Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Desert environment

Post by freim »

Some time ago I got the idea of making gfx for "complete" climatic zones could be cool to expand the variation of the terrain in Wesnoth.

I have been working a while on a desert environment. The goal was to make tiles that fit well together, but not necessarily with every other tile in the game. They are more suitable for campaign/scenario/map designers that want something a bit special than for random maps and such I guess.

So far I've made:
- Desert tiles
- Desert hills tiles
- Desert mountains tiles
- Some villages (the tower is multihex)
- A few specials (mostly vegetation)
- A desert castle (just the basic shape, no details yet. The keep is just a placeholder gfx at the moment)
- Savanna tile (grass)
- Tropical forest (only a test tile yet, doesn't look very good).

I'm kind of undecided on the castle yet when it comes to coloring, towers and keep.

The perspective is different on these villages than the current ones. It was meant to match the castle, but it ended up somewhat off. Need to fix that...

Still has a lot of stuff to finish, including a gazillion transitions *sight* :)
Mkgego

Post by Mkgego »

THEYRE SOOOO COOOOL...

The houses remind me of C&C :S :D ... ^^
WoW C-Mode activated...
For the horde :D
Disto

Post by Disto »

Nice, the castle, make it more sandy so that it looks like it has had sand blown into it. Definetly keep the towers very rounded as thats what real sandy countries had (smart gits).
Creator of A Seed of Evil
Creator of the Marauders
Food or Wesnoth? I'll have Wesnoth
scott

Post by scott »

Amazing! How about a door for the keep?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Shade

Very Good

Post by Shade »

Very Good. Tropical Trees!!!!! I have need for tropical trees!!!! Yay! New Toys!!! Yay! :)
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
scott

Post by scott »

The perspective of the double-tent village is messed up a little by their positioning and relative size. It looks like the second one is on top of the first one. I don't know what to suggest to fix it... maybe shrink it or flip it on the vertical (so it faces right) and lower it behind the first one.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
freim

Post by freim »

scott wrote:Amazing! How about a door for the keep?
I plan to replace it... with something that has a door :)
scott wrote:The perspective of the double-tent village is messed up a little by their positioning and relative size. It looks like the second one is on top of the first one. I don't know what to suggest to fix it... maybe shrink it or flip it on the vertical (so it faces right) and lower it behind the first one.
Yeah, it looks a bit weird. I'll try out some different stuff.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Thank you.

Seriously, a number of people have been clamoring for this for some time. This is a major new gob of paint on our palette for making campaigns (ex: Benj's desert level in SOTBE). Beautiful work.
Shade

I'll second that

Post by Shade »

Jetryl wrote:Thank you.
I'll second that. I have need of those tropical trees in two scenarios (The tropical island ones)... Thank you very much!
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Thank you. I'd love to see these tiles included with 0.8.9. Can you post attachments with the tiles and transitions. I made placeholder artwork for a desert tent village and desert sand dunes, but these look a lot better!!!
freim

Post by freim »

quartex wrote:Thank you. I'd love to see these tiles included with 0.8.9. Can you post attachments with the tiles and transitions. I made placeholder artwork for a desert tent village and desert sand dunes, but these look a lot better!!!
I will probably start to add some of it this weekend. I just need to add some more transitions and finish things here and there first.
MadMax

Re: I'll second that

Post by MadMax »

Shade wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Thank you.
I'll second that. I have need of those tropical trees in two scenarios (The tropical island ones)... Thank you very much!
I'll second that too. I can use it too make Morogor look more like a place drakes would inhabit.

One problem: where will you get the terrain letters for all of these tiles?
"ILLEGITIMIS NON CARBORUNDUM"

Father of Flight to Freedom
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FlightToFreedom
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: I'll second that

Post by Dave »

MadMax wrote: One problem: where will you get the terrain letters for all of these tiles?
There are over 70 letters and symbols, and we don't use anywhere near all of them.

Even if we run out, we can consider resorting to using binary...

We could, of course, also consider moving to two-characters per tile, but that'd require code changes.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
pg

Post by pg »

Looks superb! Good work. :)
MRhe

Post by MRhe »

Amazing! Really well-done and these provide some excellent terrain for the erstwhile unused "desert" theme. Very, very quality work.

But yes, the tents tile looks funny...perhaps offset the top one so that it's on the side, or have two tents facing the same way. Other than that, very nice job.