Wesnoth 1.11.10 (1.12 beta 1)

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.11.10 (1.12 beta 1)

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.11.10 (1.12 beta 1) is out!

Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot Screenshot

This is the moment we have all been waiting for. The tenth release in this series marks the beginning of the stabilization phase of this development cycle in preparation for the upcoming stable release, Wesnoth 1.12.0. Before we get to that point, of course, we will release additional beta versions as we progress in addressing issues reported to our bug tracker. Thus, a feature and string freeze is now in effect for this and future 1.11.x releases.

And now, this is the part where you come into action! In order to ensure all important bugs are solved before 1.12.0 is released, we need your help!
  • Players should test these betas and all the various new features and units included for single-player and multiplayer games.
  • Content authors should start porting their content to these versions and testing it now to ensure first-time players of version 1.12.0 — or Wesnoth in general — have a chance to play with their favorite add-ons when the time comes.
  • Translators should begin work on translating mainline Wesnoth as soon as possible and try to aim for 100% completion before 1.12.0, which is expected to become available within a couple of months. Of course, players with the required language skills can also help — all the instructions to contribute to the mainline translation teams are in the wiki!
Everyone willing to help should report any bugs they encounter, be they issues found during normal gameplay, or when working with WML or Lua for add-on content. Every properly-filed bug report is useful to us, no matter how trivial or obvious the issue may seem to be.

Typos in the English text of the game should also be reported in the wiki so they can be amended as soon as possible.

Without further ado, here is a list of the most important changes since the last development release:
This is not a change, per se, but it is still relevant to players and content creators who regularly use our development releases.

As mentioned above, the stabilization phase of the development cycle begins with this release. In order to facilitate the process for everyone, this and future 1.11.x and 1.12.x versions will only include bug fixes and translation updates.

Feature freeze:
  • No more new features will be added, as this risks introducing new bugs or version incompatibilities affecting saved games, replays, and/or multiplayer games.
  • No (incompatible) changes or additions will be made to our WML and Lua APIs, allowing UMC maintainers to port their content from 1.10.x without having to worry about us breaking things behind their backs. Later, this will allow add-ons written for 1.12.x to reliably work with any version from the same stable series.
String freeze:
  • No major or unneeded changes or additions to strings — this allows translators to work on translating Wesnoth as fast as possible without their work being set back by changes in mainline, so that 1.12.0 can feature as many complete translations as possible for players across the globe.
[rashot=float:right]1.11.10-2[/rashot]When players disconnect from an MP game, the host now has improved options:
  • Save and abort: Formerly the host only had an “abort” option.
  • Set side to idle: An idle side will not perform any actions, it will never end its turn, the host will not be able to see the map from its point of view, and control will revert to a human side if the game is saved. If gameplay progresses to a side in this state, then the host must assign control to a player by any of the usual means first before the game can proceed.
  • “Blindfold replays” option: If a player checks this option in the lobby and then joins a game as an observer, they will see only a black screen until they are given control of a side by the host.
    This feature is still experimental — feedback would be highly appreciated.
There are two new game commands as well: :idle, which toggles the idle state; and :controller, which is a debugging command querying the current controller type of a side. Additionally, the :give_control command is now documented — although it already existed in 1.10, it changed names and somehow became undocumented. This command launches a friendly GUI to assist with changing side controllers.
[rashot=float:right]1.11.10-3[/rashot]The list of game UI themes available in PreferencesDisplay now includes short translatable descriptions of each theme. Theme descriptions and theme names are now translatable as well, requiring the introduction of two new attributes to the [theme] WML tag, id= and description=. Themes including only a non-translatable name= will cause both the game and wmllint to generate warnings.

For the syntax details of these [theme] tag attributes, see ThemeWML in the wiki.
[rashot=float:right]1.11.10-4[/rashot]The user interface used for displaying WML errors during the content loading and initialization phase (also known as “Reading files and creating cache”) has received a complete makeover in this version:
  • The list of affected add-ons in the summary is now displayed in a bulleted format when applicable, and add-ons are identified by their regular names (or approximations thereof when those are unavailable) instead of the complete paths to their _main.cfg files.
  • Players are encouraged by the game to report any errors found to the add-on authors or maintainers. A new button is available above the detailed report to copy it to clipboard, e.g., for including it in a forum post without having to upload large screenshots or check stderr.
  • Parser implementation details (specifically, “value ‘token’ at location”) are no longer included in the report by default since they don’t really help WML authors with debugging. They are still available for core contributors and developers in debug (-DDEBUG) builds.
  • Preprocessor substitution traces (“included from”) are now displayed on separate indented lines in order to avoid a “text wall” effect.
  • Parser errors for mismatched opening/closing tags and missing closing tags are worded in a clearer fashion.
Additionally, the format used for logging these errors to stderr has changed:
  • Messages for errors from multiple add-ons are now sent to stderr one by one as they happen, rather than printed all at once at the end of the loading phase.
  • The indented format used in the UI is used in stderr now as well.
[rashot=float:right]1.11.10-1[/rashot]The pop-up notification displayed when taking a screenshot of the game UI or map has been replaced with a small dialog including options to copy the screenshot path to clipboard, open it with an external application, or browse the screenshots folder in the file manager application defined by the platform.
This release includes a workaround for a long-standing font antialiasing issue affecting Wesnoth on Windows — more specifically, when running with the ClearType antialiasing engine enabled.

