Wesnoth 1.11.12 (1.12 beta 3)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.11.12 (1.12 beta 3)

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.11.12 (1.12 beta 3) is out!

This twelfth development release of the 1.11.x series once again delivers an assortment of bug fixes and improvements in various areas, as well as translation updates, as should be expected from this third beta for the upcoming stable release, Wesnoth 1.12.0. And as it is also expected from a beta, a feature and string freeze is in effect to facilitate testing, bug fixing, and translating, which means that there are no additional features that weren’t already present in previous development releases.

But this lack of groundbreaking activity should not discourage you! Although it has only been three weeks since the previous release, included below is a little memory refresher on how you can help us ensure things will be in good shape by the point Wesnoth 1.12.0 is released:
  • Players should test this and later beta versions and all the various new features and units added since 1.10.x for single-player and multiplayer games.
  • Content authors should port their content to these versions and test it now to ensure first-time players of version 1.12.0 — or Wesnoth in general — have a chance to play with their favorite add-ons when the time comes.
  • Translators should work on translating mainline Wesnoth and try to aim for 100% completion before 1.12.0, which is expected to become available within a couple of months. Players with the required language skills can also help — all the instructions to contribute to the mainline translation teams are in the wiki.
Everyone willing to test this beta release should report any bugs they encounter, be they issues found during normal gameplay, or when working with WML or Lua for add-on content. Every properly-filed bug report is useful to us, no matter how trivial or obvious the issue may seem to be.

Typos in the English text of the game should also be reported in the wiki so they can be amended as soon as possible.

Here is a list of the most important changes since the last development release:
Because of the unit balancing changes and the MP/replay engine fixes found in this version, Wesnoth 1.11.12 is not compatible with versions 1.11.10 and 1.11.11 for multiplayer gameplay over the network. As a consequence, the official MP server now only accepts clients using version 1.11.12 and later instead of 1.11.10 and later.
The experience requirements for the Rami and Saree were increased from 32 and 56 to 39 and 64, respectively. In addition to this, the sound timings of the melee attacks of various Khalifate units were adjusted.
Several bugs affecting reloaded multiplayer games were fixed in this release:
  • “Mandatory WML child missing” error when leaving a reloaded game (#21797 [Gna.org])
  • Cannot join reloaded games as observer (#21808 [Gna.org])
  • AI sides showing up as human-controlled on remote clients (#18829 [Gna.org])
    As a side-effect, the ‘human_ai’ side controller type has been dropped.
An issue resulting in AI configuration becoming immutable after loading from a mid-scenario save has been fixed for this release (bug #21750 [Gna.org]). In particular, this directly affected scenarios making use of the Micro AIs feature.

Also included in this release are fixes for crash issues affecting the Messenger and Patrol Micro AIs during attacks.
The scenarios “Invaders”, “Mages and Drakes”, and “Fear” received some tweaks for improved gameplay balance in this version.
The number of channels allocated for sound mixing was increased from 16 to 32, thus allowing up to 21 gameplay sound effects (as in [sound] WML tags and unit animations) to play simultaneously, as opposed to the previous maximum of 5.
A long-standing bug causing visual glitches (particularly on mouse-over) after placing shroud on locations to which halos were assigned (using the [item] tag) has been fixed in this release.
An issue with the ~CROP() image path function resulting in segmentation faults has been fixed in this release (see bug #20876 [Gna.org]). Additionally, the implementation of the ~BG() function was amended to solve an issue where the function had no effect on cached images at times.
The configuration and user data directory on the Apple OS X platform has changed to ~/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.12 (Wesnoth_1.11 was used for previous development versions). As a result, players will need to manually copy, move, or link their preferences, saved games, and add-ons from the previous location.

Other platforms are not affected by this change. In particular, the default location for user data files on X11 (Linux, FreeBSD, etc.) will not change before version 1.12.0.
There may be more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including translation updates and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant for regular players. Finally, an announcement including a list with the most notable changes between 1.10 and 1.12 will be made available along with the 1.12.0 release when it is ready.

New Contributors

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth? You are always free to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads

Source code (389.8 MB) (MD5 sum)

Xdelta from 1.11.11 (2.0 MB) (About Xdelta)

The Windows, Mac OS X, and OpenPandora packages are already available and can be found on the Download page in the wiki.

All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.11.12 is up and running. This server can be used to play with other players running 1.11.12 and later 1.11.x and 1.12.x versions, unless a future bug fix requires raising the version requirements again.

