Wanted help moving windows saves to linux

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Triglo

Wanted help moving windows saves to linux

Post by Triglo »

Hello,

I just changed over to linux mint on my computer from windows XP.

I don't understand how program files are organized after looking around at the file system. Can anyone offer me some tips on how I can or even if I can use my old windows userdata files with my newly installed Linux version of Wesnoth?

Thanks!
Dugi

Re: Wanted help moving windows saves to linux

Post by Dugi »

Read here where to find the userdata directory. Inside the userdata folder, there should be a folder named saves. Then just copy the ones from Windows into the folder on Linux, they're platform independent.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Be aware though that - if you update to a new major version - some of your saves might no longer work: If the campaign underwent changes, these can cause older saves to be incompatible.

Start of scenario saves are less likely to break, so try these just in case your mid-scenario saves don't load correctly.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

Dugi wrote:they're platform independent.
Emphasis on that.
Wesnoth saves (and also all other wml, lua and preferences) transfer perfectly between OSes, unlike many other programs.
You could even use the same userdata directory in a windows dual boot installation via the --userdata command line switch like me.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Triglo

Post by Triglo »

Thanks for the info.

When I tried the suggestion to look it up on terminal I figured out why I couldn't find it-- .local was a hidden folder.

But loading saves worked! Pretty nifty.

I'm able to download the add-ons without too much trouble, so I'll think I won't worry about trying to make the windows versions work.

Thanks again!
JaMiT
Inactive Developer

Post by JaMiT »

Triglo wrote:When I tried the suggestion to look it up on terminal I figured out why I couldn't find it-- .local was a hidden folder.
Linux doesn't use the same concept of "hidden" as Windows. On Linux, "hidden" is synonymous with "the name starts with a period". (So once you get used to Linux, you'll be able to tell .local is hidden before you start looking for it.)