new music for Wesnoth

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

amilcare

new music for Wesnoth

Post by amilcare »

hello everybody,

here you are new music for the game and some explanations of the use I intend for it. You will find them at http://mio.discoremoto.virgilio.it/bottedaorbi
to download, select the files, click on "SCARICA" and finally "SALVA". You are done.

the new pieces are:
defeat__ending_adventures.ogg
land_of_incubus.ogg
ooh_the_orchs_arrive.ogg
presentation.ogg

Aleksi: If intro.ogg sounds "too dreamy" to you, please listen to land_of_incubus.ogg and welcome to my nightmare :)

defeat__ending_adventures.ogg is a piece dedicated to the defeat of a player. It has to be played in loop.

ooh_the_orchs_arrive.ogg is an orchish theme, good to the battle.

presentation.ogg is a substitute for the original piece wesnoth-1.ogg. I think that the use of either wesnoth-1 and wesnoth-2 is a bit too ripetitive, so I propose this theme to replace wesnoth-1.ogg.

As usual, I'm glad to hear feedback from you guys.
Roel

Post by Roel »

after clicking every button to find out wich one means "download" in italian I managed to listen to your work.

I like ooh the orchs arive best (despite the grammar)

how do you make these songs?
scott

Post by scott »

Land of the Incubus: the first part of the theme sounds like weird electronic strings. How about normal strings? Also, at approx 2:50 the 'zhomzhom zhom zhom' in fuzzy/buzzy strings - what if that were stronger and cleaner... 'ZHOMZHOM ZHOM ZHOM'. I don't know what instrument would do that. Percussion maybe.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
scott

Post by scott »

by the way, I think presentation.ogg is really good. It makes perfect scenario battle music. I would definitely use it in my campaign if picked up by the game.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
tephlon
Translator

Post by tephlon »

I like your tracks a lot - would be nice to have some of them in the game :)
amilcare

Post by amilcare »

I find that the use of acoustical samples will not do the job as I intend. It lacks of dynamics. In this piece I've used Edirol Orchestral + Wavelab editor (v.5).
Anyway, if you are curious I could use the Garritan's samples in substitution of Orchestral but, as I stated before, the dynamics will not be the same.

Apart from that specific piece, I've a question for you: what is the sound required for the game? I haven't found specifications about that here in the forum. I suppose that the proposals has to sound like the music in wesnoth-x.ogg pieces, am I wrong? If ther's a desire/idea of acoustical music to substitute the present music of the game, instead of those "syntish" sounds, please let me know and I will do something :)
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

I didn't get to hear your music yet. Archive is giving me problems. Anyway i must leave town for 4 days, i'll check it when i come back.

As for Garritan strings, use it if you own it. :wink:

Aleksi.
Roel

Post by Roel »

amilcare wrote:I find that the use of acoustical samples will not do the job as I intend. It lacks of dynamics. In this piece I've used Edirol Orchestral + Wavelab editor (v.5).
Anyway, if you are curious I could use the Garritan's samples in substitution of Orchestral but, as I stated before, the dynamics will not be the same.

Apart from that specific piece, I've a question for you: what is the sound required for the game? I haven't found specifications about that here in the forum. I suppose that the proposals has to sound like the music in wesnoth-x.ogg pieces, am I wrong? If ther's a desire/idea of acoustical music to substitute the present music of the game, instead of those "syntish" sounds, please let me know and I will do something :)
I was told that wesnoth music should be classical sounding, so no trance stuff and heavy drumbeats. It should also blend in well with the music allready in the game
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

Yes, Wesnoth happensin the past. If you imagine musicians at the time of the story i doubt you'd have synths and computers! :P
So stick up to classical oriented instrumentation.
amilcare

Post by amilcare »

Roel wrote: It should also blend in well with the music allready in the game
Sorry this request does not make sense for me.How can you imagine such a thing?For example classical and acoustical:music after "wesnoth-6 ogg"? :shock:
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Usually a scenario has one track looping over and over, so you don't have to worry about one track playing after another and sounding very different. But I think Aleksi meant that new music should fit the themes of the current stuff, it shouldn't stick out too much.

Personally I think the soundtrack to Warcraft II is a great example of fantasy warfare music.
Aleksi
Music Contributor

Post by Aleksi »

amilcare wrote:
Roel wrote: It should also blend in well with the music allready in the game
Sorry this request does not make sense for me.How can you imagine such a thing?For example classical and acoustical:music after "wesnoth-6 ogg"? :shock:
Well... some musics should have been deleted long time ago. I did a list several times but it never happened. Maybe because i didn't provide enough music to replace the other tracks... :roll:
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

amilcare: I would like to include `beforethebattle.ogg' in my campaign, but a 2.8 megabyte file is too big for people to have to download from the campaign server. Could you make a version that is smaller (perhaps shortening the piece or decreasing the 'quality' of the OGG file a little)? It would definitely have to be less than 1 MB for me to use it, and preferably smaller (although if it gets included in mainline Wesnoth it's obviously not a problem).
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.
amilcare

Post by amilcare »

Ok!but i would prefer to shortening the piece rather than to decrease the quality of "beforethebattle.ogg".Because i tried to listen my songs "inside" the game and the quality of the playback is worse than the one i listen playng the music with the common player(for example winamp).

I really enjoy the idea to compose music for the campaigns.
I think that collaboration beetwen two of us (developer-musician) is more useful.

What about setting some music for the entire campaign?Are other pieces needed?I can compose other tracks apart from the songs already on my webspace.
Invisible Philosopher

Post by Invisible Philosopher »

I have already made most of the campaign and assigned standard Wesnoth music. I can't put too much music in, because as I said, campaign download shouldn't be to big. That one piece of music sounded great for entering the "void". I don't think I can really use any more... but thank you for offering. :)
Play a Silver Mage in the Wesvoid campaign.