Wesnoth 1.11.7

Get help with compiling or installing the game, and discuss announcements of new official releases.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Wesnoth 1.11.7

Post by Iris »

Wesnoth 1.11.7 is out!

Image Image Image Image

This seventh release of the 1.11.x development branch delivers more improvements and new features aimed at both players and content creators. Some of the most notable changes in this release, in no particular order:
AI configuration fixes
AI configuration with the time_of_day aspect has been fixed in this release to compare with the current ToD’s id instead of its user-visible name (e.g. “morning” vs. “Morning”) from the [time] tag. Since the previous behavior was incorrect and mainline campaigns used ToD ids with it, this effectively fixes AI configuration for all of them.

Authors of user-made campaigns and scenarios who were already making use of this feature are strongly advised to playtest their scenarios with this version to check for potential side-effects on gameplay balance.
New recruitment engine for the AI
The default recruitment candidate action (CA) was refactored completely. It is now much more configurable for scenario editors and hopefully does a better job than the old recruitment engine. Some aspects got deprecated (“recruitment”, “recruitment_ignore_bad_combat”), some aspects are new. Also, multiple leader recruitment by the AI is now supported. See AI_Recruitment in the wiki for more details.

In addition to the modified default recruitment, it is now also possible to choose the AI “Strong AI (RCA)” in MP games (note that this only affects recruitment at this time). It uses the same recruitment CA as the default, but with different parameters. It might perform slightly better than the default in certain circumstances, but recruits more units of the same type (and might therefore be less fun to play against).

As a result of the recruitment changes, some scenarios (both single and multiplayer) may have become somewhat unbalanced. Feedback about how the new recruitment engine affects the gameplay in scenarios is needed.
Better support for multiplayer campaigns
Support for CampaignWML has been added for multiplayer, thus allowing the same campaign to be used in both multiplayer and singleplayer. As a result of this, difficulty levels and other features of singleplayer campaigns are supported in multiplayer as well. The user interface has been improved to act better upon these changes and now it supports different types of level selection and difficulties dialog for campaigns.

It is now possible (if the campaign author allows doing so) to go to the lobby in between campaign scenarios and easily modify side configuration.

In addition, there have been numerous improvements to the underlying implementation of multiplayer scenarios, which should improve overall stability and pave the way for further improvements of multiplayer campaigns.

Finally, the Legend of Wesmere campaign has been made available to play in multiplayer as a result of these changes.

NOTE: Due to changes to the server (wesnothd) protocol, multiplayer campaigns might not work correctly for older client versions connecting to a server running this release.
Son of the Black Eye rebalancing
We are currently in the process of rebalancing the campaign, making it more difficult in accordance with its status as an expert level campaign. Play-testing and feedback by others would be extremely helpful. Rebalancing has so far only been done for scenarios 1 through 3, but other scenarios are already being worked on and will be changed shortly.

As part of this process, a number of other changes and fixes have also been made. See the complete changelog for details.
Add-ons management UI improvements
In this release, new sorting options have been added to the Add-ons Manager dialog to improve its usefulness. The new options allow changing the neutral sorting criterion between By name (which continues to be the default), By last updated, and By first upload (former default in all versions prior to 1.11.0); additionally, it is possible to switch between ascending and descending order. Due to UI framework limitations, these options only take effect when no column has been marked for sorting in the add-ons list.

The Remove Add-ons dialog now displays add-ons with their real names from the add-ons server as opposed to their file/directory names with underscores removed. This is only effective for add-ons downloaded with this and future versions.

Syntax errors in .pbl files are now displayed properly in the user interface instead of being incorrectly reported as network errors.

Finally, some color key disparities between the Add-ons Manager dialog and the Description box (which were unintentionally using different shades of orange and green) have been fixed.
In-game chat log search
A search box has been added to the in-game Chat Log dialog for easy filtering of conversations during an MP match.
Game Paths dialog
A new informational Game Paths dialog has been added to the General section in Preferences to display the various resource and configuration paths used by the game. From there, the user can copy individual paths to clipboard or launch the file browser on them (currently only tested with Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X).
AnimationWML usage improvements in mainline
AnimationWML in most mainline campaigns and many core units has been updated to use the new syntax introduced in version 1.11.2.
As usual, there are many additional changes since the last development release, most of which are listed in the full changelog. There’s also an alternative players changelog including only those changes deemed to be relevant for regular players by our contributors.

