Imperial Era Art Project (Workin' on Orcin')

Make art for user-made content.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Temuchin Khan

Re: Imperial Era Art Project (Workin' on Orcin')

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Amorphous wrote:Sorry for the slow progress! I've been running into a lot of complications recently. I was actually planning on posting an essentially finished Paegnirius and Feral Bestiarius, but a family member accidentally deleted a lot of my files a few days ago, so I've lost a lot of motivation for working on pixel art in general. Ah, well, that's life for you.
That's a shame! I liked your take on my Orcs.
Here's a slight update on the attack animation. I could probably stand to exaggerate the windup even more, and there's a lot of smoothing out to do. However, the overall motion of the animation is pretty much there, so I think I can start fleshing it out soon.
Looks good to me.
UnwiseOwl

Post by UnwiseOwl »

Hey guys,
Seeking permission to include some art in the next IE release:
Amorphous' Pugnator and Bestiarius.
Freeforestify's Paeginarius and Bestiarius.
They may look odd alongside the current art but they're so good that it seems a waste not to use them.
Maintainer of the Imperial Era and the campaigns Dreams of Urduk, Epic of Vaniyera, Up from Slavery, Fall of Silvium, Alfhelm the Wise and Gali's Contract.
But perhaps 'maintainer' is too strong a word.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

UnwiseOwl wrote:Hey guys,
Seeking permission to include some art in the next IE release:
Amorphous' Pugnator and Bestiarius.
Freeforestify's Paeginarius and Bestiarius.
They may look odd alongside the current art but they're so good that it seems a waste not to use them.
I'd be all for it, but what do Amorphous and Freeforestify say?
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Sounds good to me!
freeforestify

Post by freeforestify »

It would be an honor :D

I'll work on them right now... it was time to long that i did not
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Hey all! Just popping in quick for a small update on spritely matters - sorry I haven't been around in forever. I haven't been completely idle, but I don't have much to show for it except some half-finished baseframes (bottom left). I'm not sure when I'll find the time and motivation to finish these, but until then, thoughts on anything are much appreciated! :)
Attachments
wipfail.png
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Amorphous wrote:Hey all! Just popping in quick for a small update on spritely matters - sorry I haven't been around in forever. I haven't been completely idle, but I don't have much to show for it except some half-finished baseframes (bottom left). I'm not sure when I'll find the time and motivation to finish these, but until then, thoughts on anything are much appreciated! :)
I continue to be pleased with your new Orcei sprites and would love to see them in the game! Unfortunately, I haven't heard from Unwise Owl in months, and I'm pretty busy myself right now, so I don't know when that would happen. In the meantime, keep up the good work and don't be too concerned about the timetable!
Rbuck

Post by Rbuck »

The two lizards there have distinctly different styles (I can't tell which one I like better, though :) )
That's really about all I can see, all the other sprites are quite nice!
A paintbrush is worth a thousand swords.
The average pen is equal to a sword, but a picture paints a thousand words.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Rbuck wrote:The two lizards there have distinctly different styles....
That's because he posted the old lizard for comparison. The more compact one is the old one.

Personally, I like the new lizard better. But then, I've consistently liked Amorphous' work on my Orcei Gladiatores.
ChaosRider

Post by ChaosRider »

Old lizard as for me looks like a author was trying to create it from chameleon picture, the new one looks for me more as a "goanna" ---> "Waran" in my language:

https://www.google.pl/search?q=goanna+g ... l&tbm=isch

Wish to see also animation for this units :P, that could be great if each of images were done like that.
Creator of WOTG (+2880 units), MWC (+615 units), SurvivorsArea, RandomColosseum, RC WOTG, RC MWC, ColosseumRandomClonesBattle, BetweenDarknessAndLight, StealingWeapons, MoreUnitsForms, MoreDamageTypes, CanBeOnlyOne, ColosseumOneWinner, BonusSpam, CriticalStrike - available at 1.12 Wesnoth server.
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Bump time!

I haven't done a lot since posting last, but UnwiseOwl has been keeping up the slack and managed to prod me out of my laziness for the time being.

Attached are transparent .pngs (i.e. ready for use in the game) of the Bestiarius, Paegniarius, and Piscator, as well as an update on the giant mess of other orc stuff, and also some ideas I had for the Issaelfr, or ice elves. Sorry for the huge images!

Thoughts appreciated, even though these are all really unrefined. Hopefully I'll be updating again soon!
Attachments
wipfail.png
iceelves.png
piscator.png
piscator.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
bestiarius.png
bestiarius.png (3.22 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
paegniarius.png
paegniarius.png (3.59 KiB) Viewed 6294 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The swordsman under the cavalryman, or on the very bottom row, is nice, has a good "iconic gladiator" design fitting for a sprite. Something seems off about his shield though - maybe his arm is too short, or the shield should be farther forward, or it should have more highlights on the front edge?
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

These new cleaned-up versions of the Issaelfr are all much nicer than their originals, good work on that. I'm kind of having trouble figuring out which of the sprites in the orc sheet are the most finalized versions, though. Keep up the good work!
Amorphous

Post by Amorphous »

Quick update on the orcs. Thanks for replying, doofus and Zero. :)
doofus-01 wrote:The swordsman under the cavalryman, or on the very bottom row, is nice, has a good "iconic gladiator" design fitting for a sprite. Something seems off about his shield though
Yeah, I think the helmet helps with the gladiator look -- something that's kind of lacking in the other units to greater and lesser extents. You're also right that the shield isn't quite right; I messed with it, but I can't tell if it's any better. Additionally adjusted his ("Murmillo" is the unit name, btw) stance to try and emphasize aggressiveness.
Zerovirus wrote:I'm kind of having trouble figuring out which of the sprites in the orc sheet are the most finalized versions, though. Keep up the good work!
Ahh, yeah, that pic's a total mess, sorry. The new one's a bit more organized -- the sprites in the box are current, and everything else is just junk.

I tried giving the Bestiarius a new helmet to help rectify aforesaid lack of gladiator-ness. Otherwise I just played with a few things; not a ton of progress besides that yet, sorry.
Attachments
wipfail (1).png
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

The lizard head in the lower right is really solid, are you planning on using that one?