Wesnoth 1.11.13 (1.12 beta 4)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.11.13 (1.12 beta 4)

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.11.13 (1.12 beta 4) is out!

The bug hunt continues in this new development release, which includes a vast number of fixes for issues found since the release of the previous beta, as well as other pre-existing issues. As with previous releases since 1.11.10, a feature and string freeze continues to be in effect to facilitate testing, bug fixing, and translation efforts; although this release does not include any new features for this reason, we still need your help to ensure the best possible quality for the upcoming Wesnoth 1.12.0 stable release:
  • Players should test this and later beta versions and all the various new features and units added since 1.10.x for single-player and multiplayer games.
  • Content authors should port their content to these versions and test it now to ensure first-time players of version 1.12.0 — or Wesnoth in general — have a chance to play with their favorite add-ons when the time comes.
  • Translators should work on translating mainline Wesnoth and try to aim for 100% completion before 1.12.0, which is expected to become available within a couple of months. Players with the required language skills can also help — all the instructions to contribute to the mainline translation teams are in the wiki.
Everyone willing to test this beta release should report any bugs they encounter, be they issues found during normal gameplay, or when working with WML or Lua for add-on content. Every properly-filed bug report is useful to us, no matter how trivial or obvious the issue may seem to be.

Typos in the English text of the game should also be reported in the wiki so they can be amended as soon as possible.

Here is a list of the most important changes since the last development release:
Due to changes to random number generation in this release, Wesnoth 1.11.13 is incompatible with previous versions up to and including 1.11.12. The following are some of the consequences of these changes:
  • 1.11.13 cannot be used to play MP games with players running 1.11.12 and earlier.
  • Loading saved games from 1.11.12 and previous versions will work, but any replays contained therein will not. Furthermore, any replays generated after resuming a game saved with 1.11.12 or earlier will be corrupt.
  • Using Undo/Redo with moves that were recorded in saved games from 1.11.12 and earlier will cause replay corruption and even result in OOS errors under certain circumstances.
  • Saved games marked as “Scenario start” (not turn 1) in their descriptions are unaffected by these changes.
In order to prevent RNG predictability-based cheats, all random number generation now behaves like the RNG for attacks does. For example, in multiplayer games the server will generate a new seed for every passive RNG-based action, such as trait selection or name generation on unit recruitment.

Related to this, invoking the RNG during WML events will also always disallow undoing the last move.
Several important fixes in this release have been made to multiplayer games and replays, involving both client and server-side changes:
  • The MP server now includes controller changes in the replays which are sent to observers and saved in its replay files. One consequence of this is that joining in-progress games with AI-controlled sides no longer results in corrupted controller types that would prevent players from successfully saving and reloading the game at a later point.
  • Unit advancement is no longer aborted by players leaving before choosing an advancement. Instead, the next player to gain control of their side is required to make the decision.
  • Some issues affecting sides handled by the idle controller in networked multiplayer were fixed.
  • An issue with the blindfold option implementation resulting in OOS issues was also fixed.
  • WML attack and turn end events and variations thereof (attack hits, side 4 turn end, etc.) are now MP-safe (see also bug #20871 [Gna.org]).
  • WML start and prestart events are now MP-safe, except for UI actions during prestart.
It is now impossible for non-hosts to advance to the next scenario before the host does, in order to avoid issues with players being dropped back to the lobby (see bug #21903 [Gna.org]). This fix is coupled with a change to how linger mode is handled in this situation: when the host advances to the next scenario, all other players advance too, ending linger mode if necessary.
A new fight_on_without_leader=<boolean> attribute for [side] tags was introduced in this release for the purpose of solving issues with leaderless AI sides (bug #21882 [Gna.org]).

Also, as noted above, the multiplayer and RNG fixes have resulted in some changes to existing WML behavior:
  • WML attack and turn end events and variations thereof (attack hits, side 4 turn end, etc.) are now MP-safe (see also bug #20871 [Gna.org]).
  • WML start and prestart events are now MP-safe, except for UI actions during prestart.
  • Random number generation during WML events will always make the last move non-undoable.
Some rare but serious issues affecting Micro AIs have been found and fixed in this release, including saved game corruption and AIs breaking mid-turn or after changing Micro AI settings.

The underlying implementation has also been improved to facilitate customization in UMC (even allowing add-on authors to backport functionality from future Wesnoth versions), making the code cleaner and faster in the process.
  • Petrified units are no longer included in the “damage versus” sidebar tooltips.
  • The Drake Walking Corpse/Soulless variation has been fixed so it is able to move across unwalkable terrains just as regular Drakes do (bug #21914 [Gna.org]).
  • Some sound timing issues with the Drake fire animation WML macros have been solved.
  • Jerky unit movement issues under certain conditions have been fixed (bug #21883 [Gna.org]).
  • Subframes in standing animations now cycle by default as expected (bug #21316 [Gna.org]).
The notification bell played when a game is ready to begin should work again and properly in this release. Gwren1 in the forums has offered to make us a sound to be played when an MP game begins, as well as other sound improvements, so if you are interested in this feature you might want to provide feedback in his forum thread.

Additionally, the “Disable notifications” option in PreferencesAdvanced now works correctly for platforms other than Linux/D-Bus.
The application information for Wesnoth on Apple OS X now properly marks it as being incapable of taking full advantage of the high resolutions offered by Retina displays. This should greatly improve performance when running the game on Retina devices.
There may be more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including translation updates and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant for regular players. Finally, an announcement including a list with the most notable changes between 1.10 and 1.12 will be made available along with the 1.12.0 release when it is ready.

