The White Troll (1.1.0) - 1.16 Campaign

Discussion and development of scenarios and campaigns for the game.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Hunter

Re: The White Troll (0.7.5) - 1.10 Campaign

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

mithc wrote:That's all I noticed before the first scenario, sorry if it seems like I pointed out a lot. I am a native English speaker however, and everything I pointed out either sounded awkward or looked like it could use some improving with the sentence structure.
You shouldn't be sorry. Corrections from native speakers are always valuable, so thank you! :)
mithc wrote:The campaign was 9/10 in being fun, the only reason it wasn't a 10 for me was due to the two scenarios I talked about and how ridiculously hard they seemed to be.
I'm currently replaying the campaign on Hard, and I found several points where the difficult may be improved: for example, I'm planning to lower side 2 gold to 175 in Outpost. Once that I finished replaying, we'll discuss my proposed modifications, as well as uploading for the 1.11 series.
Current maintainer of these add-ons, all on 1.16:
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
zepko

Post by zepko »

@ mithc: thank you for your notes, they are more than welcome, I'm glad you enjoyed playing.
I'd be curious to know one thing: do you remember approximately how many units (and their level) you could save in scenario 5? I think the scenario is a good opportunity to level up some elves, but if players find it too difficult maybe I'm wrong...
mithc

Post by mithc »

@Elvish_Hunter: Alright that'd be great, I would be glad to help in any way I can. :)

@zepko: I managed to save an elvish hero and an elvish archer that was about to level up. I was really hard pressed in that level as the enemies always outnumbered my forces 2 or 3 to 1 at all times, so on an unlucky turn they would just decimate my forces and on a lucky turn it would still be 2 to 1. I think that scenario 5 decimates your forces rather than as a build-up scenario. I think that scenario 7 is the build-up scenario, because the player can use the trolls or the summons to take the brunt of the damage while the elves clean up or vice versa with the trolls.

I also have a text file with even more proposed text and dialogue fixes, would you like me to send them to you in a PM?
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

mithc wrote:I also have a text file with even more proposed text and dialogue fixes, would you like me to send them to you in a PM?
You can just attach it in this topic. :)
The Sojournings of Grog, Children of Dragons, A Rough Life, Wesnoth Lua Pack, The White Troll (co-author)
mithc

Post by mithc »

Alright here is the text file with the proposed text edits. I tried to make the edits as clear as possible, I also included the original text with them so it would be clear what I changed, I pulled the original text from the game files. If you have any questions on any changes or want to know why the change was made then feel free to ask. :)

EDIT: The first text file was an older copy of my proposed text edits. The one attached to the post now is the most recent file.
Attachments
White Troll Text Edits.txt
(2.96 KiB) Downloaded 440 times
EZE

Post by EZE »

When I got to #7 and saw no units to recall, I got confused. Thankfully I found this official topic.
zepko wrote: The Outpost - This is intentionally hard, but it should let you level up some elves, useful in the next scenarios. In scenario 7 you can recall the units that you managed to save, i.e. those you moved to the tent before Galagor, as explained in the objectives.
Clash in the forest - As I told before, Galagor can recall units if you saved them.
I wasn't sure how this worked, so I made a "just in case" save before scenario ended. Now that I open it up I found the small print on the scenario objectives. How about adding an extra dialogue when the bridge goes up to explain they have to go on the tent, and not just cross the bridge?

I'll do a full review after replaying #6 again and finishing campaign.

Edit:
What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the campaign on?
Normal, 1.10.3

How difficult did you find the campaign? (1-10)
7. I had to re-load a few times each level.

How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
They were pretty clear, except for #5 and #3. In Back Home I killed every goblin "in the cave", but one was still alive outside so I had to restart from the beginning and hunt them down better.

How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenarios?
I liked how it all fit together.

What were your major challenges in completing the scenarios?
#1 - just finding a spot to fight, constantly got wiped out and had to restart.
#4 - staying away from heavy infantry
#8 - keeping blue team alive, since they were so broke

How fun do you think the campaign is? (1-10)
This thing was a meat grinder, but AMLA was a big bonus. Summoning was also cool. 7

What, if any, are changes you would have made to the campaign to make it more fun?
Make AMLA apply to more units, such as Brandir and Urgh at the least.

