Wesnoth 1.11.8

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.11.8

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.11.8 is out!

Image Image Image Image Image

To begin this new year 2014 with some refreshing changes, the eighth release of the 1.11.x development series introduces more new features and improvements for players and content creators! Of course, many of these are still subject to further tweaking and polishing in forthcoming releases depending on your feedback. New development releases are published as time permits because we need to know our players’ and content creators’ experiences and opinions in order to have a chance to deliver a high-quality and stable 1.12 release in the future for you to enjoy!

Without further ado, some of the most notable changes in this release, in no particular order:
The Khalifate faction is now available in both of the new multiplayer eras included with the game: Default+Khalifate and Age of Heroes+Khalifate. Khalifate units use no magic, but instead rely on careful use of terrain and coordinated strikes around dusk or dawn. Since their units feature unique movement and resistances they will probably feel strange to play at first. The Khalifate faction is still under development but should offer fresh and interesting multiplayer options nonetheless!
The default mouse configuration used to interact with the game map has been replaced as follows:
  • Left/primary button: Select the hex or unit under the cursor, or deselect it if it is already selected.
  • Right/secondary button: Move or attack with the currently selected unit, display the context menu if there is no unit selected.
It is possible to revert to the scheme used in previous versions of Wesnoth by changing the mouse button bindings in PreferencesGeneralHotkeysGame as follows:
  1. Clear bindings for Select Hex and Move/Attack
  2. Bind the left/primary button to Select/Move/Attack
  3. Bind the right/secondary button to Deselect Hex
Various game user interface (UI) elements have been gradually refreshed over the course of the 1.11.x development cycle, with most changes landing first in the Map Editor. On this opportunity, the game menu bar, side bar, and mini-map have been completely overhauled with new graphics from LordBob, as well as new functionality specifically aimed at players, such as the new mini-map terrain color coding, and village and unit movement visualization options.
Rebalancing of the campaign continues and is mostly done for scenarios 1 (“End of Peace”) through 8 (“Silent Forest”) with only some fine tuning left to do. Play-testing and feedback by others would be extremely helpful for this process. The first newly rebalanced scenario of this release is “The Siege of Barag Gor”. Scenarios after “Silent Forest” have also seen some changes but are not balanced yet.
This version includes a ton of smaller changes to mainline campaigns, such as updated graphics for units in Son of the Black Eye and Delfador’s Memoirs, new world maps for Dead Water, The Rise of Wesnoth and Liberty, updated scenario maps for scenarios 1 through 7 of Eastern Invasion, and various minor improvements to Heir to the Throne.
This release introduces a new field to the Description section of the Add-ons Manager dialog, displaying a forum thread URL for the selected add-on if the id of such a thread was provided in the .pbl file by the uploader. On supported platforms, it is also possible to copy the URL to clipboard or open it in a web browser directly from Wesnoth.

We hope this will addition will allow players to reach add-on maintainers more easily as add-ons are gradually updated with the relevant information by their maintainers.

The .pbl file syntax used by this feature is documented in the wiki for add-on maintainers.
The old Compressed saves and Compress savegames using bzip2 options from PreferencesAdvanced (the latter introduced in version 1.11.1) have been merged into a single entry, Compress saved games, which offers a choice between Gzip (default), Bzip2, and No compression in a single location.

Players who previously had Bzip2 compression enabled in 1.11.7 and earlier, however, will need to re-enable this option manually. Those who had the default (Gzip) compression enabled or no compression enabled at all don’t need to do anything.
Since version 1.9.0, Wesnoth obeys the XDG Basedir Specification, meaning that on X11-based systems, such as most Linux distributions, userdata and preferences files have been split between $HOME/.local/share/wesnoth/<version> and $HOME/.config/wesnoth. However, the old command line options --config-dir and --config-path remained in place, affecting only the userdata path. New options, --userdata-dir, --userdata-path, --userconfig-dir and --userconfig-path now replace these old ones.
As usual with development releases, there are many more changes in addition to the aforementioned, including WML and Lua API additions for user-made content creators, translation updates, and many fixes for recent and long-standing issues. Most of these items are listed in the full changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant for regular players.

