The Altaz Mariners (2p pirate RPG) now with French translation!

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Wussel

Re: The Altaz Mariners (the non-linear pirate campaign)

Post by Wussel »

Well about getting a decent ship terrain. There is the option to paint a ship covering the wanted hexfields and using it as terrain. This trick was used in this 1001 night custom made campaign ( to lands unknown?) many times. If you made nice round and straight transitions, it would be possible to use the plank floor you are using. Getting a railing would have to use castle logic. But to start maybe just painting it would do.

Here is a posting proposing a round castle type, but really is using roundish transitions. Of course you would have to use the wooden planks, not the marble floor.

http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... nd#p465051

I found the royal palace location hard to get and the Isle of Slavonia location. The dwarven bomb is only needed if you side with the undead? It only opens the lab, if you fight the necros?

UPDATE: One more bug.

If you win the battle at fort liberty (defeating all 3 generals) the move to event does not work anymore and there is no other victory condition. There is no cut scene after the final walk through the throne room. Maybe add upon boarding your ship (not possible right now)?
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Thanks again for the feedback, Wussel. I'm not sure tinkering with terrain is at the top of our priorities, but if there was something we could use 'out of the box' we'd definitely think about improving the ship terrain. However, it's mostly an abstract thing right now and making it more realistic might things like the villages seem odd and inconsistent.
Wussel wrote:UPDATE: One more bug.
If you win the battle at fort liberty (defeating all 3 generals) the move to event does not work anymore and there is no other victory condition. There is no cut scene after the final walk through the throne room. Maybe add upon boarding your ship (not possible right now)?
Do you mean that the scenario ends when you kill all enemy leaders? If so, that's a silly basic error - sorry about that. Did you have to reload and avoid killing the enemies? Could you post a replay of your game?
My current projects:
MP pirate campaign: The Altaz Mariners
RPG sequel: Return to Trent
MP stealth campaign: Den of Thieves
hart02

Post by hart02 »

Hey Bob_The_Mighty. Do You Think This Code Snippet Could Help You With The Killed Nippy Bug?

Code: Select all

[if]
[have_unit]
id=Nippy
side=1,2
[/have_unit]
[then]
{PUT_TO_RECALL_LIST id=Nippy}
[/then]
[/if]
Then You Could Have Him Recalled When You Leave The Temple Of Ice. How You Would Do That Automatically I'm Not Sure. :)
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes! It seems that a select few have a talent learning out of others mistakes which many politicians lack.
Author of Era Of Two Suns
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Bob_The_Mighty wrote:Do you mean that the scenario ends when you kill all enemy leaders? If so, that's a silly basic error - sorry about that. Did you have to reload and avoid killing the enemies? Could you post a replay of your game?
The same happens in the other branch, when sided with the outlaws. No cutscene after defeating all enemy leaders, it goes directly to the credits. (BTW this last scenario is astonishing easy and I had a tiny recall list...)
Spoiler:
Overall, nice campaign (played SP). Some refreshing new experience. Liked sneaking into the palace, didn't liked so much the long and tedious trading even with a caravel it takes forever and becomes boring soon.

Is the bank in the port north supposed to do anything (the building which looks like a temple and can only be accessed with skirmisher)? The dialogue suggests so.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Any chance you could post a replay of the final battle? It's not supposed to be so easy. Also, I'm not entirely sure what you mean about the ending cutscene/credits.
My current projects:
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

Just saw your question:
No replay anymore. The Scenario continues after you kill all 3 generals. The move to event does not work anymore. You are stuck in the scenario maybe for ever.

Terrain improvement are not really rewarding. Should be core anyway. Nobody cares sadly. They are enjoying half finished waves for years now. Ships and cartographic maps would be my top priority.

Fixing the Nippy bug is not really hard. I hacked it myself, before I went back, because I wanted to keep Nippy.
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

I've just uploaded a new version of The Altaz Mariners to the add-ons server for 1.10.

This update fixes numerous little bugs and typos and incorporates many of the suggestions made above. There's not much in the way of new content - just lots of tweaks and improvements. It should be largely bug free now. Here's the full list of what's changed in 2.2.:
Spoiler:
My current projects:
Jeffers0n

Post by Jeffers0n »

I just started this campaign again, and I found a bug: Largo's knockback special can knock people through walls. This way I killed everyone in the Royal Palace only to find out that the northernmost chamber couldn't be opened :(
Spoiler:
Edit:
Spoiler:
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Just to make sure this is not missed - someone did a translation, but a Googlemangle only. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=39658
Creight

Post by Creight »

There is currently a problem under 1.10.6 when Lugo levels up his bow skill, the +1 damage that is supposed to be applied to it goes into a new attack form, essentially creating a new 1-0 attack.

Creight
Bob_The_Mighty

Post by Bob_The_Mighty »

Creight wrote:There is currently a problem under 1.10.6 when Lugo levels up his bow skill, the +1 damage that is supposed to be applied to it goes into a new attack form, essentially creating a new 1-0 attack.

Creight
Thanks for the bug report, Creight. Does this happen every time Hugo's bow damage increases? Or only when it's maxed out? Does it keep adding new 1-0 attacks? Have you noticed it happen on any of the other mariners' attacks?
My current projects:
gnombat

Post by gnombat »

I noticed that the array indices for the attacks seem to be fixed in macros/scenario_macros.cfg (the 0, 1, 2, and 3 are array indices):

Code: Select all

{TAM_ATTACK_BONUS 0 slash 9}
	{TAM_ATTACK_BONUS 1 stab 10}
	{TAM_ATTACK_BONUS 2 quickfire 11}
	{TAM_ATTACK_BONUS 3 sureshot 12}
But when Hugo is at level 1, he has only 2 attacks: slash and quickfire - so wouldn't the array index for quickfire be wrong then?
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

TAM_Kraken isn't properly protected and creates oos with Cuttle Fish(core unit, summon of brungar) in multiplayer game.
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

So I just finished this campaign a while back Single Player.

This is the kind of campaign that I want to see more of! Very RPGish feeling. I don't particularly remember any bugs that haven't been mentioned (aside from Multiplayer Load bug). I do have some suggestions though

1. It would be really nice to get to use the cannons of the ship. As it is, the cannons are effectively just cosmetics.
2. The random encounters in the world map get kind of annoying sometimes.

- I want to propose a solution to both of this. The idea being that instead of having to have a boarding battle every time, perhaps have the option of using your cannons to fend off the enemy. Kills two birds with one turn (making the cannons useful, having a faster option to resolve random encounters)

Generally, I think the campaign is easy (a smattering of elite troops is more than enough to finish the whole campaign), although I must admit, I did die a few times (mostly due to overconfidence) XD

My suggestion further is some more "Piratey" elements- roaming merchants / royal / fellow pirates / sea monsters in the world map, treasure maps and treasure chests, piratey legends (I like the island with the witches for example) etc.

All in all really solid campaign! Waiting for the next chapter eagerly.

P.S. The bank doesn't do anything right? (I skirmished to there and it didn't give any options)
Computer_Player
Multiplayer Moderator

Post by Computer_Player »

Sorry, for the double post, but I figured, this could have it's own.

Just reminder that this isn't available at 1.12 yet :P