When to use the Hammer of Thursagan's dwarvish scout

Share and discuss strategies for playing the game, and get help and tips from other players.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

arnaldo_br

When to use the Hammer of Thursagan's dwarvish scout

Post by arnaldo_br »

I just started this campaing on hard and, on first view, the dwarvish scout looks very powerfull compared to my other options. In fact it wasn't difficult to beat the first scenario spamming it, but it didn't seem right, so i retried the map with less scouts, and finished a little sooner. In your opinion when should each unit be recruited here?
After a more careful look i suppose i understood the dwarvish fighter can take much more damage than the scout, for the sacrifice of a strong ranged attack and 1 MP, but the thunderer seems weak yet. Although it is more resilient lacks a better melee attack, and as a ranged probably won't be in the front line most of time. Plus i find his 1 strike shot a disadvantage in most of the cases.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Re: When to use the Hammer of Thursagan's dwarvish scout

Post by Anonymissimus »

I would forget about the thunderer most of the time. It is too unreliable. Only usable in situations where the defender is at maximum at 30% def and/or has weakness to pierce. Other than that, the scout is your ranged fighter, until you get mages. So, compare the scout to the thunderer, not to the fighter. Fighters are good against ranged-centric enemies, as usual.
In particular, scouts are good against woses. There are some in 06_High_Pass.cfg and you don't yet have mages.

There is a huge difference in THoT medium vs hard, as the mage you get in 06_High_Pass.cfg doesn't come with you on hard. I was forced to switch to medium anyway at that point as I couldn't beat 07_Mages_and_Drakes.cfg. The allie is ridiculously useless, enemy income ridiculously high and very hard to get some usable gold bonus from the previous scenario as the time limit is very tough.
So, I would build up with that scenario in mind, and train a few thunderers anyway, for the drakes ? Perhaps this was a mistake of mine. Afterwards the campaign gets easier, as you can recruit mages.
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
arnaldo_br

Re: When to use the Hammer of Thursagan's dwarvish scout

Post by arnaldo_br »

looks a good advice, thanks =D