Do not be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then! Development versions are not the best for those in need of a stable gaming experience, who should stick to the current stable 1.10.x series instead. However, if you want to help us test what will eventually become the next stable 1.12.x series, you definitely should check it out and report to us any problems you find so they can be fixed in a timely fashion. Content authors are also especially encouraged to port and test their content with development versions to detect any problems with their add-ons or Wesnoth in advance.

New Contributors

This release includes contributions from iceiceice, submitted via pull request on GitHub.

Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth too? You are always free to join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help for getting started!

Downloads

Source code (393.4 MB) (MD5 sum)

Xdelta from 1.11.7 (21.7 MB) (About Xdelta)

The Windows, Mac OS X, and OpenPandora packages are already available and you can find them on the Download page in the wiki.

All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.11.8 is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other users of 1.11.8.

The add-ons server for 1.11.x is already running. It was started with the release of 1.11.0 and it serves content for all 1.11.x versions. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, don’t hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
KShrike

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.8

Post by KShrike »

Are we allowed to comment? (just delete and don't ban me if not)
So what else can we expect about the new faction? Will a new wiki page be released for them?

edit: I found it very odd that you gave a majority of those units a negative impact resistance. I feel like currently footpad swarm as knalgans may give them a hard time. However, there are some really interesting mechanics that I see here, especially with the level 2 unit who reacts with shield bash to melee attacks, to add tankiness by slowing attackers. Charge on a level 0 unit is also interesting, as well as two units that were very decent at both ranged and melee attacks. I guess only time will see how this works out. Looking forward to it :D
Also, I had no idea this faction has been around for so long, now that I did the research, so forgive any ignorance I have.
I actually don't like cavalry... isn't that ironic.
lipk

Post by lipk »

I found it very odd that you gave a majority of those units a negative impact resistance. I feel like currently footpad swarm as knalgans may give them a hard time.
I feel the arif is going to be way more tough for the footpad with its 9-2 marksman blade than the other way around ;)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

KShrike wrote:Are we allowed to comment? (just delete and don't ban me if not)
Well, if we didn’t want comments on this thread, it would be locked, and most importantly, I wouldn’t have specifically written about the importance of feedback at the start.

So yes, you can, and in fact should comment on the various changes from this release!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Max

Post by Max »

shadowm wrote:New default mouse control scheme and configuration »
is there a (technical) reason why drag&drop stopped working? i'm fine with those changes but i'm pretty sure i'd miss drag&drop...
shadowm wrote:Clear bindings for Select Hex and Move/Attack
Bind the left/primary button to Select/Move/Attack
Bind the right/secondary button to Deselect Hex
i'm also confused how to bind the left mouse button to both "select" and "move/attack".
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

There is two options one that is Move/Attack and one that is Select/Move/Attack
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

I posted this a few hours ago, then deleted myself because it looked duplicated. But maybe, I should post it again, just in case: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 50#p565350
What doofus-01 said worked on mine.

Anyway, I got the sudden game-close bug twice in a hour... But the campaign is pretty new, so I will probably try it on 1.11.7 later on today.
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

i would advise to edit both the turtorial & help files regarding the new mouse control and the circles above units
in help and turtorial the "old" mouse control is explained
in help is are also the old circles above units explained (changes are: red circle are now above enemies and instead grey circles are above your own units who spended all movements)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

On Elensofar Courtyard on 1.11.8 the entire map is a neutral zone instead of just the area on the right.

EDIT: another note, when you mouse over a unit it always gives the movement radius based on current movement even when it's not their turn. This results in you not being able to see how far an enemy unit can move if they moved on the previous turn as they have not been refreshed yet.