The add-ons server for 1.12.x is already running. It was started for 1.11.10 and it will serve all future beta and RC releases from this series, as well as all releases in the stable 1.12.x series. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.12 (1.12 beta 3)

Post by Velensk »

I'll be on the server in a short amount of time and be available to test any bugs/ect that might be a problem (blindfold mode for example)
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Luther

Post by Luther »

Alert to git users: I've just discovered that the name of the wesnoth repository has changed. As far as I can tell, the 1.11.12 tag does not appear in 'wesnoth-old', while, according to Github, it does appear in 'wesnoth'.

I'll go clone the new repo now, even though there's probably better ways to fix it...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There is no need to panic — there is a far better way.

Since Gna.org’s mailing list software likes to censor things that don’t need to be censored, here is my email to the developers mailing list on February 27 in its entirety for your convenience:
I wrote:
On Sunday 23 February 2014 10:38:56 Nils Kneuper wrote: Honestly I don't think anyone will actually work on fixing the "issues". So
it makes sense to rename the repository to "wesnoth" and say "yeah, we are
done, it is good enough".

Thanks shadowmaster for taking this one over from esr. I agree that it is
time to declare the task as done and move on to more important
battlefields.
Since nobody spoke against this during these last three days, I have gone
ahead and renamed the 'wesnoth-old' repository to just 'wesnoth' [1].

GitHub will continue to handle requests on the old repository URL [2] for as
long as we don't create a new 'wesnoth-old' repository or rename a repository
to 'wesnoth-old', so this should not be a disruptive change for most people.
However, I would still advise that everyone runs the following command to
update their Git repository configuration accordingly:

Code: Select all

git remote set-url origin git@github.com:wesnoth/wesnoth.git
Or, for those using https:

Code: Select all

git remote set-url origin https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth.git
Replace 'origin' in these commands with whatever the name of your upstream
remote is in your clone's configuration. Apparently, people who forked the
repository following GitHub documentation and cloned from their fork first
will often use 'upstream' as the upstream (our upstream) repository's remote
name.

I have updated WesnothRepository on wiki.w.o [3] accordingly.
In related news, Ivanovic pushed a plain tag to the repository this Saturday
when tagging 1.11.10, against the convention of using a real annotated tag. In
order to save everyone from the trouble of having to deal with (arguably
minor) object conflicts, I have kept the plain tag and created a new annotated
tag '1.11.10-retag' pointing to the same ref. The plain tag's author
information points to me, though; hopefully this won't inconvenience anybody.

--
Regards
Of course, afterwards you should fetch/pull (not clone) from the repository as usual. Also note that GitHub redirects most requests dealing with the old name to the new name, so if you don’t fetch/pull the tags first, they won’t appear for you regardless of the repository URL you use.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

Bugs:
  • Typo in Encyclopedia in Northlands description:
    • Arkan-thoria: The river than comes out of Lake Vrug. This is the elvish name; among humans it is called Longlier.
      Should be:
      Arkan-thoria: The river that comes out of Lake Vrug. This is the elvish name; among humans it is called Longlier.
    Drake corpse variation don't fly. This may result in spawning a useless unit that is unable to move with null defense. Either allow it to fly or make impossible to spawn them on inaccessible terrain for the variation. (First reported on 1.10.1)
Curtis

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.12 (1.12 beta 3 — lost saved games

Post by Curtis »

For the first time I can remember, when I updated Wesnoth recently (from 1.11.10 to 1.11.12), my preferences and saved games were deleted. I was about halfway through "The Scepter of Fire", and felt I was doing rather well, so this has been an inconvenience to me, though hardly a disaster.

Secondarily, with the change to 1.11.12 an old bug has crept back in. When you're on the main menu page, there is now about a 3-5 second lag between when something is clicked on and when it responds. This had shown up early in the 1.11.x tree, but disappeared around 1.11.6.

If there is a better place to post these, please feel free to move this there.
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Curtis wrote:For the first time I can remember, when I updated Wesnoth recently (from 1.11.10 to 1.11.12), my preferences and saved games were deleted. I was about halfway through "The Scepter of Fire", and felt I was doing rather well, so this has been an inconvenience to me, though hardly a disaster.
Are you, by any chance, using OS X? If so, check out the last item in shadowm's original post of this thread about the directory paths having been changed. So if that's the case, your preferences and saved games were not deleted, they are just in a different directory than what 1.11.12 accesses now. You can safely copy them over.

