A lot of terrain-graphics

Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
rubberduck

Re: A lot of terrain-graphics

Post by rubberduck »

i made another version now it looks more like the ice-ground (also color is more like this)
Attachments
icebridge-before-after.png
icebridge-before-after.png (70.75 KiB) Viewed 6094 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

If the change is purely colorshifting, it can be implemented using only ImagePathFunctionWML, so no need for actual images in that case.
Wussel

Post by Wussel »

The color shift function is very limited and the color blend function is experimental in 1.11. I am sure he is using saturation, contrast and hue too. There is ice hanging from the bridge. But for the mountains and hills or in general an exotic cave this color shift would be cool. For emulating ice, I am really not convinced. Would be cool to finally get an artist to give his opinion.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Wussel wrote:The color shift function is very limited and the color blend function is experimental in 1.11.
~BLEND() is not experimental. The internal API used is the same that’s used by the implementation of the blend_color/blend_ratio AnimationWML feature that was already present in at least 1.8.x and 1.10.x.

If you mean that it is only present in 1.11.x, well, new mainline terrains may only be added to development versions anyway.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

there i have the newest ice-cave-graphics, say what you think about it,
say what looks not good or unrealistic because that can help me to make better graphics

please code them, so that you can see, how it looks in the game (because i don't know how to do this)
Attachments
ice-cave-new.tar.gz
(769.45 KiB) Downloaded 509 times
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

vultraz wrote:The thing about those ice graphics is that they are literally just the original images hue-shifted to blue. The cave floor never made much sense, since in any case, water on the cave floor would have frozen, meaning the ice terrain could just be used. ...
No, the ice graphics made perfect sense (though you are correct that they were colour-shifted, except for the 'out-of-bounds' regions, which I made white, even though Eleazar said they should be black. He never explained why and I didn't get it, so it was dead-in-the-water and there you go.)

Yes, a lot of the graphics in Archaic Era/Resources have problematic transitions. Taking care of all transitions is a soul-sucking pain in the ass, so I went with the philosophy of 'Can I draw a map that works?', rather than 'Does everything I carelessly do with the Map Editor work?' The latter is a reasonable standard for mainline, but we can have fun outside of mainline, I hope.

The rails & rail transitions are cool, but maybe they deserve their own thread?

Rubber duck: If you are not willing to try to understand the terrain-graphics coding, this will be a problem. The needed image files are slaved to the markup language, so it can't be separated like that. Other sections of the graphics, such as portraits, can be independent of the code, but not terrain graphics.

EDIT: Edited to be more informative, hopefully.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

last days i made a pause / break, but the next days i want to code these graphics
so i want to code it first and after that i will keep working on graphics

i also have a small question: why the graphics from archaic era works in game, but the graphics from campaigns not (for example from utbs, i can add these into the map, but then the map is not playable)
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

rubberduck wrote:i also have a small question: why the graphics from archaic era works in game, but the graphics from campaigns not (for example from utbs, i can add these into the map, but then the map is not playable)
AA's code must be set up so that its terrain definitions load when you load your map. Terrains such as those in UtBS only load when you load the campaign. In order for maps to load, the terrain definitions must be loaded both by the editor and the game.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

is there a piece of code (or a file) that causes that you can use the graphics from archaic era or something that causes that you can't use the graphics from utbs?
pauxlo

Post by pauxlo »

Archaic era has this in its _main.cfg:

Code: Select all

(...)
#ifdef MULTIPLAYER
(...)
{~add-ons/Archaic_Era/utils}
(...)
#endif

#ifdef EDITOR
[binary_path]
    path=data/add-ons/Archaic_Era
[/binary_path]
[editor_group]
    id=archaicera
    name= _ "Archaic Era"
    icon="group_custom"
[/editor_group]
{~add-ons/Archaic_Era/utils/terrain.cfg}
{~add-ons/Archaic_Era/utils/terrain_graphics.cfg}
{~add-ons/Archaic_Era/utils/terrain_tower_graphics.cfg}
#endif
The stuff in the #ifdef EDITOR section is only loaded when the editor is active. It includes the terrain definitions of Archaic era.

The #ifdef MULTIPLAYER block is only loaded when you are in multiplayer mode (independently of the chosen era), and it includes the terrain definitions as well. This is what makes the terrain available in MP maps, even if they are not using Archaic Era.

The campaigns based on Archaic era, like Bad Moon rising, in their respective _main.cfg files (and the respective ifdef blocks for the campaigns), also include the same files (indirectly via Archaic Era/campaign.cfg), so the terrain works there, too.

UtbS' _main.cfg (in the version of 1.10 available with Ubuntu) actually has just the same type of section:

#ifdef EDITOR
[binary_path]
    path=data/campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns
[/binary_path]
[editor_group]
    id=utbs
    name= _ "Under the Burning Suns"
    icon="group_mainline"
[/editor_group]
{campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/utils/terrain.cfg}
{campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/utils/terrain_graphics.cfg}
#endif
So you are able to use these terrains in the editor.

The terrain inclusion in the campaign is done in this block:

#ifdef CAMPAIGN_UNDER_THE_BURNING_SUNS
(...)
#Append utils folder
{UTBS_INCLUDE utils}
(...)
#endif
This block will not be included when you are in multiplayer.

To use these terrains in a scenario/campaign, you'll still have to include them there, too.

Put these two lines into your era, campaign or scenario file (at top level, not inside another tag):

{campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/utils/terrain.cfg}
{campaigns/Under_the_Burning_Suns/utils/terrain_graphics.cfg}
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

i added the #ifdef MULTIPLAYER block , but i can't see my terrain in the map, is it because there is nothing in terrain_graphics.cfg at the moment
rubberduck

Post by rubberduck »

i added now some more parts to the ice-cave

my ice-walls also behave like other cave-walls (not like the ice-walls from the addon)

the third image is edited in gimp, how it looks better for me (i don't like that the cave-wall is over the normal wall)
Attachments
new-ice-parts.jpg
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

rubberduck wrote:the third image is edited in gimp, how it looks better for me (i don't like that the cave-wall is over the normal wall)
The cave transitions over the wall to symbolize the stone wall being built into the cave wall. Your way makes the cave wall look like the floor, which is confusing.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

vultraz wrote:Your way makes the cave wall look like the floor, which is confusing.
I agree with that, but the current way makes the regular wall look like the floor for the south transitions. (The part that is in the gold selection ring in the image.) I agree with rubberduck's south edge transition.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

I think part of the issue could be resolved by making the top of the ice cave wall the same flat black as the other types of wall. That should make it clear it's impassible