The Blind Sentinel - [Feedback and development topic]

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GodlyDragon

Re: The Blind Sentinel [Feedback and development topic]

Post by GodlyDragon »

Nice campaign, but there is someting i don t understand, in the 3th scenario, Vormund is promoted to Captain but he don t have the upgrades of a Captain (same thing for Gildred). They would need it since the enemies are stronger than normal units. I really like the promote and demote system by the way.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

You cannot promote or demote Vormund=yourself, I though that would be obvious :D
The original plan was to have General as the highest rank, and you cannot demote Gildred because he is higher than you. This wasn't created well/clearly, so the system will be re-organised a bit in one of the next updates. That will probably also solve questions like, why can a Captain promote a soldier to Vassal Lord?

Best regards,
WhiteWolf
Main UMC campaigns: The Ravagers - now for 1.16, with new bugs!
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
chip56

Post by chip56 »

Now I get a crash because the unit dueler is missing instead of the spearman in "sword of justice" :(

Oh and I think what godly meant is that vormund is a "vanilla" unit without any boni from those cool promotions. So a level 4 "Captain" Vormund has the same attack/ hitpoints as a standard level 4 unit. Even though he would have gained a bonus to HP/ melee attack from the promotions up to captain.
nathanson1947

Post by nathanson1947 »

I have been on the scenario "The desert of death" at the easy level, but have been unable to find the northwestern edge of the desert and end the scenario. Even placing a unit on the northwest corner does not end in success.
Eru_Iluvatar

Post by Eru_Iluvatar »

I was loving the campaign, but on Scenario 26, Enemy at the Gates, my entire recall list was deleted, every unit except Vormund is gone, and he was back to being a Lieutenant. Ive tried various things with :debug, but they won't work; still everyone gets deleted. I am playing on Wesnoth 1.10.7.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sorry for being this late - finals are coming up.

A save_id was missing, repair-patch 1.1.7 uploaded, bug fixed :)
Old UMC works: The Underness Series, consisting of 5 parts: The Desolation of Karlag, The Blind Sentinel, The Stone of the North, The Invasion Of The Western Cavalry, Fingerbone of Destiny
dipseydoodle

Post by dipseydoodle »

Hello, WhiteWolf!

Firstly, I think your new to the forum, so welcome! Anyway, I just sat down and played a bit of TBS. I couldn't beat the first scenario :P It was just to hard being cornered into that little space with guys comming at you from all around, but that's how you make a fun scenario :)

With that said, I want to say thank you for all the special code that you've included. I've been looking for things like this myself for my own upcoming UMC, and I think the unit speach thing is brilliant.

I hope all goes well, thanks.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hi,

Thanks for writing :) The first scenario is very easy to win, you only have to make your way till the small fortress where you can recruit. There you should recruit some Cavalrymen, and then you only have to defend your position until one of your cavalrymen reach the end of the forest quickly.

But if you encounter any bug or unclear event, please, please pm me, because then I get an e-mail notification and can deal with it much earlier, because I am unfortunately a very rarerly here in these forums.

Regards,
WhiteWolf
johnhl

Post by johnhl »

Hi White Wolf,
and congratulations for the nice work you've done so far.
I currently play scenario 28 (The sword of justice) and just before the start of my enemies recruiting in 1st round, it pops out the following error message:
{Error due to possibly invalid WML occured.
Unknown unit type: Dueler while scoring units,
Condition 'enemy_info' failed at src\ai\default\ai.cpp:416 in function 'get_combat_score_vs'.}
I have BFW 1.10.6 version and I originally started to play 1.1.6 version of your campaign. I had the mentioned bug in scenario 26, but I continued and reached 28 and had this error.
After that, I upgraded your campaign to 1.1.7 and started over from scenario 23. The bug in scenario 26 was fixed, but at scenario 28 I had exactly the same error.
I would appreciate your help.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Sorry, I couldn't find the time for it today, but I'll do it definitely tomorrow.
tbaker

Post by tbaker »

I'm using the development version 1.11.12 and have the following error from the very beginning when I try to start the campaign.

The following add-on had errors and could not be loaded:
The Blind Sentinel

Please report this to the author or maintainer of this add-on.

Details:

Found filename containing whitespace: 'Elit Halberdier.cfg' in included directory 'C:/Documents and Settings/The Taylors/My Documents/My Games/Wesnoth1.11/data/add-ons/The_Blind_Sentinel/units/elves/'.
The included symbol probably looks similar to '/add-ons/The_Blind_Sentinel/units/elves/'
at ~add-ons/The_Blind_Sentinel/_main.cfg:-1
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

I am sorry, but The Blind Sentinel is not available for Battle For Wesnoth testing versions. I am not aware of the full list of changes made to the wml coding in the 1.11 branch, but probably one of these changes cause the incompatibility. Sorry, I cannot do anything about that :( You must return to the 1.10 branch if you wish to play.

The next update&repair patch will come on Saturday due to internet problems. If you would like, you can manually repair the code: Open the_sword_of_justice.cfg and using "Find & Replace", edit all 'Dueler's to 'Duelist'. If I remember correctly, there are 2 wrong codes. Otherwise you must wait until Saturday.

Thanks for your patience,
WhiteWolf
johnhl

Post by johnhl »

Thank you very much. I made the changes to the file and there was no error any more.
Keep up the good work
johnhl

Post by johnhl »

Hi again WhiteWolf,

last time I forgot to mention that apart from the error, I couldn't also load any save or autosave, only from this scenario (28) . I assumed that had to do smth with the error.
But unfortunately, after the changes, still whenever try to load a save game, pops up again the same message that the file is corrupted.
WhiteWolf
Forum Moderator

Post by WhiteWolf »

Hmm...try downloading the 1.1.8beta, now it is updated. I hope it solves this case, if not, indicate please, but currently I haven't the faintest idea for the saved game issue :hmm: