People of the Green Isle

For writers working on documentation, story prose, announcements, and all kinds of Wesnoth text.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elfarion

Re: People of the Green Isle

Post by Elfarion »

johndh wrote:The problem here is that if Washraha isn't the iron-fisted dominator of the coast, then what is keeping Haldric et al. from fleeing south instead of east?
If the fishermen who later emigrated to the Green Isle lived at the northern coast of the Southern Continent and the Washraha lived south of them, then they would have to get past the Washraha in attempt to find a new home. Also they would know that the Washrahan civilisation is the most powerful of the Southern Continent and eventually they would be raided again, because the Washrahan warrior caste is permanently looking for targets.
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

johndh wrote:
The problem here is that if Washraha isn't the iron-fisted dominator of the coast, then what is keeping Haldric et al. from fleeing south instead of east?

If the fishermen who later emigrated to the Green Isle lived at the northern coast of the Southern Continent and the Washraha lived south of them, then they would have to get past the Washraha in attempt to find a new home. Also they would know that the Washrahan civilisation is the most powerful of the Southern Continent and eventually they would be raided again, because the Washrahan warrior caste is permanently looking for targets.
The Chomi who migrated to the Green Isle would have taken with then stories about the violence of the Washraha and the danger of the Deshra; these stories could have well survived until Haldric's time, probably even being exaggerated a little (or a lot), and so he decided to avoid Arajunna - after all, Haldric was leading a band of refugees, and so he had to go to the safest possible place.
Author of the Dragon Trilogy.

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I see, I didn't understand johndh correctly...
revansurik's explanation makes sense to me. Stories geht preserved and change. So a few generations after the eimigration the South would be inhabited by giants, cannibals and other horrible people in the stories of the Islefolk.
- Sergej Lukianenko
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

So, have we reached a final draft of the history of the Islefolk's ancestors?

If you enjoyed A Song of Fire, War of the Jewel, Aria of the Dragon-Slayer and Soldier of Wesnoth, you may like my new project: Star of Chaos, a science-fiction mystery/adventure intended to be a trilogy
;-)
johndh

Post by johndh »

It's FOSS game development. There's no such thing as a final draft. :wink: Anyway, I can write more if necessary once I'm settled in to my new job and dwelling, but I think we've got a pretty good handle on things for now.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

I think so too. The Islefolk's background seems consistent and fixed. When will we start working on the Southern Continent? :wink:
- Sergej Lukianenko
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Elfarion wrote:The Islefolk's background seems consistent and fixed.
Could one of you folks write up a complete draft then? Doesn't need to be polished or anything, just something which contains all the information. It's pretty ackward to try to piece it together from so many posts.
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

When will we start working on the Southern Continent? :wink:
Anytime you want; I've got a few ideas already about other peoples of Arajunna... :-D

Could one of you folks write up a complete draft then? Doesn't need to be polished or anything, just something which contains all the information. It's pretty ackward to try to piece it together from so many posts.
Here goes the timeline I've organized, alongside the description of the peoples involved:

Spoiler:

PS.: I have a little suggestion: is it possible to change the name of the Old Continent to Argea? Kanzil, Knightmare and I call the Old Continent like this in the Pre-Wesnoth timeline we've created for our campaigns; I'm suggesting it because 'Argea' is shorter and more practical. It's annoying to keep writing 'Old Continent' all the time'. ;-)

;-)
johndh

Post by johndh »

revansurik wrote:
When will we start working on the Southern Continent? :wink:
Anytime you want; I've got a few ideas already about other peoples of Arajunna... :-D
Perhaps it would be better to write a short story set in the south or on the old continent as the next step in the process, as that will help find what lore does and doesn't work in practice, and it will also give the common folk something to read. For some reason, not everyone likes reading scholarly discussions of fictional societies as much as they like stories. Go figure. :hmm:
Also, a story could potentially serve as the basis for a campaign if some ambitious and talented soul sought to make it so.
It's spelled "definitely", not "definately". "Defiantly" is a different word entirely.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

johndh wrote:Perhaps it would be better to write a short story set in the south or on the old continent as the next step in the process, as that will help find what lore does and doesn't work in practice, and it will also give the common folk something to read.
Nice idea! I would even do it, if I was'nt working on two other short storys and a novel right now. Plus, university starts in ten days. *Sigh* Just not enough time...
- Sergej Lukianenko
johndh

