Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

revansurik

Re: Soldier of Wesnoth: SP Campaign (Feedback and Reviews)

Post by revansurik »

I notice some improvements since last I played but "The Soul of the Kingdom, Part II" is pretty strange. It acts as though Addraryn is gravely poisoned. When I played that scenario through again, not only was Addraryn out of reach of Nightstalker, I had advanced Meranoic to a White Mage. Neither of them could have remained poisoned for long given that they both have "cures" and "heals +8".
Nightstalker appearing far from Addraryn is because at the time I coded that scenario, I didn't know how to make him appear next to our hero regardless of where he stood, but now I know how to correct that :-) As for Meranoic being a White Mage... I'm seriously considering making her advance only through the Red Mage line. Even as I wrote the story, I never thought of her as anything other than a fire-casting mage; in fact, now that I think of it, that was exactly the reason I gave Addraryn a cure/heal ability, to compensate taking from Meranny the White Mage path, I don't know why I didn't actually do that :-P Besides, her being a fire mage may be useful to me when I start writing a planned part III of my Dragon Trilogy. Something that involves Valerya (if you remember Soldier of Wesnoth's ending, you know who she is :wink: )
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

Version 1.1.0 is out! No, don't worry, you haven't missed v. 1.0.4-9, I've just made a jump because I've made many changes. Nothing that changes the storyline, of course, mostly code-based ;-)

Here is the changelog:

Code: Select all

Version 1.1.0:
            -------------------
            - Units:
              - Meranoic may now only advance through the Red Mage line.
            - WML:
              - Improved the coding of the scenarios, chopping off unnecessary/repetitive stuff.
            -Scenarios:
              - The Soul of the Kingdom, Part II: Nightstalker should now appear next to Addraryn; some changes to the playlist.
              - Howling Heights: Added 'windy' sound fx.
              - Shadows in the Forest: Changed the name of Eärenia's niece.
              - The Heart in the Darkness: Added rainy weather effect and sound fx.
              - Sands of the Past: Changed schedule to Stormy Sky.
              - Strength of the Union: Changed schedule to Stormy Sky
              - The Lion and the Dragon: Changed schedule to Stormy Sky and weather rainy weather effect and sound fx
              - The Hand that cuts the other: added snowfall weather effect

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

So I've decided to replay Soldier of Wesnoth in Hard Mode, and I've given it a few more tweaks. Mainly, the bug that made Malene's recall list disappear in The Lion and the Dragon and In the Name of Justice must be solved by now; I really should've solved it sooner, sorry for that :oops:

Version 1.1.1:

Code: Select all

Version 1.1.1:
            -------------------
            - Units:
              - Added Human-old voice fx for both Moran and Rhur.
            - Maps:
              - Slight changes to the maps of Dan'Tonk, Blackwater Port and Weldyn
            -Scenarios:
              - The Lion and the Dragon/In the Name of Justice: Malene's recall list now works properly.
              - Improved (or so I hope) the balancing for Hard Mode
            - Writing:
              - Some corrections to dialogue and story parts.

;-)
patterner

Post by patterner »

Spoiler:
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

:roll: You could have put your comment inside a 'spoiler' tag, don't you think?
Spoiler:
And how are you supposed to win the last scenario with only 2 characters (and the friendlies which die like mayflies...)?
Didn't get it; in scenario In the Name of Justice, you should have Elyniver, Merina, Liryn, Reana and Meranoic with you, and also Eäreldor. Isn't Elyniver recruiting units?

;-)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

revansurik wrote:You could have put your comment inside a 'spoiler' tag, don't you think?
Fixed for you.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

Just wanted to say
Great campaign!

I'd like to report that on mission "Lawfulness and Darkness" the Necromancer you have to save's rather suicidal. He usually kills himself before I can get to him. I've REALLY been enjoying this campaign.
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

I'd really like to express how much I'm enjoying this campaign. I don't know if the creator's still active, but this Campaign's a work of art.

Each character grows on you. They all build their own independent personality, which greatly suites the story. There's humor built in with their personalities, without ruining the point of a serious campaign. The plot is great. It's original and unique, and quite an interesting story. The missions are never repetitive, and I've yet to find a low quality scenario.

I can't get enough of this campaign. I can't wait to see what the future missions have in store for me.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I don't know if the creator's still active, but this Campaign's a work of art.
Yeah, I'm still active and making campaigns :-P
I'm really glad that you're enjoying it! When you finish it, please tell me what you think of the ending; it seems like it was a bit polemical - but I'm not spoiling things for you ;-)
As for Vennyn's behaviour in Lawfulness and Darkness, yeah, I know that; I didn't want to make him sit idly, since that would not fit his character very well, but I still have to find a way to prevent him from going suicidal... :hmm:

;-)
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

revansurik wrote:
I don't know if the creator's still active, but this Campaign's a work of art.
Yeah, I'm still active and making campaigns :-P
I'm really glad that you're enjoying it! When you finish it, please tell me what you think of the ending; it seems like it was a bit polemical - but I'm not spoiling things for you ;-)
As for Vennyn's behaviour in Lawfulness and Darkness, yeah, I know that; I didn't want to make him sit idly, since that would not fit his character very well, but I still have to find a way to prevent him from going suicidal... :hmm:
I've been trying to replay the scenario, Lawfulness and Darkness. And, I've tried doing it without losing a unit. You're hard too when he's suicidal. Do I have to worry about loosing several units?

Maybe you could just give the Necromancer more Health over-all.

One more thing, with the mission afterwards (Labeled "The Heart in the Dark") I went to the grand tree, and talked to the Wose. Morgan mentions we've been attacked by the Woses, but I've not encountered any woses yet, besides for the one that spawns @ the grand tree.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I've been trying to replay the scenario, Lawfulness and Darkness. And, I've tried doing it without losing a unit. You're hard too when he's suicidal. Do I have to worry about loosing several units?

One more thing, with the mission afterwards (Labeled "The Heart in the Dark") I went to the grand tree, and talked to the Wose. Morgan mentions we've been attacked by the Woses, but I've not encountered any woses yet, besides for the one that spawns @ the grand tree.
Well, if you lose too many units at Lawfulness and Darkness, there'll be little hope for you to win the following 4 scenarios, which are harder... Attack with many units at once, then the goblins and the outlaws will stand no chance. Send out Knights to help Vennyn while the infantry catches up, and don't forget that you have 2 healers on your army. Also, Duelists can delay the enemy for a while and can easily be saved from death by thei skirmisher ability, which enables them to avoid enemies.
As for Moran's (funny how everyone's calling him Morgan... :-P ) mentioning of the woses, I just expected the player to have sighted them before reaching Orofarnië...

;-)
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

revansurik wrote:

Well, if you lose too many units at Lawfulness and Darkness, there'll be little hope for you to win the following 4 scenarios, which are harder... Attack with many units at once, then the goblins and the outlaws will stand no chance. Send out Knights to help Vennyn while the infantry catches up, and don't forget that you have 2 healers on your army. Also, Duelists can delay the enemy for a while and can easily be saved from death by thei skirmisher ability, which enables them to avoid enemies.
As for Moran's (funny how everyone's calling him Morgan... :-P ) mentioning of the woses, I just expected the player to have sighted them before reaching Orofarnië...
I couldn't win the mission against the two generals (I believe it's called the Beast of Aethenwood), and I kept thinking that I was going to receive units, or reinforcements or something. But, I lost more units due to events. (Like my knights leaving to reinforce the front, and my champion, too). At that point with my units left, I stood no chance. So I went back several scenarios to the Sands of Time, and what I did was after defeating the first leader, I only sent my wose foward. I moved all of my units to the other end of the forest, and they couldn't see my wose because he was hidden. But, for some reason they didn't even leave their keep!

But even then, with my extra units, I can't complete the next scenario. I manage to defeat all of the generals, and the Beast of Aethenwood, but I can't defeat Sendra with my remaining units. I've tried, and I cannot. I've been at this all day! ^^

I finally got it, with one turn left. Awesome scenario!

At the end of the scenario, Addrayan talks to himself.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

But even then, with my extra units, I can't complete the next scenario. I manage to defeat all of the generals, and the Beast of Aethenwood, but I can't defeat Sendra with my remaining units. I've tried, and I cannot. I've been at this all day! ^^
I don't know if you tried it, but you should have let Sendra and Eäreldor fight each other first, they would wear each other out; if any of the two enemy generals were still alive, you could have retreated and let them take on Sendra too, and only then attack. I hope you haven't lost too many units on that scenario, or the following ones may get too difficult for you...
That must be a mistake related to the [role] tag, I'll correct it :-)

;-)
tribes55

Post by tribes55 »

revansurik wrote:
I don't know if you tried it, but you should have let Sendra and Eäreldor fight each other first, they would wear each other out; if any of the two enemy generals were still alive, you could have retreated and let them take on Sendra too, and only then attack. I hope you haven't lost too many units on that scenario, or the following ones may get too difficult for you...
That must be a mistake related to the [role] tag, I'll correct it :-)
Yeah, I found it a bit strange, even for Addrayan.

I'm way ahead now, on the scenario Crossed Destinies. In the dialouge before the mission, they claim that the person fighting them is in dire need of support. I was thinking the Scenario would be more instresting if there were already some units of both sides in the middle of the map fighting, maybe some with some health missing.

You should also lower the amount of gold you have at the beginning of the scenarios prior to Lion and the Dragon

Speaking of which, I can't complete that mission without getting this error.
http://gyazo.com/c58b0a645d0c936498cb34a2373a507f
I'm going to cheat so I can go to the next, as I was about to win anyways.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

That's a weird bug... Which version of Wesnoth are you playing, and which scenario got this error?

;-)