Do not be disappointed if the game crashes every now and then — development versions are not intended for new and regular players in need of a stable gaming experience, who should stick to the current stable 1.10.x series instead. However, if you want to help us test what will eventually become the next stable 1.12.x series, you should definitely check it out and report to us any problems you find so they can be fixed in a timely fashion. Content authors are also encouraged to port and test their content with development versions to detect any problems with their add-ons or Wesnoth in advance.

New Developers

This release includes contributions from bumbadadabum and gfgtdf, now members of our developers team. Do you want to help shape the future of Wesnoth too? You are always free to check http://devhelp.wesnoth.org/ and join us in the #wesnoth-dev IRC channel on irc.freenode.net to ask for help for getting started!

Downloads

Source code (386.0 MB) (MD5 sum)

Xdelta from 1.11.6 (20.0 MB) (About Xdelta)

Packages for Windows and Mac OS X are already available and you can find them on the Download page in the wiki.

All known Linux packagers have been contacted, and binaries for your distribution may have already been created. Information about where to get the respective binaries or how to install them can be found on the Linux binaries page in the wiki.

Downloads for other platforms may be found on the Download page in the wiki as they become available.
The multiplayer server for 1.11.7 is up and running. This server can only be used to play with other users of 1.11.7.

The add-ons server for 1.11.x is already running. It was started with the release of 1.11.0 and it serves content for all 1.11.x versions. If you encounter any problems with add-ons not working as expected, please notify the content’s author or maintainer.

If you find any bugs, don’t hesitate to report them, but please read the instructions on how to report bugs first! As bug reports in the forums tend to be forgotten, you will get better results using our bug tracker. We require your help for finding and fixing issues, no matter how obvious, trivial or complicated they seem!

Have fun!
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Crow_T

Re: Wesnoth 1.11.7

Post by Crow_T »

Finally, the Legend of Wesmere campaign has been made available to play in multiplayer as a result of these changes.
Huzzah! Great job team, these are some solid updates.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Pressing F5 on the main screen doesn't seem to do anything. Should that still refresh the cache?
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

F5 has been broken, at least on Ubuntu, for quite some time now. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... sh#p551707
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

Crow_T wrote:F5 has been broken, at least on Ubuntu, for quite some time now. http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... sh#p551707
It works for me on Linux Mint 16 Cinnamon, so that might be a Ubuntu-specific problem.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I'm using openSUSE 12.3 here, which bears no resemblance to Ubuntu, so it's not that.

The other topic was helpful. Removing all the hotkey items from the preferences file regenerated the defaults and fixed the problem (at least for now). I put everything back the way I like it, and it still works, so it's not any specific hotkey that caused it.

Edit: I spoke too soon. It's stopped working again.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Beetlenaut what window manager are you using? I'm using MATE- if I hit F5 my desktop icons flash so it is definitely mapped to something but I can't track it down.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

I have had the issue with the F5 button recently (on Ubuntu). I believe it is caused by old preferences file, because wiping all hotkey entries from the file fixed the F5 problem.

When I lost all files and installed wesnoth (on Ubuntu again), F5 worked well too (both on 1.10.2 and 1.11.7).
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Crow_T wrote:Beetlenaut what window manager are you using?
I'm using KWin, and apparently F5 was mapped to "refresh." I changed it, but I doubt that was my problem. I've been using KWin for years and F5 in BfW 1.10 continues to work, and in 1.11 it keeps going away, seemingly at random. (I have both versions available.)
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

As Dudi said I deleted my preferences file and now it seems F5 works again. Thankfully its easy to set custom keymaps...
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Crow_T wrote:As Dudi said I deleted my preferences file and now it seems F5 works again. Thankfully its easy to set custom keymaps...
I've done this three times now, and it's getting tedious. It may end up being a choice between having the keys I want and having F5 work.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
SkyOne

Post by SkyOne »

By the way, just an announcement:
- this version works on Mac OSX 10.5.8 (after not on BfW 1.11.4 - 1.11.6).

Thank you, Alarantalara. :Awesome:
Fate of a Princess/feedback thread: "What is in own heart that is the most important, not who you are."
Drake Campaign: Brave Wings/feedback thread, Naga Campaign: Return of the Monster, Saurian Campaign: Across the Ocean
Northern Forces - now on 1.12 server
xazax

Post by xazax »

There is a crash issue in the Heir to the Throne campaign which is fixed in trunk. When is it planned to release a new development version? (Interesting for those who downloaded this version and stuck in the campaing because that crash issue.)
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

It is Ready when it is Ready™.
Spoiler:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
taptap

Post by taptap »

The changes are amazing. I have the AI banking all of a sudden and suddenly have to rethink a lot, I may even have to abandon my challenge run, because the AI got so much better. :shock:
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.