Post by johndh »

I've got some biggish projects coming up at work, but I might see if I can come up with a short story as a warmup to Nanowrimo once I get a non-handheld computer again. However, I'd be more interested in seeing what someone else could come up with based on the "established" southern lore, since that'll give a good idea of what can be made from it without the million unwritten things I have in my head.
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

How is it going? Is there any news about the wiki being changed or something?
- Sergej Lukianenko
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

I've got some biggish projects coming up at work, but I might see if I can come up with a short story as a warmup to Nanowrimo once I get a non-handheld computer again. However, I'd be more interested in seeing what someone else could come up with based on the "established" southern lore, since that'll give a good idea of what can be made from it without the million unwritten things I have in my head.
I am busy with university studies and with my new campaign - hell, I didnt log in these forums for more than a week :shock: - so I too can't write much more on Arajunna. :? All I have in mind right now is a character for a future campaign that is from Arajunna, but until this campaign is released it'll take many months ;-)
How is it going? Is there any news about the wiki being changed or something?
I have been wondering the same thing... :hmm:

;-)
revansurik

Post by revansurik »

So, it's been a while since the last post :-)
Well, at this height I think we have the peoples of Arajunna well-defined; thus, I'm planning to turn the Washraha, the Chomi and the Deshra into actual factions, which I plan on including in my campaign War of the Jewel (together with Arajunna itself).
That's how I'm planning the units:
-The Chomi should be light-armoured foot soldiers, somewhat frail (low hp and vulnerable to physical attacks), but with high level of terrain defence; they also have boatsmen and rely a lot on ranged attacks.
-The Washraha, being more warlike, have sturdier units with strong attacks, but lesser terrain defence than the Chomi. I've planned three kinds of unit for them: a spearman line (with the lvl 3 having a blade attack), a swordsman line and an archer line. They shouldn't have much variety, since they don't know horses (there are no horses in Arajunna, right?); they also find it more honourable to fight in melee combat.
-The Deshra, being giants, have huge hp and strong (though not numerous) attacks (I'm planning on giving one of their units an Area of Effect weapon special), beside being very resistant to all kinds of attack, but they have little terrain defence.

I'm also thinking about what kind of name I should give the units; johndh, did you have any specific language/culture in mind when you imagined the Washraha and the Deshra? 'Cause I'm thinking of searching up African (Berber/Yoruba/Ashanti) words and names for those units...
BTW, I'm placing some sprites as attachments; I've picked them from the factions in the Ageless Era (if I'm abusing of borrowing art from other factions, please let me know; I'm not a good drawer, so all I can do is borrow from others :oops: )
Attachments
This is a Chomi boatsman
This is a Chomi boatsman
canoe.png (2.58 KiB) Viewed 12301 times
This is a high level Washrasa spearman
This is a high level Washrasa spearman
tomb_protector.png (3.76 KiB) Viewed 12301 times
This is a high level Deshra warrior; I think I'll increase the sprite's size, so that they'll actually look like giants
This is a high level Deshra warrior; I think I'll increase the sprite's size, so that they'll actually look like giants
ancientcyclop.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 12301 times

