Community collab! Post *any* musical ideas here!

Create music and sound effects for mainline or user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

aquileia
Inactive Developer

Re: Community collab! Post *any* musical ideas here!

Post by aquileia »

I really look forward to hear more ideas from others. As this thread exists only for about a week, let's hope it just needs some time.

With this try, I think I succeeded in a somewhat threatening and hollow feeling. But - it is totally inconsistent with the depiction of desert in motif3, so again no match :doh:

By the way, I am wondering how obvious the hidden musical quotation is... would someone listen again and post whether he found it before or after reading the following hint?
Spoiler:
Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Heh, I didn't find the quotation before or after :whistle:

Here's something new I fooled around with, not really compatible with first drake theme at least so far but it plays with similar themes.
Attachments
arial3.tar.gz
(359.17 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

Aquileia, here's my "second movement" of motif 11 which starts at the end of yours. (Even though I conceived of it this way I guess it could stand alone as motif 11, ice remix.)

Edit: I post here a song I call "bitter fate"... I came up with the main riff years ago, but I never wrote it down or anything. I try here to complete it and hopefully render it in a way that makes it wesnoth appropriate. It is pretty much just a melody, maybe could try to fill it out if people like it.
Attachments
bitter_fate_v2.tar.gz
(852.63 KiB) Downloaded 487 times
motif11_ice_second_movement.tar.gz
(1.66 MiB) Downloaded 525 times
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Thanks for sharing your compositions, especially your variation of motif11 - it's always nice to see / hear what others do with the same material!

If you only told me before, i could have given you the musescore file. I began with lilypond but musescore is just easier for actually composing stuff (lilypond's forte is typesetting, not editing). So you would have saved some time if you had asked. Did you use the midi-to-musescore conversion?

As to whether your version is rather a 2nd movement or a remix, is it enough to tell you that I copied it into my file nearly without changes (only the rhythm of a tiny passage and a few superfluous trills) ?
I think that your continuation is fantastic and really fits in: Thinking about how the orchestra draws back, leaving for a short time only two menacing bassoons behind which pound without pity upon the desert-dwellers...

In exchange ;) , I offer you an idea how you could accompany your melody. It's just for the beginning right now, my possibilities are somewhat limited as I won't have as much time for composing anymore.

Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 9:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willis

Post by willis »

Hi! Is it too late to join this effort? I used to do midi compositions ages ago, and I keep toying around with the idea of getting back into music creation. I'd love to dig up some of my prior unfinished work and see if there is anything worth putting a little bit of polish on and submitting here.

One of my big hang-ups is finding decent samples I've looked around at some of the documentation about contributing music to Wesnoth, and I see references to of the "how to contribute music" documentation, and I was really excited to see references to free sample collections (namely FreeSF2 and Sonatina), but the links all seem to be dead (insert picture of me looking crestfallen). Any suggestions?
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

willis wrote:One of my big hang-ups is finding decent samples I've looked around at some of the documentation about contributing music to Wesnoth, and I see references to of the "how to contribute music" documentation, and I was really excited to see references to free sample collections (namely FreeSF2 and Sonatina), but the links all seem to be dead (insert picture of me looking crestfallen). Any suggestions?
Did you follow the link to SSO in West's signature? That seems to work.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
willis

Post by willis »

Ok, here you go - this is a reprise of a midi piece that I did ages ago... I could probably dig up the original if anybody is interested.
Attachments
lament.ogg.zip
(590.67 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
willis

Post by willis »

Two more... you asked for *any* ideas, right? These are just in plain old midi format, and some players seem to mess up the last two tracks of each (they're supposed to be percussion, channel 10 was percussion by default on my old keyboard), if for some reason you have trouble getting the percussion tracks to play right, just mute them.

I don't have any illusions of either of these being adopted wholesale, but I think some ideas could be extracted... Please listen all the way through, as some of the more interesting musical ideas (in my opinion) don't show up in the beginning.
Attachments
light.mid.zip
(2.75 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
filk.mid.zip
(4.79 KiB) Downloaded 511 times
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

Hi willis,

you obviously know how to do impressive things in the limits of midi... I wouldn't have suspected such rich sound when I listened to these! Now I know that midi is no excuse for the thin orchestration I set up.
willis wrote:just in plain old midi
Up until now, all submissions except for your lament were midis, and most of them were less elaborate (which is perfectly fine for displaying musical ideas, I think).
willis wrote:Is it too late to join this effort?
As West didn't fix a deadline, I'd assume he still waits for more contributions. How convenient I have another two ;)

Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
willis

Post by willis »

aquileia wrote:Hi willis,

you obviously know how to do impressive things in the limits of midi... I wouldn't have suspected such rich sound when I listened to these! Now I know that midi is no excuse for the thin orchestration I set up.
Thanks! Most of these are pieces are from way back in my teenage years when I actually had hours and hours to spend on composition. I never really showed them off much other than to family and a few friends, and they've been sitting around on backup disks for years now. On the other hand, I really don't see anything wrong with busting out a quick unrefined musical idea to post here (which I may do myself after I'm done digging around in my archives).

Here's another one - there's an interesting transition in here that is the result of a fouled up copy/paste... The opening phrases are build on a three-chord progression with a minor, a major, and another major. I was in a hurry, copy/pasted the first chord several times and then transposed it, trying to match the original progression, but in my hurry they all ended up as minor chords, resulting in a very dark and ominous sound. I couldn't let such an accident go to waste, so I filled in around it and finished off the piece in a weekend.
Attachments
MYJOURNY.MID.zip
(6.96 KiB) Downloaded 508 times
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

It's 5 a.m. here, so I'm rather tired...

Inspiration is a tricky matter - after hearing your "myjourney.mid", it sparked the idea for motif14 which I completed in four hours. On motif15 on the other hand, I hung 1 1/2 days (which also means I really should spend less time on composition, exams are coming).

Just in case anyone wants to play motif15 himself, I also attach the sheet music. As I only have access to an 18 rank organ designed by Bornefeld himself, my chances to make a nice recording are next to nothing.

By the way I realize these two have grown beyond a motif as their length is a minute each, but for uniformity's sake I won't change the names.

Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 9:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

Would anyone here be opposed to any of their stuff posted here being included in the UMC Music Books on the add-on server?
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
aquileia
Inactive Developer

Post by aquileia »

From the posted files, IMHO only those from willis really resemble a soundtrack right now - lipk, iceiceice and I rather made mockups of what could be than a final product.

As for my contributions, I am well aware that all posts on this forum are automatically assumed as complying to the GPL if not stated otherwise. No objections from me if you want to include something into UMC Music.

I may also use this post to attach some minor progress on motif15 which is WIP right now.

As a side note, the GeneralMidi sound font used by me and iceiceice is mediocre in comparison to the tools West has, so merely converting on his system may greatly improve the sound quality of the resulting ogg-files with minimal effort.

Last edited by aquileia on March 6th, 2014, 9:58 pm, edited 4 times in total.
willis

Post by willis »

Would anyone here be opposed to any of their stuff posted here being included in the UMC Music Books on the add-on server?
By all means, go ahead, as long as my name is credited - I'd love to see my music get whatever use people can make out of it. I would really like to hear a finished project if anybody has the gumption to do all of the work of picking the right samples, equalizing, and whatever other tweaking and post processing is needed to get my ideas up to Wesnoth standards.

Oh, and aquileia, I'm loving what you're doing with Motif15 - it could turn out really nice given the right pipe organ samples.
willis

Post by willis »

Four more snippets, some more filled out than others:
Attachments
willis-four-snippets.zip
(2.76 KiB) Downloaded 494 times