Era descriptions

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

lipk

Era descriptions

Post by lipk »

Hello people,

In Wesnoth 1.11.x, eras can already have descriptions. Well, they could, but they don't! I'm asking for your precious help to write them some.

This what I've got so far:
Default Era: "The standard era for Wesnoth multiplayer. Consists of six factions and is generally balanced."
Age of Heroes: "An era with higher level units: level three leaders, with level one and two units available for recruit. Consists of six factions. Not considered balanced."
johndh

Re: Era descriptions

Post by johndh »

Personally, I'd prefer to leave subjective judgments out of any official descriptions, except maybe labeling the default era as generally considered to be balanced and consistent so players know that it's the official era that they can count on to give them the Wesnoth experience. If this thread is still needed after November ends, I'll be happy to contribute some prose for it (and I might anyway, if I get stuck while writing my novel).
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

I think its good to state that age of heroes is not thought to be balanced, since it is a mainline era so some may asume it meets some standard of balance.

Also I don't think the fact that it isn't balanced is controversial or subjective.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Personally, I'd prefer to leave subjective judgments out of any official descriptions.
I agree, but it's not my subjective opinion that AoH is unbalanced, it's pretty much a flat fact. (Since nobody ever took any effort to balance it, and I think we can safely assume that it wasn't accidentally created perfect).
If this thread is still needed after November ends, I'll be happy to contribute some prose for it
The only deadline we have is the string freeze before 1.12, but that's way into the future at this point.

EDIT: Since there isn't much discussion going on, I committed the above two descriptions. Improvements/replacements are still welcome.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Or should we write era descriptions based in Wesnoth lore? Something like this:

Default Era: A multilayer era reflecting the political situation during the reign of the evil Queen Asheviere.
johndh

Post by johndh »

Temuchin Khan wrote:Or should we write era descriptions based in Wesnoth lore? Something like this:

Default Era: A multilayer era reflecting the political situation during the reign of the evil Queen Asheviere.
We could do both. E.g. "Default Era: A multiplayer era reflecting the struggles and alliances during the reign of the evil Queen Asheviere. Also the standard and official era for Wesnoth multiplayer. Consists of six factions and is generally considered to be balanced."
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Yeah, both is better. A large portion of MP players don't play SP at all and thus they aren't familiar with the canon.
Temuchin Khan

Post by Temuchin Khan »

Both is definitely better.