This issue could only be observed on those parts of the Wesnoth user interface using Cairo for font rendering, such as the main menu, the Campaigns menu, and most GUI2 dialogs. The workaround consists of exclusively using grayscale antialiasing (as opposed to RGB subpixel hinting) on Windows. This is considered an acceptable stopgap measure at this time, considering that all other UI elements using FreeType instead of Cairo (e.g., the loading screen, default MP lobby, Load Game dialog) were already limited to this font antialiasing technique.

See bug #21648 [Gna.org] for more details.
Two scenarios in this campaign have been redesigned: “Captured” and “Capturing the Ogres” (formerly known as “Training the Ogres”).
The rebalancing project for this campaign, started in version 1.11.7, is now complete.

The intention of this effort is to make the campaign significantly more difficult in accordance with its status as an expert campaign, but still comfortably playable on Medium difficulty by an expert player. On Nightmare difficulty, it is now supposed to be very hard.

Feedback from players would be very helpful to assess whether these goals were met.
There may be many more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including WML and Lua API additions for user-made content creators, translation updates, and fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant for regular players. Finally, an announcement including a list with the most notable changes between 1.10 and 1.12 will be made available along with the 1.12.0 release when it is ready.

New Contributors and Developers

This release includes contributions from aquileia and iceiceice, submitted via pull request on GitHub. Additionally, iceiceice is now a member of our developers team!

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth too? You are always free to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help with getting started!

Downloads

Source code (391.3 MB) (MD5 sum)

Xdelta from 1.11.9 (11.7 MB) (About Xdelta)

The Windows, Mac OS X, and OpenPandora packages are already available and can be found on the Download page in the wiki.

All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.11.10 is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other users of 1.11.10.

The add-ons server for 1.12.x is already running. It was started for this release and it will serve all future beta and RC releases from this series, as well as all releases in the stable 1.12.x series. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, do not hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.10 (1.12 beta 1)

Post by doofus-01 »

shadowm wrote: Improved WML load error reports »
This was a pretty good idea, thumbs up to whoever was responsible. Would it be possible to also get rid of the "unknown scenario" pop-up? That message provides zero information, but it gives players a red herring to latch onto. I realize there's a string freeze in effect, so if that pop-up needs to be there, can it be replaced with something else, like a fragment of the more useful error message?

The F5 button still doesn't work in the editor. I'm gonna file a bug report.
EDIT: http://gna.org/bugs/index.php?21717
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Svistwarrior273
Translator

Post by Svistwarrior273 »

Translators should begin work on translating mainline Wesnoth as soon as possible and try to aim for 100% completion before 1.12.0
:augh:
Spoiler:
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

Svistwarrior273 wrote:Lazing around was so comfortable :eng:
Spoiler:
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

doofus-01 wrote:
shadowm wrote: Improved WML load error reports »
This was a pretty good idea, thumbs up to whoever was responsible.
The developer in question, unfortunately, isn’t available at this time, but I will be sure to pass on the message to him/her.
Spoiler:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
tekelili

Post by tekelili »

I think would be very hepfull have a thread for each new BfW release, where all problems/doubts/bugs UMC authors had to adapt add ons WML, were concentrated.
As example, I have a problem with an event that is fired in 1.10 but no in 1.11. If I ask in my own WML thread is probable that usefull information to other authors from answers become difficult to find. It could also happen that prior questions about 1.11 could give me a hint if I had a place where look for them ;)

Edit:
Content authors should start porting their content to these versions and testing it now to ensure first-time players of version 1.12.0 — or Wesnoth in general — have a chance to play with their favorite add-ons when the time comes.
I have a campaign that works perfectly in 1.10 but in 1.12 several events with this structure...

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=recruit, post advance
    first_time_only=no
    [filter]
        side=1,2,3
    [/filter]
[/event]
...are not being fired. How is expected I try solve such problem. I dont know where look for information and post a question for each issue makes me feel a useless messenger in the process of wait for divine help :(
Be aware English is not my first language and I could have explained bad myself using wrong or just invented words.
World Conquest II
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

tekelili wrote:I think would be very hepfull have a thread for each new BfW release, where all problems/doubts/bugs UMC authors had to adapt add ons WML, were concentrated.
As example, I have a problem with an event that is fired in 1.10 but no in 1.11. If I ask in my own WML thread is probable that usefull information to other authors from answers become difficult to find. It could also happen that prior questions about 1.11 could give me a hint if I had a place where look for them ;)
This is what WML Workshop is for. If you have a specific question about using or fixing WML with a specific Wesnoth version (or don’t know for sure whether you stumbled upon a bug or not), you can start a new thread there with an appropriately descriptive subject.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

tekelili wrote:I have a campaign that works perfectly in 1.10 but in 1.12 several events with this structure...

Code: Select all

[event]
    name=recruit, post advance
    first_time_only=no
    [filter]
        side=1,2,3
    [/filter]
[/event]
...are not being fired.
This sounds like bug #21722 [Gna.org], which is fixed in 7cb0f5b92866f.