Idea about campaign for the wolves

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elven

Idea about campaign for the wolves

Post by Elven »

Hi guys,

here is an idea, or a story i was thinking about. It is not a campaign (I dont have much time right now), but I will be very happy, if you say something about it.

After the events of the campaign "Orcish Incursion", lord Erlornas returned his armies home. There was no war with the orcs for twenty years. After such time, another orcish tribes has showed themselves, and Erlornas did again used his skilled warriors. Two groups, each with 15 members, were sent as scouting parties.

One of the parties have a shaman, that have a very strange pet. Long time ago, she met a drake and the drake chooses to stay with her. That becomes a problem, because an evil witch transformed all elves from that group to wolves. Everyone, except a shaman, who was immune to such a spell, because of the protective energy of the drake.

Cursed, the elves (now in the form of the wolves) started to panic, they didnt know what to do. First, they wished to fight the orcs, but the orcs was so many and they were forced to run away, chased with wolf riders. After that, they found a cave and for some time, they wished to live like animals, because they didnt know about a way to become elves again.

Later, with a little luck, they found a key to both find that witch and also get what she desires (some sort of an amulet or something). So, time to get after her.

Interesting things:
- shaman and 14 wolves, and a drake
- no recruiting new guys, only recalling
- mostly caravan-like scenarios
- lots of humour and philosophic speeches
- about 6 maps, also some playing for the drakes fraction
- not saying that there will be a happyend

So... what do u think about it?
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
Heindal

Re: Idea about campaign for the wolves

Post by Heindal »

The idea is ok, but you should search for allies. Also it is hard to make (international) funny dialogues - but there are campaigns that work that way.
You should definitely look into different kind of wolf types, as just 12 wolves are a little bit odd to handle.
The future belongs to those, who believe in the beauty of their dreams.
Developer of: Trapped, Five Fates, Strange Legacy, Epical, UR Epic Era
Dungeonmasters of Wesnoth, Wild Peasants vs Devouring Corpses, Dwarf Dwarfson Dwarvenminer
Elven

Post by Elven »

Heindal wrote:The idea is ok, but you should search for allies. Also it is hard to make (international) funny dialogues - but there are campaigns that work that way.
You should definitely look into different kind of wolf types, as just 12 wolves are a little bit odd to handle.
of course, there are 3 types of wolves right now in wesnoth, not counting that with goblins on them :D btw 14 wolves. also, if i start to seriously work on this, there will be casualties and a lot of them. in one of the late scenarios, remnants from the second elvish party will join the wolves.

btw do u have any idea, about what drake to use? glider looks like the best idea so far... pet with big sword, like drake fighter, does not look very promising :)
Creator of Greenie knižnica and Greenie Linux and Wesnoth unofficial LiveCD; Slovak/Czech translator and creator of many campaigns. Everything is here on one place.
taptap

Post by taptap »

If you use recall as a way to make a hard limit on overall allowed losses, say using only a limited number of wolves (6-8) in each scenario, it may work, if you are expecting people to use most of them in each scenario you can't balance it. It will be either too hard or too easy - the I-load-the-savegame-whenever-I-lose-a-unit faction won't tell you about this balancing issue.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Elven

Post by Elven »

taptap wrote:If you use recall as a way to make a hard limit on overall allowed losses, say using only a limited number of wolves (6-8) in each scenario, it may work, if you are expecting people to use most of them in each scenario you can't balance it. It will be either too hard or too easy - the I-load-the-savegame-whenever-I-lose-a-unit faction won't tell you about this balancing issue.
well, playing heir to the throne with a lot of saving was fun for some time... in scenario 5 i had 5 elvish champions :D and then it was too easy :D i cannot disallow the player to use save/load a lot, i can only add a few quotes, about "dont worry if you lost someone".

also, idea is to have 4 main characters (female druid, drake, main captain and the big DPS hero), they cannot die. all other can. I am also thinking about doing some scenarios, when all wolves are in two separated groups for most of the time.
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

Hello, maybe you could use Warg faction from Era of Magic http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Wargs
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

That is not from EoMa, possibly from EoM, cant check right now.
Elven

Post by Elven »

Ravana wrote:That is not from EoMa, possibly from EoM, cant check right now.
i like to use a slightly modified wolves from the default unit tree, with some upgrades. in this campaign, there allready is healing and a scout.

also thinking about doing big changes to the druid, adding some fire magic etc. also, about unit recalling... with for example 60 gold, player can recall only 3 of them. also, there will be scenarios without any castles, just 2 groups. in the very late scenarios i also wish to add some elves from the 2nd group, not exactly sure about how many. i didnt even think much about the maps...