Introduce yourself here!

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

libervurto

Re: Introduce yourself here!

Post by libervurto »

Hello there,

Apparently I made an account a while ago but I don't think I posted anything.
I am a hobby coder, writer and musician. I would love to get involved in developing for Wesnoth, I want to start by helping out on a few campaigns so I can get to know the community and get to grips with all parts of Wesnoth before getting into the code.

If you are making a campaign and would like help with writing, map-making or anything else then send me a message.

Thanks.
pursisegitcet

Hello!

Post by pursisegitcet »

Hello! My friends!
kjzsbtby

Post by kjzsbtby »

OMG, I remember this game from long ago... And I lost it in the time, recently I remembered, and I took like a whole day to find it, with google looking for "RPG tactic game" and tons of stuff I remembered. Im so glad this game still running and all. Im happy to play this awsome game again.
Deki

Post by Deki »

kjzsbtby wrote:OMG, I remember this game from long ago... And I lost it in the time, recently I remembered, and I took like a whole day to find it, with google looking for "RPG tactic game" and tons of stuff I remembered. Im so glad this game still running and all. Im happy to play this awsome game again.
Do not go away this time ^_^
KShrike

Post by KShrike »

Oh... would you look at that.
2 years later, I'm back.
This game is that unforgettable...
*makes another attempt to find places to be active in the forums*
I actually don't like cavalry... isn't that ironic.
JBristol99

Post by JBristol99 »

Hi there,

I discovered Wesnoth belatedly back in November last year, and I've been playing it almost daily ever since! It's a pleasure to find a game that's infinitely adaptable, easy to play but also a challenge, stable and well made. I primarily play single scenario games using maps I design myself - endless opportunities for exploration and tinkering. I plan to branch out into campaign design at some point in the future...

My main reason for posting here is that I wanted to say a big, big thank you to everyone who's been involved in developing the game and keeping it up to date. Of the many games I've played over the years, this is the best as far as I'm concerned. I've tried so many expensive, disappointing strategy/war games - buggy, limited, poor AI, poor documentation etc etc. Wesnoth on the other hand is a real breath of fresh air, and has got me back into pc gaming at a point where I was just about ready to give up. Thank you so much!!!

May Wesnoth live for ever!

Best wishes,
Jay (Bristol UK).
flydude112282

Post by flydude112282 »

What's up guys, I am a real rpg fanatic and I was looking for new games to play, I had just finished The Banner Saga and realized I still had a craving for more strategy rpgs. I was reading a thread on The Banner Saga when someone told me to check out Battle for Wesnoth so I come here and WOW...I can't believe that this diamond has been around so long and I didn't know about it! It takes me right back to the days of Orge Battle and when I first played Fire Emblem. Hats off everyone who has been working on the game...anyway I had one question as a noob, what version of the game should I start with? The experimental 1.11.8 or the older stable version 1.10.7?
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I'd suggest 1.10.7 aside from some things shifting around uncertainly in the dev version you'll also find a lot healthier multiplayer for the stable.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
moopli

Re: Some call me ... Tim?

Post by moopli »

Some call me moopli. Others call me Felippe. I'm not sure why, my name isn't Felippe, but a very particular few do.

Anyway, I've been playing Wesnoth sporadically for a few years, and I've dabbled with WML, making units, scenarios, etc. I've recently started studying the source code -- what with my first coop term coming up, I'll have loads of time to start coding. In the end however, the forum sucked me in because I want to learn to sprite.

Welp, that's me, more or less :D
Stabs

Post by Stabs »

Hiyas! Stabs here!

I found Wesnoth on a borrowed hard drive a few years ago. A month ago, I got a hankering for more, looked it up, and was really pleased to know there was an entire forum devoted to it, as well as a developer base that's still active. Can't wait to try all the new campaigns, and log all the bugs I find!
wesnothi1

Post by wesnothi1 »

Hi all,

I've been playing Battle for Wesnoth occasionally for around a year now. I'm currently aiming to finish all the Mainline campaigns and I hope to contribute to this awesome game in whatever way I can in the future.

See you around!
Kado

Post by Kado »

Hello there!

I discovered Battle for Wesnoth just a few days ago and I already regret that I haven´t learned about it sooner. I have been playing turn-based strategy games for a long time and I spent a lot of money for games like Civilization V. And don´t get me wrong, Civilization is a good game and it is worth every euro. But then, there is such an awesome game as BfW and it is completely free. It has very simple rules and still a lot of depth. And even though you can´t pay professional artist, the game looks in my opinion very nice. Anyway, I have already uninstalled my old games and I don´t play anything but BfW. And I realy want to say: Thank you very much and keep up the amazing work!

Best wishes

Kado
StnkyFingers

Post by StnkyFingers »

Hi! You can call me stinky or stnky. I used to have an account here under mrpunch0000 and even contributed some free art here (for what it's worth) But my comp went on the fritz a few years ago, and I forgot everything. I have access to a new computer semi-regularly now, AND I plan on focusing more on art in the future. :mrgreen:
21Racr

Post by 21Racr »

Good Evening! Obviously, I'm new here, so hello, all! I was bored one day, so I decided to make my own campaign! I now have five working scenarios (the campaign is still a work in progress, but it can be played - the storyline just randomly stops), and I have no idea what to do with it, so I thought I'd poke my head in here!

Things to do:
1) Find an artist willing to help out. My art is bad. Really bad.

2) Find some of you who want to be BETA testers! I don't presume to be even remotely a good tester, so having other people play my campaign should help to figure out if there are any balance issues, and maybe figure out what difficulty level I should place this at!

I've only spent a few hours learning WML, so I'm surprised I've been able to have working (mostly. For some reason, I can't get the music to play all the time) scenarios. I'm going to refrain from asking for coding help, though. I'm sure there are many, many people out there who are better than WML than me, but I took this up for the challenge, and I want to see what I can do.

Thank you!

P.S. I have no clue how to share my campaign with anyone, so hints would be. . . much appreciated.
Watch out for Ferrets!

Proud author of the Beyond Blood campaign!
Ceres
Forum Regular

Post by Ceres »

Welcome! To upload your campaign to the add-on server, you need to create a file called _server.pbl (as explained here). After that, there'll be an option to upload the campaign at the same place where you can download add-ons (usually at the bottom of the add-on list). Once you got that done, there's usually no shortage in people willing to play/test it. Polished art like custom sprites/portraits and stuff are usually of rather low priority at the beginning of the development phase of a campaign, just use mainline art/placeholders/art of other user-made content (after asking the maintainer of said UMC for permission). Once your campaign's gameplay/story is worked out, artists easier become interested and willing to contribute.

Also, if there's a WML problem you're really stuck on, feel free to ask over at the WML workshop!