Community collab! Post *any* musical ideas here!

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aquileia
Inactive Developer

Re: Community collab! Post *any* musical ideas here!

Post by aquileia »

Motif15 is growing... and I also worked on motif16 and bitter_fate_acc.

As West hasn't come back yet and my attempts are spread over 8 posts by now, I bundled all of them together and deleted the other attachments. This will simplify getting all of them (e.g. for West and Pentarctagon).

I separated midi- and ogg-files so that people with a decent midi-soundfont do not need to download 11 MB which are redundant for them. As the server does not support large attachments, I now can only provide a dropbox-link for these:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gwcm8u2q8dfce0u/ogg_16.zip

willis: I too would love to hear a realistic recording of motif15, but unfortunately I don't have the necessary equipment (neither a good microphone nor good samples).
I'm downloading Hauptwerk right now, but the download will take all through the night. After that, I need to download an organ - I might even take samples from a Willis organ :whistle: (famous british organ builder).

------
Edit: After some compatibility problems I now proudly present my first recording with Hauptwerk! I'm open to any suggestions registration wise, so please comment.
------
Edit2: This is nearing something useable - I worked both on the piece itself and the recording.

motif15 - new midi, new recording
(2.52 MiB) Downloaded 527 times
other_files.zip
sheet music for motif15, musescore-file for motif11, proposals to iceiceice
(74.04 KiB) Downloaded 549 times
midi_16.zip
bundled midi files
(10.68 KiB) Downloaded 556 times
Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Alright, uploaded everything from here so far as UMC Music Book 11. The only criteria that I used for the music was that they were at least 30 seconds long and they weren't extremely similar to each other.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Thanks, Pentarctagon - it is a good feeling that the ideas which West will not include (that means most of them) might find their way into UMC.

Still, many of the pieces lack a proper accompaniment due to their nature of being motifs. I thought that I might as well try what I learned from willis - that a soft and slightly dissonant voice can add a lot of flair. With that at the back of my mind, I tried to move motif11 and ice_drake more towards background music.

As you uploaded Book 11 only to the development server, you can still make changes, right? If iceiceice agrees, could you please update motif11 and ice_drake? And by the way motif15_c is rendered obsolete by motif15_h2, so you might as well save 2MB.
Oh, and motif15_h2 has no [editor_music] entry, so it's rather hidden right now...
(2.71 MiB) Downloaded 509 times
Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Thanks for the update/[editor_music] catch! I uploaded the updated version to the add-on server under the assumption that it's fine, but it can be un-updated easily enough if it's not.

And yes, given that this is an active thread the music will get updated/added as it gets posted.
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Hmm... what might have been my inspiration for this one?

(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 547 times
Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Axfinger

Post by Axfinger »

Hello all,

I'm new to Wesnoth, just downloaded it tonight and I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far. I really enjoyed the music that has been put together for this project, really outstanding work. This thread is perfect for me, as I would love to contribute anything, ideas or otherwise to this project. I have 2 themes to submit at the moment. These were both written several years ago but they've been sitting around collecting dust and seem to fit this game's style well.

Theme # 1 (Flight Theme):

This theme is a bit frantic, uplifting, and hard hitting. Definitely for something action oriented. I originally envisioned this to go as an 'airship' theme for those of you who've ever played a final fantasy game. Not sure if this would be a little too busy for this game or not, but it can't hurt to share.

Theme # 2 (Army Theme):

This theme in contrast is much more subdued, driving, and a bit dark; perfect for an advancing army in my mind.

Both are just old unfinished ideas that were never fleshed out into real songs. I hope this thread is still active, because I'd love to get back to writing this kind of music.

Ax
Attachments
Army Theme.zip
(942.35 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
Flight Theme.zip
(941.22 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
Last edited by Axfinger on February 14th, 2014, 3:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Axfinger wrote:Hello all,

I'm new to Wesnoth, just downloaded it tonight and I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far. I really enjoyed the music that has been put together for this project, really outstanding work. This thread is perfect for me, as I would love to contribute anything, ideas or otherwise to this project. I have 2 themes to submit at the moment. These were both written several years ago but they've been sitting around collecting dust and seem to fit this game's style well.

Theme # 1:

This theme is a bit frantic, uplifting, and hard hitting. Definitely for something action oriented. I originally envisioned this to go as an 'airship' theme for those of you who've ever played a final fantasy game. Not sure if this would be a little too busy for this game or not, but it can't hurt to share.

Theme # 2:

This theme in contrast is much more subdued, driving, and a bit dark; perfect for an advancing army in my mind.

Both are just old unfinished ideas that were never fleshed out into real songs. I hope this thread is still active, because I'd love to get back to writing this kind of music.

Ax
Just FYI, any music used in Wesnoth or put on the add-on server has to by licensed under the GPL v2 or a compatible license (example: CC-0).
Axfinger

Post by Axfinger »

User content uploaded to Tindeck is all under Creative Commons License, I figured that was okay?

*Edit: Just to make sure I'm not stepping on any toes here, I've taken the liberty to upload the files as zipped .ogg files. Hopefully this resolves any potential issues.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

As far as I'm aware, the only Creative Commons license that is compatible with the GPL is CC0.

It'd also probably worth reading the legal notice stickied to the top of the forums as well as the "What about copyrights, do I retain the rights to my work?" section of the Music Contributions FAQ.
Axfinger

Post by Axfinger »

Having read through the GNU GPL and re-reading through Tindeck's own CC License, It seemed like while most points generally overlapped, there might be issues with derivative work on anything under the CC such that it may not be GPL compatible. When I first started my Tindeck account they were using a different CC than they are now, and I didn't notice the update. Again, my apologies if I made an error, and hopefully the updates to my posts have fixed any issues.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

I'm not a lawyer, so I don't really know how to judge things like license compatibility, but this is what people who know these things a lot better than me have said. Now that they're uploaded here though, what are they licensed under?
Axfinger

Post by Axfinger »

They aren't under any license so anyone can do anything with it. I can re-upload the files with the GNU copyright lines somewhere in the comments of the files if that's what I need to do. Just let me know what you need done for this to be in accordance with the guidelines as I don't seem to be getting it. I'm new to this forum and I did read the guidelines and the read this first before posting, but I am no lawyer either and I don't want to cause any problems for anyone. Let me know.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Honestly I don't know what not having a license would mean legally, so just putting it under the GPL would probably be easiest. Also, on a semi-related note, would you have any objections to them being included in the UMC Music Books?
Axfinger

Post by Axfinger »

In regards to the GNU GPL, how do I go about applying that to the files?

To your second question, you can absolutely include them there.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Axfinger wrote:In regards to the GNU GPL, how do I go about applying that to the files?

To your second question, you can absolutely include them there.
In VLC (what I use, I'm sure there are other ways) hit ctrl+i and you'll get the Current Media Information popup. Then just enter GNU GPL v2 into the Copyright box.
edit - example

And thanks :)