible, but given [modification] proposes, would be nice support for include [terrain_type] inside. It would help me for a minor issue, but thinking in general... wich better tag than [modification] for use a "texture pack"?
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Just a thought: Would it be possible to show as many menu items as possible so the whole menu still fits on the screen?
So people with a large (or actually high) screen don't have to scroll unnecessarily.