;-)
johndh

Post by johndh »

revansurik wrote:So, it's been a while since the last post :-)
Well, at this height I think we have the peoples of Arajunna well-defined; thus, I'm planning to turn the Washraha, the Chomi and the Deshra into actual factions, which I plan on including in my campaign War of the Jewel (together with Arajunna itself).
That's how I'm planning the units:
-The Chomi should be light-armoured foot soldiers, somewhat frail (low hp and vulnerable to physical attacks), but with high level of terrain defence; they also have boatsmen and rely a lot on ranged attacks.
-The Washraha, being more warlike, have sturdier units with strong attacks, but lesser terrain defence than the Chomi. I've planned three kinds of unit for them: a spearman line (with the lvl 3 having a blade attack), a swordsman line and an archer line. They shouldn't have much variety, since they don't know horses (there are no horses in Arajunna, right?); they also find it more honourable to fight in melee combat.
-The Deshra, being giants, have huge hp and strong (though not numerous) attacks (I'm planning on giving one of their units an Area of Effect weapon special), beside being very resistant to all kinds of attack, but they have little terrain defence.
That all sounds good with what I've imagined, with a few exceptions and additions.

I like your concept of the Chomi as a guerrilla faction. I think it fits them to have units that move quickly through terrain and ambush their enemies. Probably they could have some skirmisher, backstabbing, and camouflaged specials.

Since the Washraha have to fight the Deshra and got their name from being able to cut them down, it seems like they should have a line of units with heavy weaponry. The Chinese of antiquity had several anti-cavalry weapons, such as the pudao or "horse cutter", which were meant to be able to cut the front legs out from under a charging horse. Such a weapon would be useful against a giant, since it has superb chopping power and decent reach, and the brute strength behind it fits the Washrahan elite warrior culture. Also, for some reason, axes have been ingrained in my image of Washrahan warriors since the beginning for some reason. I'm not sure if it's the connection with Vikings or if it's just trying to defy the "black people from the desert always use spears and scimitars" cliché. I'd go with axes for one of the lines since an axeman with a shield could be a well-balanced fighter, having decent attack and defense with a ranged option. Perhaps the knee-cutter could be a level 3 unit that branches off from one of the other lines? Washrahan warriors might view archery as either cowardly or pedestrian, so if they have archers then they would probably be their "weakest" units (the peasants and slaves who can't handle a real weapon) but maybe make up for it with dishonorable tactics. In their general appearance, my mental image of Washrahan visual style is inspired by Assyrian art -- the beards, the cool hats, the armor, etc. So I guess that would give us the following lines for the Washraha (just a rough draft idea, not carved in stone or anything):
Spearman 1 -> Spearman 2 -> Spearman 3 (defensive line)
Swordsman -> Elite Swordsman -> Champion Swordsman (heavy attack line)
Axeman 1 -> Axeman 2 -> Axeman 3 (balanced infantry line with ranged attack)
Archer 1 -> Archer 2 -> Archer 3 (ranged line)

I had wondered how to go about making the Deshra into a faction, as even the most basic one would probably be level 2. :hmm: I'm also imagining that the Deshra have some kind of shamanistic connection with the elements and have tamed beasts at their disposal, like hyenas and snakes, as well as a shaman line with earth- and wind-based attacks. I don't think the Washraha should have any magic since they value brute strength too much and isolate themselves from others, but maybe the Chomi would develop it later on after learning it from the Deshra. The idea here is kind of a reversal of the annoying "ethnic magician" trope.
I'm also thinking about what kind of name I should give the units; johndh, did you have any specific language/culture in mind when you imagined the Washraha and the Deshra? 'Cause I'm thinking of searching up African (Berber/Yoruba/Ashanti) words and names for those units...
I've actually tried to avoid making any of them "just like Africa/[other real-world culture]" because that feels cheap. So far I've incorporated (intentionally or otherwise) elements of African, Indian, Native American, and Viking culture and probably others that I can't think of right now. Just as Wesnoth isn't "that European analog", Arajunna should not be "that African analog". I hope that makes sense. :hmm:
BTW, I'm placing some sprites as attachments; I've picked them from the factions in the Ageless Era (if I'm abusing of borrowing art from other factions, please let me know; I'm not a good drawer, so all I can do is borrow from others :oops: )
I'm not really qualified to comment on sprites, as I have zero pixel art skills myself.