Salt Wars (EoFM campaign)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Deki

Re: Salt Wars (EoFM campaign)

Post by Deki »

Throughout the weekend I played Salt campaign and enjoyed it very much. Definitely one of my favorite campaigns from now on. I am now on the scenario with convoys which is my favorite so far. Lots of strategy and positioning play. Only trouble is I have no healer at all. Alchemist died so fast that I was never close to leveling one. Anyway I will continue without one and see what happens. Might even replay the campaign to try some new strategies.

What I like the most about this campaign is that it has some old Egypt Nil delta flavor. Sea states faction resembling to the many local trader city states from the region, being in contact with Nubians, Libyans (Highlanders and Darklanders) and Imperial faction (Roman Empire and its Greek allies). It would be interesting to be able to play campaign with reversed sides.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

You know it's funny. You're the second person who's said it has an Egpyt feel to it but that was never really the intent.

There is another EoFM campaign, Panther Lord, where you mostly play as darklanders. I am currently nearly finished with another campaign but that one features a faction from the extended version of the era (which you can look at with multiplayer). In truth I'm as much waiting for the art for the featured faction to be finished as I am on completeing it, all that's really left to do is balance testing.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Deki

Post by Deki »

I already downloaded Panther lords, and will play it after I finish Salt campaign - which I have to restart because my leader got killed in attempt to disengage from the fight with caravan guards. Usually I would just restart the scenario, but this time I will start new campaign and try to play a little differently, develop some healers and have better mix of units.

I also tried to play count Kromire, liked the story very much but it looks like my current skill level is not enough to pass the campaign. I will get back to it after I improve my play.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Salt wars is up on 1.12. I've included a few of the requested tweaks and also revised the fourth scenario to take advantage of the new micro AI's. (Camapign designers take a look at those, they open up your options).
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Deki

Post by Deki »

I just started playing the scenario: Battling the lions. Enemy has huge forces, somewhere around 2300 gold, while I have 500. David vs Goliath :D
mithc

Post by mithc »

I love your stuff Velensk! I've been away from BFW for a while now, I tried my hand at helping create a campaign and tried to bug test for several others. It was just too much for me and I bit off more than I can chew. Kromire was my favorite, I really wish you would've continued the story for that. Panther lords was a lot of fun and I loved the aspect of the Empire trying to basically industrialize and "civilize" the natives. Salt wars was very interesting, it actually was the toughest for me to complete just because I was never quite sure how I should proceed in the battles. Anyway, I'm just letting you know that your stuff was great and if you made another campaign I can't wait to play it.
Xara

Post by Xara »

In the last scenario, the objectives are somewhat confusing and misleading. It displayed "Defeating all enemy leaders", but the actual victory condition is to kill Lord Hilt. And "1000 gold diverted from imperialist coffers by raiding last scenario" drove me to think that maybe I need to collect 1000 golds before the end of 50 turns to pay for the helping chiefs, because I thought "raiding last scenario" meant "raiding in the last/final scenario". Maybe "previous scenario" would be a better phrase, and it would probably be better to make it a note instead of a win condition.

And I think such a well-made and hard campaign should have a walkthrough on wiki. Even though the campaign is said to be introductory and therefore easy, I still can't imagine how it can be beaten on Hard.
It pronounces Sha'ha, not Zara.

Feedback Thread of my Add-ons
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Xara wrote:In the last scenario, the objectives are somewhat confusing and misleading. It displayed "Defeating all enemy leaders", but the actual victory condition is to kill Lord Hilt. And "1000 gold diverted from imperialist coffers by raiding last scenario" drove me to think that maybe I need to collect 1000 golds before the end of 50 turns to pay for the helping chiefs, because I thought "raiding last scenario" meant "raiding in the last/final scenario". Maybe "previous scenario" would be a better phrase, and it would probably be better to make it a note instead of a win condition.

And I think such a well-made and hard campaign should have a walkthrough on wiki. Even though the campaign is said to be introductory and therefore easy, I still can't imagine how it can be beaten on Hard.
I'll see what I can do to get those updated sometime this week.

As a side note: I made this campaign for the woman who did the Era of Four Moons art, so that she'd have a campaign in her skill range that used her creations. I balanced the beginner lvl with her in mind (she being relatively inexperienced at the game itself), thinking the average player would find that a touch boring, I balanced medium with the intent of being harder but nothing that should be troublesome to anybody with experience. Hard on the other hand I balanced with myself in mind and the last time I played it I was able to beat it on hard only needing to retry the last level a couple times.

I would love if somebody did a walkthrough for them. I'm fairly busy at the moment though so it's unlikely to be me.

Panther Lord and Swamp Witch curse were balanced around my own abilities from the get go. I have had people complain that they're a bit inaccessible. I'd love for somebody to do walkthroughs of them as well.
taptap

Post by taptap »

I found Salt Wars quite difficult, but doable, on hard, even with less than optimal play. Panther Lord, however, is the hardest campaign I played through in Wesnoth, and I restarted it from campaign start several times, in addition to multiple tries for several scenarios before I finally beat it (only Founding of Borstep might be more difficult, if it is even possible). I would very much like to have a page for the Era of Four Moons + walkthroughs through all the campaigns, but we can not really ask the creator to provide us the walkthroughs... I would participate though, after all it is some of the best user-made-content.
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I've updated Salt Wars to 1.16
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Just downloaded this since it said it was easy. Found one typo in the dialogue: route should be rout in the first scenario.
Atreides
Location: On the 2nd story of the centre village of Merwuerdigliebe turning the lights on and off

Post by Atreides »

Finished S2. Ugh, horrible losses (thank goodness for nonfatal wounds) but I tricked them and won by killing the imperial 1st and taking the bridge.
SW-Highlander Mercenaries Aufzeichnung 20231228-194527.gz
Nightmarish struggle
(86.86 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Found a dialogue error:

"My duty is the guard this post. I can't leave for that long a journey."

guessing the should be to : )
OTOH one can say the guarding of this post
or guardianship for guarding