[Mainline] Editing Rangers

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Galadriel

[Mainline] Editing Rangers

Post by Galadriel »

Elvish Ranger and Elvish Avenger have the ability Ambush.

When an enemy get close to your Ranger/Averger, he won't be able to keep on walking but he can attack you.
I'd like to make the Ambush ability better, if an enemy get close to your Ranger/Avenger, he won't be able to walk and won't be able to attack you.

Also, I have the idea of giving to the Human Ranger the ability of Ambush, like an Elvish Ranger/Avenger.

It is just a suggestion.

PD.- I don't speak english, sorry for any mistakes.
doofus-01
Art Director

Re: [Mainline] Editing Rangers

Post by doofus-01 »

Galadriel wrote:I'd like to make the Ambush ability better, if an enemy get close to your Ranger/Avenger, he won't be able to walk and won't be able to attack you.
As a concept, I don't see the logic to that. Please explain.
Galadriel wrote:Also, I have the idea of giving to the Human Ranger the ability of Ambush, like an Elvish Ranger/Avenger.
If you are trying to do this for your own modification/add-on, you should ask for help in the this forum: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewforum.php?f=21 You will get better help there.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
alluton

Post by alluton »

Since your title says this is for mainline, you should provide some hard data to support your arguments because mainline units are considered balanced. ( Tough those units are level 2 so you have a lot better changes of changing them)
"This game cured me of my real life addiction."
-Flameslash
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

From a strategic point of view this sounds a bit broken. Does this mean that unless you begin your turn next to the ranger it is not possible to attack it at all? Or only the first unit.

Thinking about it, it sounds like what you really want is that the ambushing unit seizes the element of surprise to attack the ambushed unit, rather than how the ambushing unit retains initiative in the current system. Maybe what you really want is that the ranger *automatically* attacks the ambushed unit as soon as it is ambushed. So if it is a spearman, he will lose all his movepoints and be attacked with arrows, and if it is a mage he will be attacked in melee, and in both cases lose the ability to attack afterwards (I guess this is what would make sense? You most likely don't want the ranger to fight the same unit twice in one turn). And this would all be on the *spearman*'s turn.

I suppose if it is a nasty enemy or high chance of death neither attacks should occur, and it should work as it currently does, e.g. if the ranger ambushes an Armageddon drake it doesn't hasten its own demise, and the drake gets to decide if and how to attack.

This sounds like it might be a fun twist suitable for a campaign.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Taken as a larger issue, modifying ambush so that when you are ambushed you lose your attack would cause some silly effects in play. I think stopping skirmishers is cool and kind of thematic but making it so that it takes an extra units entire combat phase just to reveal and ambushing when you know where it is would be a problem.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."