The Fall of Bort

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Great_Mage_Atari

The Fall of Bort

Post by Great_Mage_Atari »

THE FALL OF BORT

Welcome to the official Fall of Bort thread!

This is no ordinary campaign project. This campaign will be spearheaded by me with the input and content of other users. Here is the rundown of what FoB will be about and how it will be created, along with specifications that will be implemented:

The Basic Story

The Fall of Bort is about a human kingdom that has fallen to a great number of foes. These foes will range from Orcs to the Undead (but will also include units that others will have made). The humans will have to survive and move to a new home, which will not be easy. The trip will be perilous, and at times it will look desperate. The Bortians (subject to change) will have to fight their way into new land and take revenge on those who killed so many of their own. The outcome is uncertain.

How It'll Be Made

1. The Fall of Bort is fully collaborative, meaning that anyone can submit worth material to be put into the game. This is made by users for users.
2. Anyone may create scenarios and units as they please, and they may be uploaded here.
3. Collaborators may work together or alone on different scenarios, units, etc.
4. Scenario, unit, storyboarding, and other such details may be discussed in private or in the official thread.
5. There will be two or more episodes, each with a unique storyline that fits in with the theme.
6. Any episodes made prior to the first must make sense in the complete story.
7. Just have fun and go nuts.

Any info, art, scenarios, ideas, etc., may be posted here for consideration or PM'd to me. I really do hope this can take off, as I think it will not only be an interesting project to work on, but also a fun one.

And remember, have fun!
Chief_Chasso

Re: The Fall of Bort

Post by Chief_Chasso »

This is a good idea, however, and I don't want to sound negative, but your outline is vague. How would anyone know where to start? Maybe you can post this in the writer's forum to help flesh out the story first before people contribute scenarios. Or maybe you can create the first scenario and then contributors can pile on top. I'm just thinking there should be a little more to go by as a starting point. These are just suggestions.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic
Great_Mage_Atari

Chief_Chasso wrote:This is a good idea, however, and I don't want to sound negative, but your outline is vague. How would anyone know where to start? Maybe you can post this in the writer's forum to help flesh out the story first before people contribute scenarios. Or maybe you can create the first scenario and then contributors can pile on top. I'm just thinking there should be a little more to go by as a starting point. These are just suggestions.
That's what this forum is for. I have no idea where it will start. It's up to others to figure that out. Once someone comes up with a good beginning, I'll implement it.
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

First thing: i have close to no ability in WML, and i will most likely only give story ideas

Well... maybe start from the beginning ? I would propose to make an introduction scenario, something like a skirmish against the foes that will later destroy the kingdom, and then moving on to a huge battle impossible to win, which would lead to the hero running away (maybe losing 1 of the principal characters in the process ?) with what remains of the people. Then would their journey begin, trying first to run away to a new land, then regroup in this land.

For the main character, maybe the king's daughter (i'm getting bored of the classic male-lead that can be found 70% of the mainline campaigns, and some of the UMCs) ? With of course 3-4 other important characters and, who knows, each having their own story that could be developped later ?
1st supporting character: The teacher (if possible, not an old mage, i don't want a Delfador copycat, so a Master-at arms maybe ?), which would die when running away from the capital after their loss (1 master-at-arm vs huge army of "whatever you can imagine as long as it isn't a god", who will win ??!!)

2nd suporting character: young noble fool, a fencer of course (i'm still gonna use some cliches, they're useful), perfect opposite of the above, with something like a small vice that might get him in a bad situation (who knows, he loves roasted penguin or something like that)

3rd: For that one, i would take one of the villagers, "the hidden genius", something like him using a fire ball to defend himself inconsciously, and getting recruited in the army after that. Might turn to the dark side of the force later (that role can be given either to the fencer or to the mage. The reason for the fencer would be: "he promised me the best roasted penguin in the world, + a colony of penguins waiting to be roasted (and the best cook of course))

4th: The best friend. Most likely a noble too, but not idiotic, something like a perfect jack-of-all-rtades (not just good at everything, perfect at it) who would in turn be hated by close to everyone around him. Might be killed (at least wounded) by the "dark side" guy.
Then, for the enemy leader, why not create an Orcish necromancer ? That could be kind of fun and justify close to any enemies they could face (orcs ofc, undeads, mercenary humans, magically brainwashed elves....).