I enjoyed it overall, Thank You
Elvish_Hunter

Re: The White Troll (1.0.0) - 1.11 Campaign

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

After a long time, we managed to port the campaign to the Wesnoth 1.11 series. So, this post announces the release of version 1.0.0 of White Troll! Why 1.0.0? Because the campaign is complete and playable from start to end.
These are the changes so far:
Spoiler:
As usual, please report any bug that you find. Have fun! 8)
rmj

Post by rmj »

An interesting, entertaining campaign.

Here are some suggested changes for the dialog of the first three scenarios:
Spoiler:
rmj
zepko

Post by zepko »

@rmj: Thank you for your notes, we will go through them.

From today version 1.0.0 is available also for Wesnoth 1.10, including (almost) all the updates and fixes.
Andrettin

Re: The White Troll (1.0.0) - 1.10/1.11 Campaign

Post by Andrettin »

I began playing this campaign and saw some things which could be improved in the dialogue of the first mission (I am playing Wesnoth 1.10.7).

Melime says: "But he is only a whelp, Hunthor! He has no guilts!"

"Guilt" is uncountable, so it cannot be plural - a person can have a lot of guilt, but they cannot have "many guilts". As such, I suggest changing the bolded phrase to "He has no guilt!".

Hunthor says: "Phew! I know his race and I know what they can do. Trolls have slaughtered my father and my brother, without showing any mercy, why should I behave differently? Until I am alive, no troll will wander freely in my village!"

"Phew!" is an exclamation of relief, which seems to me to not be what you wanted to express here. "Ha!" would probably work better. I also suggest changing "Until I am alive" to "As long as I am alive".

Brandir says: "Hunthor will be back. His hatred and fury have made him lose his mind. Maybe I should have killed him."

Hatred and fury are near-synonyms, and consequently there is little reason to have both there at the same time. I suggest changing it to "His hatred has made him lose his mind."

I liked the premise of the story quite a bit, and am enjoying the campaign :)
Elvish_Hunter

Post by Elvish_Hunter »

rmj, Andrettin : thanks for your suggestions. I just uploaded a new version (1.0.1) on the 1.11 server; this one contains your corrections, as well as some fixes for a few AI deprecation warnings in the second scenario. As soon as he can, zepko will backport these updates to the 1.10 branch. :)
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Sounds like an interesting campaign!
Elvish_Hunter wrote:new version (1.0.1) ... As soon as he can, zepko will backport these updates to the 1.10 branch. :)
I'll wait for that.
I have a cunning plan.
zepko

Re: The White Troll (1.0.1) - 1.10/1.11 Campaign

Post by zepko »

nuorc wrote: I'll wait for that.
Ready! Version 1.0.1 is available on the 1.10 server.
Enjoy and have fun! :)
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

Just dl'ed it.

First thing I noticed: the addon icon shows a grey troll? :wink:

Edit: I try to hack & slay my way through on easy... I had to figure out who of my heroes can recruit. I didn't get the AMLA bit at first, so I probably wasted some xp. I generally like it so far. Fighting and maps are interesting (meaning I had to go back a few times).

I like the story so far, although it probably wouldn't hurt if someone like a skilled native speaker would polish over the text. I also thought that some elves were very disrespectful and rude, while I imagined them to have a more diplomatic tone.

And I didn't really get this:
wt-outpost.jpg
wt-outpost.jpg (10.95 KiB) Viewed 6082 times
Nice work!
I have a cunning plan.
zepko

Post by zepko »

nuorc wrote: First thing I noticed: the addon icon shows a grey troll? :wink:
Use your imagination :wink:
nuorc wrote: I didn't get the AMLA bit at first, so I probably wasted some xp.
I strongly suggest that you advance your two heroes with AMLAs as much as possible, since in next scenarios it's almost mandatory to have them as powerful fighters.
nuorc wrote: I like the story so far, although it probably wouldn't hurt if someone like a skilled native speaker would polish over the text. I also thought that some elves were very disrespectful and rude, while I imagined them to have a more diplomatic tone.
Sure it wouldn't hurt, and any native speaker willing to suggest any improvement would be more than welcome. Also, Hunthor is supposed to be harsh in his speech, while Brandir and Galagor are wiser and more respectful.
nuorc wrote: And I didn't really get this:
That's supposed to mean you have to resist for 25 turns, after which something will happen and the objective will change. And the "show_turn_counter" command shows the overall amount of turns.
nuorc wrote: Nice work!
Thanks! :lol2: