New Faction: Heiros

It's not easy creating an entire faction or era. Post your work and collaborate in this forum.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Nightshayde

New Faction: Heiros

Post by Nightshayde »

I'm back after a year, with a new faction: Heiros. Lore follows

Heiros was once the name of a vast and powerful empire situated in what is now known as the Ashland Desert.
A mighty empire brought to ruin by their own pride and arrogance. They conjured great sandstorms to wreak havoc on their foes, only to find that they could control them no better than those that occured naturally.
The nobility sealed themselves away in tombs, along with their honor guard and priests, hoping to wait out the storms and emerge to conquer their land once again.
But the sandstorms did not pass for centuries, and those who entombed themselves began to starve. The priests underwent a great ritual to preserve those who were entombed, becoming powerful undead in the process.
The tombs have finally opened, centuries after they were sealed, and the Heiros have returned to reclaim what was once theirs.

Basically they're egyptian undead, with mummies and skeletons. Still unfinished, needing more units (especially something that can fight efficiently in/over water), but the core of it is done, so I thought I'd post it here (also on the add-ons server) for feedback/testing etc.

EDIT: no longer obviously Tomb Kings from WHFB. I believe I can now say they were *based* on them, now that I'm not stealing names and they are fairly generic egyptian undead.
Oh, and movetypes and scorpions added (scorpions very unfinished)
Attachments
Heiros.zip
Scorpions done
(222.31 KiB) Downloaded 330 times
Last edited by Nightshayde on December 29th, 2013, 5:38 am, edited 4 times in total.
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and say someone famous said it"
-Abraham Lincoln
Dugi

Re: New Faction: Settra

Post by Dugi »

Pretty cool faction. And really good that they're also animated.
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I also think they're pretty cool. Given the theme, I like the mix of lawful and chaotic undead.

I think though, that they need some kind of unit to help them deal with their universal weaknesses. Otherwise some match-ups may become a bit one dimensional.

As a note: the level 3 skeletons shield bash has a bug on the image.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I think it would be cool if you made a movetype for the mummies to help distinguish them more from the skeletons (for more than just resistances). So things like not being fast in water, maybe lower defenses (compensate with more hitpoints if needed) ect.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Velensk wrote:I also think they're pretty cool. Given the theme, I like the mix of lawful and chaotic undead.

I think though, that they need some kind of unit to help them deal with their universal weaknesses. Otherwise some match-ups may become a bit one dimensional.

As a note: the level 3 skeletons shield bash has a bug on the image.

EDIT: Forgot to say, I think it would be cool if you made a movetype for the mummies to help distinguish them more from the skeletons (for more than just resistances). So things like not being fast in water, maybe lower defenses (compensate with more hitpoints if needed) ect.
Yeah, I had planned to implement a new movetype (though it was going to be for all of them, so they treat sand as open ground for defences, but not being fast in water should definitely be in there)
Also, as the shield bash isn't animated yet, so there shouldn't be an image bug there :hmm: (EDIT: I misunderstood what you were saying, I'll get onto fixing that)
As for the universal weaknesses bit, the only one I can think of is fire, which only makes a huge difference against drakes, which they do have ways of killing fairly quickly. But something not vulnerable to fire is probably a be a good idea. (I was planning on adding giant scorpions and sphinx constructs at some point,so I might make it them)

And I only really made the mummies lawful because of the liche priest Solar Beam attack lol :lol:
"The great thing about the internet is you can make up a quote and say someone famous said it"
-Abraham Lincoln
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Lack of mobility is also there pretty hard. You do have the horsemen but they have their own problems. Arcane weakness would also give the normal undead a pretty decisive way to clear the field of them. Mages could also be a problem but really it's the mobility that's the main issue.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Thanks for the tips. ^_^

I just finished implementing new movetypes (one for skellies, one for the horseman, and one for mummies), and a Giant Scorpion is starting to look like the next thing to do (being a fairly mobile unit that isn't vulnerable to fire or arcane)
-Abraham Lincoln
MattDakka

Post by MattDakka »

Err... not to disappoint anyone but this is a clear copy of Warhammer Tomb Kings of Khemri:
http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Tomb_Kings_of_Khemri
He even copied one of their characters' name, Settra, and used it to name the faction:
http://whfb.lexicanum.com/wiki/Settra
Favourite Eras: Ageless Era; Eastern Europe at War.
Favourite MP Map: Creep War.
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

MattDakka wrote:Err... not to disappoint anyone but this is a clear copy of Warhammer Tomb Kings of Khemri:
He even copied one of their characters' name, Settra, and used it to name the faction:

Any better now? (honest question, I did actually steal a lot of ideas from WHFB. sorry)
-Abraham Lincoln
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Nightshayde wrote:
MattDakka wrote:Err... not to disappoint anyone but this is a clear copy of Warhammer Tomb Kings of Khemri:

Any better now? (honest question, I did actually steal a lot of ideas from WHFB. sorry)
Yes, borrowing concepts for your own era is fine, but using similar names to go with those concepts treads that gray area.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Nightshayde

Post by Nightshayde »

Turuk wrote:
Nightshayde wrote:

Yes, borrowing concepts for your own era is fine, but using similar names to go with those concepts treads that gray area.
I'm going to assume this means I'm all good now, so progress has continued. Scorpions done (for now), the level 2 can ambush from sand
Attachments
Heiros.zip
(222.31 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
-Abraham Lincoln