And yes, it was "a bit" premature to do this and I am to blame for that. :(
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Wesbane wrote: Drake corpse variation don't fly. This may result in spawning a useless unit that is unable to move with null defense. Either allow it to fly or make impossible to spawn them on inaccessible terrain for the variation. (First reported on 1.10.1)
I tried to reproduce this. I created a walking corpse from a glider over lava on Den of Onis, and while it had zero defense on the lava, it was able to move off onto the adjacent land the next turn. Since walking corpses (and necromancers) cannot themselves move onto chasm or lava as you say, it will always be the case that whenever a unit is created by plague it has a passable hex next to it where it may potentially move, in any map, even UMC, with default era units.

If you really are finding that the units are unable to move at all, that sounds like an engine bug and should be reported at bugs.wesnoth.org, however in greater detail than you reported here since I failed to reproduce. A replay would be great.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

iceiceice wrote:[...] it will always be the case that whenever a unit is created by plague it has a passable hex next to it where it may potentially move, in any map, even UMC, with default era units.
This is not true because walking corpses are not unified in their capabilities. They preserve to some degree abilities of living creatures they were created from. Corpse variations.

Here is the case test scenario.
The attachment Drake_Corpse.zip is no longer available
In case you don't have time to investigate. Below is detailed description of a problem.
Adventures of Bug'o'mancer and his apprentice:
Curtis

Post by Curtis »

mattsc wrote:
Curtis wrote:For the first time I can remember, when I updated Wesnoth recently (from 1.11.10 to 1.11.12), my preferences and saved games were deleted. I was about halfway through "The Scepter of Fire", and felt I was doing rather well, so this has been an inconvenience to me, though hardly a disaster.
Are you, by any chance, using OS X? If so, check out the last item in shadowm's original post of this thread about the directory paths having been changed. So if that's the case, your preferences and saved games were not deleted, they are just in a different directory than what 1.11.12 accesses now. You can safely copy them over.

And yes, it was "a bit" premature to do this and I am to blame for that. :(
"The configuration and user data directory on the Apple OS X platform has changed to ~/Library/Application Support/Wesnoth_1.12 (Wesnoth_1.11 was used for previous development versions). As a result, players will need to manually copy, move, or link their preferences, saved games, and add-ons from the previous location."

Thank you for pointing that out, but it doesn't look like what I have. (Yes, I am using OS X.) I have no folders labelled any kind of Wesnoth in Library/Application Support/
mattsc
Inactive Developer

Post by mattsc »

Curtis wrote:Thank you for pointing that out, but it doesn't look like what I have. (Yes, I am using OS X.) I have no folders labelled any kind of Wesnoth in Library/Application Support/
Are you sure that you are looking in your home directory? ~/Library/Application Support/ not /Library/Application Support/ ? If you are using Finder, the Library directory in your home directory might be hidden (depending on the version of OS X), but you can get there by pressing command-shift-g and typing in the path. Or by getting there in a terminal window.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Wesbane wrote: Here is the case test scenario.
Right, I stand corrected. (Very nice presentation by the way :) )

At the same time though, this is really only a very niche possibility. Generally in default era, it is imbalanced to have any unwalkable and inaccessible hexes like this, esp. because a drake flare leader could hide there for example. I guess that it's up to the MP devs to decide if its important enough / what is the right way to fix it.

Btw, a third way to fix it, which you don't mention, is that bat corpses could be forbidden to fly over unwalkable. I only mention because I think it would have less impact on UD vs UD than either of your proposed fixes would have on Drake vs UD.

Edit: FWIW, it is rather strange that the Gryphon corpses can fly on unwalkable and Drake corpses cannot.
Wesbane wrote: I don't know anything about bugs.wesnoth.org or those other bizarre stuff of yours.
Well that's too bad, that's probably why had to come back to re-report a bug you first reported two years ago :| Bugs not reported on bugs.wesnoth.org are likely to be forgotten.
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

iceiceice wrote:At the same time though, this is really only a very niche possibility.
Yes, but it is possible. And when it happens it looks bad. Also that make some scenario designs undesirable in campaigns. Last but not least is that this is only situation when newly spawned unit can appear on inaccessible terrain. (Not created from scenario level.)

Words about bugs reports actually are Bug'o'mancer ones. And as you wrote the only advantage of submitting bugs to bugs.wesnoth.org is that they will be pinned on that page until someone don't decide what to do with it.
Anyway it seemed that developers are more focused on game engine. What isn't a bad thing since all other bugs are much easier to fix or ignore.
iceiceice wrote:Very nice presentation by the way
Wesnoth is a good tool. It wasn't difficult to make.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Wesbane wrote: Words about bugs reports actually are Bug'o'mancer ones.
Ah so you are a ventriloquist now? "I didn't say it, my puppet did!" :lol:
Wesbane

Post by Wesbane »

No. This is a living, real word. Seriously, there is even a book about it. :mrgreen: