Add a bell to indicate party is full

Brainstorm ideas of possible additions to the game. Read this before posting!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting a new idea, you must read the following:
Caporal

Add a bell to indicate party is full

Post by Caporal »

Hi all,

A quick post to submit a very simple idea : why not having a bell ringing the host when the game is full. It happens too often that players wait for the host who is AFK, wich can be boring.
iceiceice

Re: Add a bell to indicate party is full

Post by iceiceice »

IMO this is a really good idea.
Ravana
Forum Moderator

Post by Ravana »

Supported.
Dunno

Post by Dunno »

bump!
Oh, I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Good idea.

Please fill a feature request at http://bugs.wesnoth.org.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

There is now both a feature request (#21211 [Gna.org]) and a pull request for this. I wonder if anyone might want to provide any additional opinions on this?
I wrote:At least in my opinion, the turn bell might not be the best choice for this feature since it is also normally heard at the beginning of the first player’s turn once the game starts (i.e. when the host decides to start the game). A new sound option might as well continue to use the turn bell as a placeholder until a better sound effect becomes available.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

shadowm wrote:
I wrote:At least in my opinion, the turn bell might not be the best choice for this feature since it is also normally heard at the beginning of the first player’s turn once the game starts (i.e. when the host decides to start the game). A new sound option might as well continue to use the turn bell as a placeholder until a better sound effect becomes available.
Well, in both cases the bell's message is "open up your wesnoth window, stop doing other things and take care for it". One may think that a different sound could just as well be confusing or not achieve the desired effect. Confused by too many sounds, that is; there are already sounds for players joining and leaving the game creation screen.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Caporal

Post by Caporal »

I m glad you like the proposition.

I think normal turn bell would work as it already makes me open my Wesnoth window.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Just noting that the pull request was merged into mainline, and this feature will be available in 1.11.8 and later versions.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
flyswatter

Post by flyswatter »

Another minor suggestion closely related to this one.

The problem is the same as above: I often wait long for people to join, and in the meantime I usually do some other stuff on my computer. That bell will be really useful, thanks. However, sometimes people write me something, often just to check whether I'm not AFK. And since my Wesnoth window isn't up, I can't see it, and without a response they might decide it's pointless for them to wait, and they leave. So I would be glad if there were an option to enable the chat sound even in the lobby.