Strange units

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Yomar

Re: Strange units

Post by Yomar »

Ok thx for the clarifications, I never said that I expect to change from today to tommorrow anyrhing, I never said that, again if its balanced its ok, but what about age of heroes ? Its there for fun ? Ok, but from the changelist I saw units balancung changes, so authors are trying to balance that era too I think, I mean units in the default era evolve in units of age of heroes, so if that is not balanced how can be balanced the default one, sounds like a countersense to me.
Beetlenaut I know about the story of those ancients that discovered things earlier (even atoms), but then many diskoveries where considered wrong or simply where forgotten, it was only one of the many examples of wrong believes that humans had in past centuries, like that lightnings where caused by the rage of gods, or like in middle aged when some sickness where caused by the devil.
But one episode don't change collective mind, for example many still believe that Columbus discovered America, even if its not true (see Vikings, Romans or Native Americans), but only his voyage had an big impact enough on collectivity to have so much influence to say he discovered America (even if he only landed at an island), and he tough that he circumnavigated the globe and that he arrived like in India.
Sorry for the off-topic.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

The main balancing work goes into Default Era. Level 2 stats (and to a smaller extent also level 3 stats) are a part of that, both for leaders and for leveling (i.e. a level-one unit is more worth if it levels into a better level-two unit).

Age of Heroes is an era build on top of Default Era by making the level-two versions of most level-one units recruitable, and making the leaders level-3.
It still uses the same units as in Default Era. So the only freedom left for balancing Age of Heroes is the price tag of the level-twos (and maybe some level-3 changes).

This makes it harder to balance Age of Heroes. (I don't know if actually someone is working on adjusting the unit prices of level-two units, or if they mostly stay at whatever someone thought when the unit was first introduced.)

Also, the unit prices are used by some AIs to decide which units are worth attacking, so changing them also risks upsetting balance in games against AI (campaigns and some MP scenarios), even if those units are never recruitable there.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Thank you a lot pauxlo, you just answered to something that was wirling in my mind from a lot of time, some units look too expensive or Not enough considering theyr power or utility, and from other posts that I read in the past Im not the only one. that thinks that, well I don't have anything else to say, beside thx again.
Beheld the origins of BFW.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Galadriel

Post by Galadriel »

I think that Paladin's sword is similar to a normal sword with holy water; damage is arcane but the sword is not magic.

Dwarves have short legs but they know very well how to use them, I think that's the reason they move like elves in forest but, they have less movements to compese it.
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

Yomar wrote:I mean units in the default era evolve in units of age of heroes, so if that is not balanced how can be balanced the default one, sounds like a countersense to me.
What causes the issue is the direct recruitment of the 2nd level units. Just because it is balanced to get them one way (accumulating however much experience on a level 1 unit) doesn't mean that it is balanced to get them another (direct purchase). There's no way to make them equivalent, so having them be too expensive or too cheap is a potential problem. "Countersense" need not come into it at all.