That's just the skeleton of the story i would give with what you said in your first post. As i don't know exactly what you want to do (make a long part about them losing the kingdom or finishing it in 2-3 scenarios like i would, for example), i can't really deceide anything.

Also, if i start writing the whole thing i'm still there in 2 days, and that would make huge spoilers for people reading it.

Well, i can still try giving something for the intro scenario, which has to be done in my opinion (i'm not gonna give any name/gender to the characters, as i don't know if people would agree with what i have in mind).

I'm gonna steal the "diary" idea from UtBS, as it's really useful for story-telling.
My name is [insert random name here], and i'm the princess of Bort (can be changed anytime, if possible someone with leading ability, and who will take command when getting attacked, i'm just taking the commander route). As i write, our proud kindgom, which had never lost a war in his thousand of years of history, is facing an unknown threat, more powerful than any ever faced. Random skirmishes has been reported in the last months, and i fear a stronger force might be behind them, testing our defenses and weakening us. I have moved to the village of [random name again, i will take the time to give some later] with my legion, as it has been under attack for 2 days now.
That's it for the first introduction, should set things pretty well, though it looks a little like "The eastern invasion". I hope it's not too long.

Then the fighting starts, you on the right side (or left, depends on how you map it), the village in the center, surrounded by an army of orcs (with maybe a new unit line for the orcish shaman??) with the enemy leader on the left, and a classic kill the enemy leader, with the condition that you mustn't lose too many villagers (the number depends on how big the map is). Also, the village has an independent leader which should be set to defensive (i think i've already seen it in WML, so could be doable).

As i see it, i would place the 2 leaders 27-33 hexes away from each others, and the village being in the middle, with maybe a small forest north and a lake south the village. So a 30x30 map (maybe a little bigger: 33-33, but not much) That way, each leader need 3 turns to reach the closest one (15-16 moves), and that leaves some place to create more.

(I hope i didn't make any big english mistake, and also that it is doable. might add more later)
Last edited by Raijer on February 23rd, 2014, 12:02 am, edited 3 times in total.
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I would suggest creating at least the first scenario before turning it over by feedback.

In a way this could be one of the few viable ways to do the expanding tree of character choices (by spreading the work around, any person who wants to create a new path could just make one and then players get to choose between the ideas contributed).

As an aside note: My favorite enemy to fight in mainline wesnoth is the humans. As a non-contributer that may not be worth much but if anyone can find ways to work it in there for many scenarios I might actually try the end product.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

I hope i'm not limiting things too much, but mercenary humans can be easily brought up in the "after the fall" period, as they might be humans that have been promised liberty in return for hunting the fugitives, or something like that.

William Ernest Henley
Great_Mage_Atari

Raijer wrote:I hope i'm not limiting things too much, but mercenary humans can be easily brought up in the "after the fall" period, as they might be humans that have been promised liberty in return for hunting the fugitives, or something like that.
I like your ideas! The female lead seems like a nice touch. I think that the community would have to come up with a good first scenario, then work off that.
Velensk wrote:I would suggest creating at least the first scenario before turning it over by feedback.

In a way this could be one of the few viable ways to do the expanding tree of character choices (by spreading the work around, any person who wants to create a new path could just make one and then players get to choose between the ideas contributed).

As an aside note: My favorite enemy to fight in mainline wesnoth is the humans. As a non-contributer that may not be worth much but if anyone can find ways to work it in there for many scenarios I might actually try the end product.
I was also thinking of having more human enemies in the game. However, I would also like some new enemies along that line, just as you suggested.