EDIT: under new interface, the observer icon appears on top of or underneith the menu button.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
monochromatic

Post by monochromatic »

KShrike wrote:Will a new wiki page be released for them?
I'm hoping my completion project of the How to Play series will eventually replace (or at least be included alongside) the current wiki pages. I do plan for the Khalifate to end up there, but I'd like to finish the original six, while the Khalifate continues to be balanced before 1.12. Ideally, I'd get them written before 1.12, but we'll see based on my pace and how my other pieces are received.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Max wrote:is there a (technical) reason why drag&drop stopped working? i'm fine with those changes but i'm pretty sure i'd miss drag&drop...
The reason is that it wasn’t fixed in time for the release in spite of my continued insistence about its importance.
Duthlet
Code Contributor

Post by Duthlet »

I'm not sure where this belongs so I just posted it here. These are some observations I made using wesnoth 1.11.8+dev (which shouldn't differ too much from wesnoth 1.11.8 at this point in time)

- On the aethermaw map some of the units in the corners are displayed as if the weren't in fog

- If you enable/disable planning mode or accelerated speed there is now a nice message showing up :)
However, if you quickly enable and disable again (or vice versa) the second message overlaps the first one.
(Also I wonder why there's a hint how to disable after enabling but not the other way round. Someone who doesn't know the hotkeys might accidentally turn off something he set in preferences and not know how to reset without looking for the setting in the preferences again).

- If you have accelerated speed enabled and delayed shroud updates disabled, the movement of your units is shown accelerated between each two hexes with a little lag at every hex, which looks wierd to me. Also when testing online playing both sides with different clients, I noticed that with delayed shroud updates enabled moves can't be seen by the other player as soon as shroud is updated.

Now a few things about the selecting/moving stuff (I reverted the configuration as described in the announcement post):
- If you hold shift (to toggle accelerated speed) your clicks are no longer recognised as the same as without shift (this is different from the stable version)

- Selecting hexes seems a bit inconsistent to me:
If more than one of your units can reach that hex this turn, they are highlighted and their amount is displayed on the hex. The remainder of the map is greyed out.
If exactly one of your units can reach that hex, it is highlighted and no amount is displayed on the hex. The remainder of the map is greyed out.
If none of your units can reach that hex, nothing is highlighted and no amount is displayed on the hex. The map isn't greyed out.
In the last case it's not easy to see that you selected the hex at all. You have the feeling not to have selected anything and get that strange path to one hex everytime you hover a unit ;)
I'd propose that it always works as in the first case, so you get a 1 or a 0 displayed on the hex and the remainder of the map is always greyed out so you can see that you selected that hex.
Additional features that would be nice for selecting hexes:
Toggle valid / best moves, toggle which side's/team's units are shown, select hexes that aren't empty in this way. It could become a very useful feature :)

- A last thing that probably really doesn't belong here:
When I edited my preferences file to try this change, I noticed there's a mp_user_name_history in that file.
Is this used anywhere? I don't know of any way to switch to a username I used before (other than retyping that name). It would be nice to have such a feature, maybe also make it possible to save passwords for several registered names.
Also I noticed that a large part of the preferences file is the encountered_terrain_list and encountered_units (partly from add-ons that I don't have installed anymore). What is the purpose of those lists (encountered_units makes sense as long as you aren't using :discover) or are they without use and can be deleted? They really decrease the readability of the file.
(My preferences file probably contains quite some outdated data as it has been used since version 1.2 or 1.3)
othalan

Post by othalan »

Thank you for 1.11.8! Some feedback:

I am running on Macbook Air running OS X Mavericks.

In the main menu when opening the application, I can no longer use the shortcut key to load games (Command-o). I must instead click the load button. Minor inconvenience.

I despise the new style default controls, probably because I am on a Mac with no real right click. Thank you for providing instructions on how to change to the old style controls. Perhaps there should be a configuration option to do that automatically?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

othalan wrote:I despise the new style default controls, probably because I am on a Mac with no real right click. Thank you for providing instructions on how to change to the old style controls. Perhaps there should be a configuration option to do that automatically?
That is a concern/issue shared by many, and the option to toggle it at start as well as whether those controls will even remain default past this release are still being discussed. Thank you for being patient while there is experimentation with new ideas.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Max

Post by Max »

othalan wrote:In the main menu when opening the application, I can no longer use the shortcut key to load games (Command-o). I must instead click the load button. Minor inconvenience.
the title screen even got it's own hotkey section - i'm pretty sure someone whould add that hotkey if you filed a proper 'bug'-report...