Great Strife: How does/should it end?

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Re: Great Strife: How does/should it end?

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Turuk wrote:
There's a good-looking Roc that Velensk uses in his Era of the Four Moons, it could fill the gap nicely, though with some modification to attacks.
I have noticed that as well. Should I add an advancement as well? There's another Roc at Era of Magic which can also be a viable inclusion (although I have to remove the pesky goblin using GIMP).

As for stats: (unless somebody suggests something better)

ID: Roc
Name: "Roc"
HP: 30
Level: 1
Cost: 22
Alignment: neutral
MP: 8 (or maybe 9?)
XP: 50 (39 if we add an advancement to Elder Roc)
Attacks:
8-1 melee beak pierce (charge?)
9-2 ranged lightning fire (magical/enchanted?)
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord-Knightmare wrote: I have noticed that as well. Should I add an advancement as well? There's another Roc at Era of Magic which can also be a viable inclusion (although I have to remove the pesky goblin using GIMP).
I would add an advancement if there was some way to indicate a change in size; Roc -> Great Roc or something like that.
Lord-Knightmare wrote:Cost: 22
Alignment: neutral
MP: 8 (or maybe 9?)
XP: 50 (39 if we add an advancement to Elder Roc)
Attacks:
8-1 melee beak pierce (charge?)
9-2 ranged lightning fire (magical/enchanted?)
In taking other mainline units (particularly flyers) for comparison on MP, I would set it at 9 and if you do a level 2, MP at 10 for that. Almost all of the MP: 10 units are wolf/horse mounted, so I'd like to think a bird can match that. ;)

As far as the attacks... :hmm:

Charge makes sense in that a bird would dive on the attack, adding significant force, and not be able to back away quickly, which would account for the increased damage in response. Or you could change the beak to 8-2 talons, and take away the charge?

I would think that the ranged lightning would have to be magical, as it's not a normal attack for the bird, but that would make it decently powerful. I don't know what the resistances are for the Roc off-hand, but a low or even negative resistance to pierce would help with that.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

I would add an advancement if there was some way to indicate a change in size; Roc -> Great Roc or something like that.
The one in EoMa has the same Roc, but different goblin and the one in EoFM doesn't suit the color scheme of the Minotaurs.

In taking other mainline units (particularly flyers) for comparison on MP, I would set it at 9 and if you do a level 2, MP at 10 for that. Almost all of the MP: 10 units are wolf/horse mounted, so I'd like to think a bird can match that. ;)
Okay, let's keep MP at 9
As far as the attacks... :hmm:

Charge makes sense in that a bird would dive on the attack, adding significant force, and not be able to back away quickly, which would account for the increased damage in response. Or you could change the beak to 8-2 talons, and take away the charge?

I would think that the ranged lightning would have to be magical, as it's not a normal attack for the bird, but that would make it decently powerful. I don't know what the resistances are for the Roc off-hand, but a low or even negative resistance to pierce would help with that.
Talons are more preferable and enchanted (always has a 60% chance to hit: slightly weaker version of magical) ranged it is then. The resistances of the Roc should be the same as a Gryphon's (vulnerability to impact).

I shall start working on the one in EoMa and post my results later.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium