Coolest Faction (keep it nerdy)

General feedback and discussion of the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Crow_T

Coolest Faction (keep it nerdy)

Post by Crow_T »

I'm curious to what others think is the coolest faction in the game. This is based on:
1) Visual Appeal
2) Story/History
3) Fun to use
4) General Bad A**ery.
5) How would you make them even better?

My pick: The Aragwaith- I mean c'mon, they are the Heavy Metal of Wesnoth: http://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php ... 65#p529349
(Of course undead are the Death Metal, Orcs are drum heavy tribal, Loyalists are Classical, and Elves are jazz, Outlaws country, and Dwarves are I don't know- top 20 pop I suppose.)

They are one of the factions you really want to use more often, they look so cool! They are rugged survivors, living in the outer harsh regions of Wesnoth, weather worn and tough as nails.

To improve I'd add more female units, I picture them as nomads so they all move together and fight together.

Let's keep it friendly and light, only what you like is allowed- no faction bashing!
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Re: Coolest Faction (keep it nerdy)

Post by Velensk »

I really like the Knalgans though I don't know much about story per say. Of course I'm partial to dwarves but even among the mass of UMC dwarf factions I still prefer the original alliance. Of all the mainline factions I find them the funnest as well though difficult to use well for 1vs1s.

Of course if I have to choose a non-mainline factions, that's a tricky one. Probably the Halflings. If I have to choose one I didn't design the Nightmares are really cool as well. The Halflings have a unique style to them and it's very fun to destroy enemies much bigger and stronger than yourself in a way that's pretty plausible. I also like the simple folk. On the other side, the Nightmares are bizarre in a lot of ways and I have no idea how I'd use them in a campaign but both in the way they look and how it is playing against them, they live up to their name. Despite being pretty balanced they can give you a headache trying to remember everything they can do to you and how to best counteract it.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
wolkenwand

Post by wolkenwand »

Based on visual appeal category and badassery i think its drakes. the clasher are very strong and intimidating. he can almost defeat another level 1 melee unit single handedly unless you out-numbered it or using ranged unit, whenever i see one on the battlefield there are tense feeling arouse. drake flare and fire drake also appealing visually, and it can almost can make charcoal out of a full health unit within one turn in daylight.
In music version drakes are percussion instruments :)
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

drakes = baller hiphop
saurian augur = bob marley? esp. the level 2's :)
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

Coolest faction? Definitely the Aragwaithi. They aren't drawn with as much detail as the mainline units, but their sprites look very dynamic. Even when not moving, they have so much movement in their pose.
Crow_T wrote:(Of course undead are the Death Metal, Orcs are drum heavy tribal, Loyalists are Classical, and Elves are jazz, Outlaws country, and Dwarves are I don't know- top 20 pop I suppose.)
Spoiler:
Astoria
Inactive Developer

Post by Astoria »

In mainline, I like Rebels the most. I don't know why, but I've always liked them.

Outside of mainline, it probably has to be the Aragwaithi. That and the Chaos. I've liked those factions since they first came out, and they still belong to my favorites.
Spoiler:
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Dugi

Post by Dugi »

In mainline, I like Rebels the most. I don't know why, but I've always liked them.
From the mainline ones, I like Rebels the most too.
Spoiler:
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Considering UMC....My choice is always the Aragwaithi.
From the default era, I like Loyalists the most, but the Lieutenant sucks...So, I always pick Swordsman as the leader.
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
iceiceice

Post by iceiceice »

iceiceice wrote: drakes = baller hiphop
Realized that this comment of mine, like so many others, probably makes no sense to people. In my mind, when clashers are stabbing you at day and burners are roasting all of your skeletons, that is like when Michael Jordan is slam dunking on you.

(Also in usa pop culture, baller = basketballer, approximately, although its a bit more than that)
Major
Art Contributor

Post by Major »

The Loyalists for the same reason I preffered the Uruk-Hai in LotR and the Humans in Avatar.
I <3 uniform armoured soldiers and lots of them.
Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
TheCripple

Post by TheCripple »

The Undead, Khalifate, and Desert Elves are all up there for me. The first two aren't surprising, given that the Undead are basically stacks of big guns used to beat the snot out of everything with extreme prejudice, with some fairly solid art throughout (particularly for the wraith), and the Khalifate are a welcome addition as a non-European faction who sport a non-magical healer better than the elves and a guy with a flamethrower. The desert elves are the odd ones out, but something about backstab rangers and bola throwers just works for me.
Kymille

Post by Kymille »

To pick something different from the UMCs: Lavinian Legion. Great art, great concept, a different flavor of play than the usual wesnoth factions.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

Undead are great fun to play, plus you get the sadistic satisfaction of being the bad guy. I do think undead are a very cool faction and graphically are very appealing as well.

I have to be honest, one of the most satisfying groups to play is trolls, just for the sounds of clubs and hammers smashing opponents, then the healing sound from regeneration. :geek: I'm always happy when I can recruit whelps. I guess the aural portion of the game is a big factor too
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

From mainline, I really liked it when I got to play with Northerners in SotBE: screw magic, agility, dexterity, whatever - just plain hacking n' slashing ' smashing all fools who stood on my way :-P Also, I have a tendency of rooting for the underdog, so it's nice to take orcs to glory sometimes :-) I'd say they combine more with heavy metal, though, maybe Rammstein: pure rage :-P

From UMC, certainly the Windsong. They're just so beautiful with their priestess-like garments and long, flowing hair :-) I also like the exotic feel they have, specially with their background History. Gameplay-wise, they're indeed hard to use for those who don't know them, but as you get used to them, they become a very strong faction - scribes and savants with magical slowing attacks, the war-tanks known as warmongers, swift, strong and resilient couriers, reavers and dreadnoughts; the emissaries, with their charging attack that is a bane to any archer or mage; and the incredibly badass gatekeeper line. I mean, come on, how many units in all of Wesnoth can cause you +20 damage with their bare hands and still have high resistance against physical attacks? :-P
Their soundtrack, to me, would be something exotic, southern-European/Middle-Eastern sounding, like this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Be3wFQfYCM
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Chief_Chasso

Post by Chief_Chasso »

revansurik wrote:From mainline, I really liked it when I got to play with Northerners in SotBE: screw magic, agility, dexterity, whatever - just plain hacking n' slashing ' smashing all fools who stood on my way Also, I have a tendency of rooting for the underdog, so it's nice to take orcs to glory sometimes
I agree with you here. ;) Orcs are a great faction- awesome, brute units. I also like the Goblin Pillager, but I'm not sure if that's part of the Orc faction or if Goblins have their own faction. GP's are a dread to fight against, but plain sweetness to have on your side. Either way, I consider Goblins to be akin to industrial rock.
SP Campaign: Rally For Roanic