Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Outsider Art for Bad Moon Rising

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm trying to come up with some units for the end of campaign Trinity. I want them to be kind of silly & creepy, not some big Balrog thing - the enemy doesn't have any respect for the player's side. But they shouldn't look like Disney characters. I think the big rodent thing needs work, but the rest seem OK, at the moment at least.
Attachments
end-units.png
end-units.png (61.32 KiB) Viewed 8906 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Some edits to the final adversary of Trinity. With the blond/gold hair, it should look more like a mix of Echidna (blonde woman monster) and Seth (gold helmet lich-like thing). I made some other minor anatomy fixes as well.
Attachments
Avatar.png (207.45 KiB) Viewed 8765 times
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
Battlecruiser_Venca

Post by Battlecruiser_Venca »

Hm, when looking at the old and new, I liked the old coloring more, especially on the accessories
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Battlecruiser_Venca wrote:Hm, when looking at the old and new, I liked the old coloring more, especially on the accessories
Well, ... the hair is a bit like a 1980's hair band wig... Slicked back would be better. Not sure I agree about the accessories though.

I'm working on some more marble terrains, got walls and a start on some villages. It looks too clean in some ways, but it is supposed to be that way, compared to the "medieval-dungeon" mainline walls (yeah, that SW-most village is based off a drake village). I'm placing these in Bad Moon Rising campaign add-on for now, but when they are finished, I will put them in Archaic Resources.
EDIT:replaced png with smaller jpg
Attachments
bmr_marble_shot.jpg
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

I'm drawing some orc sprites. Currently, there is a faction in Archaic Era called Northern Orcs, which is just an expanded version of regular orcs. The orcs are also punching bags in Bad Moon Rising campaign skirmishes, and I think there should be more variation. So, I think I may revise the era's Northern Orcs to actually be completely different from mainline orcs, or I may just make bunch of random orc units for BMR. Either way, I've gotten started. The second column is my start, they are supposed to be better at dealing with snow terrain.

The unfinished guy is maybe a bad idea. The far right are already in BMR or AE. The left-most are (obviously) mainline sprites.
Attachments
orc-northern.png
orc-northern.png (36.31 KiB) Viewed 8551 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Addressing art deficiencies in Bad Moon Rising... A portrait start for the signalman/flareman line of Ukians.
Flareman.png
And back to the new orcs (the ones in the darker region).
orc-northern.png
orc-northern.png (49.28 KiB) Viewed 8411 times
I might migrate some of those orcs to the faction in Archaic Era, but no firm plans yet. Hopefully their roles are self-explanatory.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I love your work doofus-01. Every time I lurked for scenary or items images I ended borrowing one of yours 99% of times :mrgreen:

I have a suggestion about marble2.png (and I dare to do it just because it could involve small amount of work): Roof inclination is not working very well for eye imho, I would try go for a "plain perspective" for roof and just suggest some inclination with light (after all roof shouldnt accumulate water, but a small slope should be enougth). Just my 2 cents if it helps :)
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

That goblin spearman and the shield of the arbalestier/longbowmaan are awesome!

Too bad the campaign I'm collaborating on doesn't feature orcs... :(
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Those are some sweet sprites doofus, keep up the good work
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Yes they look nice, but did you already thought about create also animation for these sprites?
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

Thanks guys. Just the ego boost I was looking for. :D
tekelili wrote: I have a suggestion about marble2.png (and I dare to do it just because it could involve small amount of work): Roof inclination is not working very well for eye imho, I would try go for a "plain perspective" for roof and just suggest some inclination with light (after all roof shouldnt accumulate water, but a small slope should be enougth). Just my 2 cents if it helps :)
It's supposed to have a similar "architecture" to mainline's scenery/temple1.png. Maybe I could move the "spine" over a little further to the SE? I don't really see the problem myself, but then I think the World Cup logo looks like a facepalm more than anything else, so my eye may not be reliable.
aquileia wrote:Too bad the campaign I'm collaborating on doesn't feature orcs... :(
Well, I do eventually plan to expand the outlaws (pursue some things hinted at in some of the BMR "shopping" scenarios and BMR Part 3 scenario Mirror Pond - basically some optional scenarios). Maybe that helps?
ChaosRider wrote:Yes they look nice, but did you already thought about create also animation for these sprites?
No, absolutely not. I put a lot of effort into those base frames, and I want the player to be dazzled by them without the distraction of animations.

And just to prevent this post from being talk-only, I'm posting early WIPs for a couple more portraits. Mistakes caught early are much less painful to deal with.
Attachments
Courrier.jpg
Courrier.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 8321 times
Celebrant.jpg
Celebrant.jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 8321 times
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

doofus-01 wrote:It's supposed to have a similar "architecture" to mainline's scenery/temple1.png. Maybe I could move the "spine" over a little further to the SE? I don't really see the problem myself, but then I think the World Cup logo looks like a facepalm more than anything else, so my eye may not be reliable.
My eye is also no the best ;) I think my issue is that my eye dont realize what exactly is the white thing on top of roof. I did a sketch with my poor abilities to show a plain roof (it would need work shadows, of course). If nobodyelse see anything wrong with marble2.png then dont worry, it is my eye problem.
plain-roof.png
plain-roof.png (8.98 KiB) Viewed 8315 times
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

tekelili wrote: I think my issue is that my eye dont realize what exactly is the white thing on top of roof
It was supposed to be the "spine" of the "A-frame" (probably not the right terms, I'm not an architect). Just think of the mainline image/scenery/temple1.png, and rotate it 100 degrees clockwise, about its vertical axis. The perspective may be a bit off, it's hard to tell once I leave the initial "wire sketch".

I've made some progress on one of the images I posted earlier. It's going into Archaic Era
celebrant.png
celebrant.png (142.38 KiB) Viewed 8205 times
FaeLord

Post by FaeLord »

Those are some really nice looking orc units. Are they available in a zip? I didn't see them up on the Archaic Era.
Wesnoth stole my summer . . . again.
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

FaeLord wrote:Those are some really nice looking orc units. Are they available in a zip? I didn't see them up on the Archaic Era.
Thanks. They don't have an advancement tree, and all the usual crap that has to go into a proper MP Faction, so they aren't in Archaic Era. They are just a bunch of random units for the AI to use in campaign Bad Moon Rising, when it is next released (hopefully within 48 hours from now).

Happy Fourth, fellow 'murkins. I don't care what the forum says, it's still 7-4 where I am.