Contribute art for mainline Wesnoth.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before posting critique in this forum, you must read the following thread:
Gallaecio
Translator

Galician logos

Post by Gallaecio »

I’ve just reached 100% completeness in the Galician translation of text strings for the stable branch, and I’m thinking about getting the images done as well this weekend, so the translation in the next release really rocks.

I’ve come up with the following two for the “The Battle for Wesnoth” and “The Rise of Wesnoth” logos. I have to say I’m personally quite pleased with the result, so unless you tell me “That sucks!”, I’ll be inclined to submit them as is. So, if you think I should not, just say “That sucks!” ;)
“The Battle for Wesnoth” logo in Galician.
“The Battle for Wesnoth” logo in Galician.
logo.png (64.95 KiB) Viewed 7742 times
“The Rise of Wesnoth” logo in Galician.
“The Rise of Wesnoth” logo in Galician.
So, what do you think?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Re: Galician logos

Post by ancestral »

Why are you using different fonts?
Wesnoth BestiaryPREVIEW IT HERE )
Unit tree and stat browser
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

ancestral wrote:Why are you using different fonts?
I wanted to try with a Free as in Freedom™ font. Is it too different from the original font?
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Take a look at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ImageLocalization#BfW_Logo if you haven’t already.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

ancestral wrote:Take a look at http://wiki.wesnoth.org/ImageLocalization#BfW_Logo if you haven’t already.
Do you really think I made those two logos without following the steps in that page? :)

What exactly do you want me to look at there? “Pick a font in which you would like to write the logo text. The English logo uses "Celtic Garamond the 2nd" font, easily found by Google for free download, as the starting point.”?
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Is there really a need to "translate" the name of the game?

Also it looks so huge... Reinforced by the tiny spacer between the lines.

The trow logo seems fine.
Gallaecio
Translator

Post by Gallaecio »

trewe wrote:Also it looks so huge... Reinforced by the tiny spacer between the lines.
Test with more space between the first and the second lines:
“The Battle for Wesnoth” logo, more space between lines.
“The Battle for Wesnoth” logo, more space between lines.
bfw-logo.png (64.78 KiB) Viewed 7626 times
Better?

Note: It’s just a copy and paste fix, if this looks better than the original, I would fix those shadow issues here.
trewe
Translator

Post by trewe »

Yes, better, but the contrast in size between the two parts is still brutal.
ancestral
Inactive Developer

Post by ancestral »

Gallaecio wrote:What exactly do you want me to look at there? “Pick a font in which you would like to write the logo text. The English logo uses "Celtic Garamond the 2nd" font, easily found by Google for free download, as the starting point.”?
Fair enough, but Celtic Garamond isn’t an “English” font; it’s a Latin font, which means you can use it for Gallician too.

If you’re trying to make a Battle for Wesnoth logo, there’s no good reason not to be using the same font, unless it’s in a non‐Latin script. I’m not so sure it’s going to be accepted officially otherwise.
CanvasPREVIEW IT HERE )
Exp. map viewer
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

FYI, pull requests #50 and #51, which contain these images, have already been merged.
adevega

Post by adevega »

I guess i'am late but anyway...
Gallaecio wrote:I wanted to try with a Free as in Freedom™ font. Is it too different from the original font?
It's a good idea to use a free font but i think that you should mantain the english official font until all the project decide to use a free font.
I think you should maintain consistency between translations and propose to use a free font (for all translations) in other thread.
trewe wrote:Is there really a need to "translate" the name of the game?
I agree with trewe. For example, the English 'Wesnoth' is 'Wesnoth' in Spanish version and it is not 'Nordeste' or similar. You are breacking consistency again. I think you should review other translations criterion and follow them.

I hope you reconsider both issues.

Sorry for my poor English to all the users. Unha aperta e graciñas polo teu traballo.
GunChleoc
Translator

Post by GunChleoc »

For my translation, I changed "Wesnoth" to "Beasnad" to account for Gaelic pronunciation and spelling rules, and the example on how to create the logo does the same for what I think is a Slavic language. So, adjustments like that are fine. However, I think "Noroeste" means "North-West" rather than "Wesnoth" - while this looks somewhat like West-north, the original creator of the game didn't mean it as such - it's just 2 syllables that he thought sounded good.
adevega

Post by adevega »

Exactly, "Noroeste" means "North-West". If Gallaecio had tried to account "Wesnoth" for Galician pronunciation it would propose "Güesnoz" or "Wesnoz"* instead "Noroeste". But Galician pronunciation rules are the same as the Spanish (except for the x character), so "Güesnoz" or "Wesnoz" account Spanish pronunciation too and i do not see none of them in the Spanish translation.

* Between these two "Güesnoz" is less ambiguous than "Wesnoz" because the 'W' letter have two posible pronunciations: the English pronunciation and the German pronunciation (this last is less used).