New Contributors

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads

Source code (389.8 MB) (MD5 sum)

Xdelta from 1.11.12 (1.4 MB) (About Xdelta)

The Windows, Mac OS X, and OpenPandora packages are already available and can be found on the Download page in the wiki.

All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.11.13 is up and running. This server can be used to play with other players running 1.11.13 and later 1.11.x and 1.12.x versions, unless a future bug fix requires raising the version requirements again.

The add-ons server for 1.12.x is already running. It was started for 1.11.10 and it will serve all future beta and RC releases from this series, as well as all releases in the stable 1.12.x series. If you encounter any problems involving add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Zolm

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.13 (1.12 beta 4)

Post by Zolm »

I noticed the same behavior on this one than previous verson. On 11.5 I could hold shift and select/move units with accelerate speed without having to toggle the option on, but on 11.12, and now on this one, holdng shift blocks me from even select units with left click, let alone move them.

I didn't get an answer on 11.12 thread about this; was it a change due something else, or nobody noticed because it isn't much used? This change is permanent?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Is anybody else having the problem that when you tell a unit to attack another from a distance, they move executes but the attack action gets canceled so you have to attack again?
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Yes. It was reported here https://gna.org/bugs/?21961
and discussed on irc today (see Duthlet and gfgtdf, 21:52). http://www.wesnoth.org/irclogs/2014/04/ ... -04-23.log
I think it is fixed now on master at least, not sure though, I certainly didnt test. https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... de6bd440f4
Idk why this doesn't appear to be on 1.12 yet or why the bug tracker wasn't updated.
Edit: Or why there doesn't appear to be a changelog entry.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

That one might be worthy of releasing a new version fairly quickly. I just finished a couple multiplayer games and it was getting to be pretty painful even though I was getting used to it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

iceiceice wrote:Yes. It was reported here https://gna.org/bugs/?21961
and discussed on irc today (see Duthlet and gfgtdf, 21:52). http://www.wesnoth.org/irclogs/2014/04/ ... -04-23.log
I think it is fixed now on master at least, not sure though, I certainly didnt test. https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/comm ... de6bd440f4
Idk why this doesn't appear to be on 1.12 yet or why the bug tracker wasn't updated.
Edit: Or why there doesn't appear to be a changelog entry.
i wanted to update the bugtracker/changelog entry as soon as i put in on 1.12.
and i don't wan't to put it on 1.12 before i tested it.

EDIT: ok i committed that patch to 1.12 too.
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

Zolm wrote:I noticed the same behavior on this one than previous verson. On 11.5 I could hold shift and select/move units with accelerate speed without having to toggle the option on, but on 11.12, and now on this one, holdng shift blocks me from even select units with left click, let alone move them.

I didn't get an answer on 11.12 thread about this; was it a change due something else, or nobody noticed because it isn't much used? This change is permanent?
The attack, move, select, and deselect keys can now be set in preferences->general->hotkeys->game
Assuming you have what I believe is the default setting: Select/Move/Attack Mouse0Button1
you can select there add hotkey and then hold down shift and left click.

I hope it works for you, I just played around with this hotkey for fun and ended up with wesnoth spamming the preference file with "null" commands :?

Considering this is the behavior of the current stable release, maybe this should be the default setting.
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

Duthlet wrote:
Zolm wrote:I noticed the same behavior on this one than previous verson. On 11.5 I could hold shift and select/move units with accelerate speed without having to toggle the option on, but on 11.12, and now on this one, holdng shift blocks me from even select units with left click, let alone move them.

The attack, move, select, and deselect keys can now be set in preferences->general->hotkeys->game
Assuming you have what I believe is the default setting: Select/Move/Attack Mouse0Button1
you can select there add hotkey and then hold down shift and left click.

I hope it works for you, I just played around with this hotkey for fun and ended up with wesnoth spamming the preference file with "null" commands :?

Considering this is the behavior of the current stable release, maybe this should be the default setting.
Thanks guy, this solved the question.

Weird how shift still retains the acceleration feature but now I have to bind it to a command to work.

Thanks again.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Velensk wrote:Is anybody else having the problem that when you tell a unit to attack another from a distance, they move executes but the attack action gets canceled so you have to attack again?
Yes. That is really painful. I downgraded to 1.11.12 in order to playtest my campaign.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

happens to me too. I only upgraded from 1.11.12 to be able to connect to the official multiplayer server, and now I can't really play. please provide a fix soon.
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I believe it has been fixed and will be in 1.11.14.
Zolm

Post by Zolm »

I believe the link provided by iceiceice (https://gna.org/bugs/?21961) has a fix to the attack issue.
Those who don't want to wait until next release could get the source, open file /src/actions/move.cpp and switch line 1259 from

Code: Select all

bool r =  (rest of code)
to

Code: Select all

size_t r = (rest of code)
Then save and build it.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

In the case of multplayer campaings with randomly maps generated, the new load map menu is a cleary worse for user than in 1.10 version, imho.

In 1.10 user could host such campaigns from the menu where he had mainline maps and also other add ons. Only first scenario of campaign was showed in menu.

In 1.11.13 user need enter in a non intiutive menu for a campaign ("random maps"). All maps of campaign are showed in menu (wich has no sense) and even more, point with mouse one of the non start scenarios will give this error message: "Mandatory WML child missing yet untested for. Please report"

EDIT: Btw, I just remembered that in Tutorial, scenario 2, slowing orcish grunt with a shaman on turn2 still has grunt moving 5 hexes on his turn. May be a little sexist teach players to not trust in girls skills? :P
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Um, Why is everything so blue?

I'm using a Mac running Mac OS X 10.9.3
I will now resume lurking silently.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I don't have this blue problem with Linux, so it might be Mac-specific. It's weird though.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide