Era of High Sorcery

Discussion of all aspects of multiplayer development: unit balancing, map development, server development, and so forth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Limabean

Re: Era of High Sorcery

Post by Limabean »

Elvish Pillager wrote: ...
Improved a lot of the unit-graphics code, especially for mounts.
Hey EP I was playing a game the other day and the other player mentioned that you had fixed a bunch of the graphics issues. However, the updates don't seem to be working for me. I have the latest version, but mounts and enchantments both result in an invisible or nearly invisible leader.

Any idea of what is wrong?
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Were you playing on one of the Orocia-style survivals? They use the macro {TEAM_COLOR_OVERRIDE}, which is buggy - it says "RC(" where it should say "~RC(", which messes up EoHS, but is masked by the fact that Wesnoth accepts that non-standard usage for some reason.

I thought I'd made a workaround for that, but it apparently didn't work. Anyway, Abwoon just helped me track it down on the MP server, and I've released a new version (1.1.3) that fixes it.

I also fixed a bug where the touch spells didn't work against units with no melee attack.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Elvish Pillager wrote:Were you playing on one of the Orocia-style survivals? They use the macro {TEAM_COLOR_OVERRIDE}, which is buggy - it says "RC(" where it should say "~RC(", which messes up EoHS, but is masked by the fact that Wesnoth accepts that non-standard usage for some reason.

I thought I'd made a workaround for that, but it apparently didn't work. Anyway, Abwoon just helped me track it down on the MP server, and I've released a new version (1.1.3) that fixes it.

I also fixed a bug where the touch spells didn't work against units with no melee attack.
Just tried again with 1.1.3 on a standard multiplayer map. Same result unfortunately.
Elvish_Pillager

I haven't had that problem. Are you on Wesnoth 1.10.6? And can you post a savefile where the problem has occurred?
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Actually I'm still on wesnoth 1.10.4. Would this make a difference?

And a very short example replay is attached.

Edlt: used EoHS debug mode fyi
Attachments
4p_—_Isar’s_Cross_replay.gz
(84.76 KiB) Downloaded 242 times
Elvish_Pillager

Limabean wrote:Actually I'm still on wesnoth 1.10.4. Would this make a difference?
Probably. I'm on 1.10.6 and everything in that replay looks fine to me.
Limabean

Post by Limabean »

Updated to 1.10.6 and it works great now. Sorry for the false alarm
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

I've played this era since it was relatively new, dropping out of Wenoth for 6-12 months at a time, but still enjoying this era probably the most of any. Yes, it is awesome.

Anyway, I had a suggestion and a couple of comments.

Comments first

-Devour soul gets just silly good in a long game, especially in survival scenarios, where you end up facing so many different units with different abilities to take. Regeneration, heals, cures, leadership, skirmisher, ambush, concealment, stalwart, feed... wow. And the attacks you build up can get silly as well (backstab, poison, plague*, etc). Oh, and if you get to 18 Necro, you can summon a walking corpse and devour it immediately for more max HP. Not saying to change it, or anything, just wow.

-Downpour on some maps is completely overpowered. Any map with a significant bottleneck of any kind makes it way too good, especially against the AI. I've drowned 8 units in one casting before. Even if the opponent isn't dumb enough for that, you can easily make that approach completely useless.

OK, and now the suggestion:

I've added the default factions era and made a Random faction that does not include the Wizards... so that the AI on survival scenarios get one of those instead of the wizard. This could be done with other factions, of course, too.

* ever tried killing something with a plague attack while reanimate is active? I didn't manage to kill anything with it, just curious what would happen...
Insert nifty witticism here... if only I had one.
Elvish_Pillager

Some things to note:
- Downpour is good, but it does cost you some gold and your cast for the turn. And you are fighting against another wizard, after all. (Unless you're fighting the AI. Then you should give them, like, five times as much gold to make up for it.)
- Usually the AI leader type doesn't matter so much as the recruits. AI wizards pick skills randomly, so they'll still get the ability to recruit. (If that's not happening, it's a bug and I want to hear about it.)
- The plague weapon special doesn't do anything if game scripts already made the unit alive again, so reanimate takes precedence.
- Your suggestion isn't actually a suggestion, you're just telling me something you did. :P
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

I added the defaults because the AI wasn't doing any recruiting, ever.
Elvish_Pillager

Ugh... well, I can't promise when I'll have time to track that bug down. I'm busy with other things for the foreseeable future.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

Eh, this solution works decently well, anyway. Actually, I could copy in the default eras, then change the leaders to be Red Mage and put in the other support... that would make it pretty close, actually. But it works fine as is... unless you're going to get the AI to use the spells and summons (that's gonna happen just REAL SOON NOW, right? heh).
Elvish_Pillager

Ya know, I kinda want to do that. Making the AI do that stupidly, but not TOO stupidly, probably wouldn't be terribly difficult (well, not more difficult than writing the era, anyway). But yeah, not anytime soon.
deoxy

Post by deoxy »

OK, so I was playing a single-player game with a couple of AIs, and I accidentally forgot to set them to random. One of them DID recruit, but the other didn't. The one that did recruit didn't have any picks used, though...

Weird.

Anyway, I had a thought earlier today: what if there were different leader types?

Wizard, with the current picks.

Some kind of swordmaster/military type, with melee-related choices (and similar recruiting abilities, obviously)

A "rogue" of some type, with greater movement and movement/attack type related picks - trickery of various kinds.

Perhaps some kind of "apprentice" that starts with fewer picks but gets more on level up? Beneficial in a long game, if you can manage it.

Perhaps the ability to pick off other leader types' lists for double cost? Might be used in longer games sometimes.

Just some thoughts. I'm going to be looking under the covers a bit, I think.
aoi

Post by aoi »

EoHS and some MAPs are:

Orocia : Compatible and Fun!

Deep Shrine: Compatible, Fun!

World Conquest: Not compatible(only 1st map), Great Fun!

Modified WC : Not Compatible