Community support makes me very excited to make this project work!
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

I wish you good luck with your campaign.
There's just one thing I can't understand. Why are humans the main protagonists in almost all the user-made campaigns. There are so many beautifully crafted add-on races. I say give Wargs a chance :)
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

Hmm... That would be hard. I don't know which language Wargs talks, and i'm not sure anybody else would understand it if i used it. Anyway, more seriously, i think this has already been debated, and the answer is simply that humans are the one we are closest to (unless you're a warg ?).
Also, in this particular campaign, the fact that humans are the only ones that have etablished a real kingdom is pretty important (i don't see the orcs making a real kingdom with cities and all, out of the black eye's campaign). Also because they offer more possibilities on the strategic side, being one of the most diverse faction. And they allow tons of alliances (elves + dwarves + good trolls and, who knows good orcs) to get in the story.

Also, the wargs can still get into the story (you could even do the scenario, seeing as this is a collaborative project).
Just to know, when you speak about wargs, what is it ?

-the hyena-like beast that is seen in the LOTR films/the huge wolves seen in the books ?

-the Game of Thrones term?
SMALL SPOILER:
-something completely different

I might create the map for the first scenario myself (as i see it), but this project won't get very far if nobody else gets into it (i already said it, but i have close to no ability in WML)

William Ernest Henley
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

I think this is a good idea. I'd be glad to code one or two scenarios from time to time, but I only work irregulary. This seems like the perfect project for me, as long as others are willing to contribute too. :)

What I think schould be discussed is the title of the kingdom. Bort does not really sound very fantasy-ish to me, or at least not how a human kingdom would be named.
(sorry to bother with such an irrelevant thing as some name :roll: )
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

I don't see anything wrong with "Bort", but who knows, if you can find something better, why not (ofc, it has to be discussed).

William Ernest Henley
Great_Mage_Atari

Paulomat4 wrote:I think this is a good idea. I'd be glad to code one or two scenarios from time to time, but I only work irregulary. This seems like the perfect project for me, as long as others are willing to contribute too. :)

What I think schould be discussed is the title of the kingdom. Bort does not really sound very fantasy-ish to me, or at least not how a human kingdom would be named.
(sorry to bother with such an irrelevant thing as some name :roll: )
Hey, go for it. Just remember to post updates on your scenarios here. Have fun!

Also, I'm working on a storyline now, so I will update in the future once I think of more. If anyone has suggestions and/or ideas, feel free to post.
Eugen

Post by Eugen »

Raijer: Wargs can be found in Era of Myths (I think), link here http://wiki.wesnoth.org/Wargs . Basically it's a nature magic/shapeshifter/werewolf faction. They're organized in clans similar to Orcs.
And to your question: Hell yeah I'm a Warg! Anything is preferable to seeing same loyalist units all over again :D
Raijer

Post by Raijer »

OOOOOOk. So. Here's the "script" for the first scenario, feel free to critic, say you don't like the names or anything, give ideas to improve it, but PLEASE, be consistent, not something like "baaaaah it's ugly it doesn't looks good bla bla bla i'm just a little kid that only knows how to critic bla bla bla". It's the first time i try to do something like that, english isn't my mother tongue, so, give advices, no useless critics that reflects only your own tastes (if it isn't anything too big, you can give your own tastes, but don't ask me to remake all of it just because "you don't like it").

More than anything, feel free to tell me that my english isn't good enough, or that it should be turned in another way.
This might give an idea of where i will take the story, so might be considered a spoiler. Also might give the whole first scenario away:
Will add more in an hour, be patient please
Last edited by Raijer on February 26th, 2014, 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

William Ernest Henley
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

About the names: I think we should aim to mainline standards. There, realistic names have been changed to more fantasy-ish names. For example Jessica has been changed to Jessene. But this is I think more a matter of taste, and I would be fine with these names. Maia also seems better to me than Lucia.

The corpses on the battlefield could be overlayed with images, although this would have to be created, as the peasant( in my 1.11.8 version of the game) does not have any deathframe.
What I had in mind was an image of a dead peasant, similar to this:
that could be added too perhaps.
that could be added too perhaps.
dead-horse.png (2.5 KiB) Viewed 4183 times
If you add a map, I could start coding it :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl